Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anti-Technomancer Sentiment
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Socinus
What is the status of anti-Technomancer sentiments in the Sixth world currently?

I would think Humanis would be anti-Technomancer, but on the other hand would they even really understand Technomancers enough to hate them?

Are there any organized efforts to eradicate Technomancers or that lobby against them?
CanRay
QUOTE (Socinus @ Sep 8 2010, 09:37 PM) *
I would think Humanis would be anti-Technomancer, but on the other hand would they even really understand Technomancers enough to hate them?

We're talking about Humanis. That's the reason to hate them all the more!

As for the current sentiment, well, depends on who you ask... They're just another persecuted minority for the most part, but a non-visible one so it's not as bad as being an Ork. Some places, however, have wholeheartedly accepted them. (I'm looking at you Garry Cline and Horizon!).

On the flip side, Countries/Corps now have Technomancer-Sniffing Dogs... Ones that can detect them even when they're in "Hidden Mode". And there is still a lot of research that needs to be done that can only be performed on living, exposed TM brains.
Socinus
Are there any groups or agencies that openly oppose/hunt Technomancers?
Nifft
would they even really understand Technomancers enough to hate them?
Since when has a lack of understanding reduced prejudice?

Are there any organized efforts to eradicate Technomancers or that lobby against them?
Well, I'd think certain corporations would have a vested interest in acquiring more TM samples, and they'd use a combination of fearmongering ("they could be in our midst! report suspicious neighbors for your own safety!") and under the table bounties, to get help from both the public and the underworld.
CanRay
MCT is the biggest culprit of TM abuse, IIRC...
TommyTwoToes
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 8 2010, 10:15 PM) *
On the flip side, Countries/Corps now have Technomancer-Sniffing Dogs... Ones that can detect them even when they're in "Hidden Mode". And there is still a lot of research that needs to be done that can only be performed on living, exposed TM brains.

What book were the dogs in? It reminds me of humnas using dogs to sniff out Terminators lol.
CanRay
I think that's the joke.

And it's in Running Wild, IIRC. Just can't find the page reference right now.
Xahn Borealis
The chapter on Technocritters.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Sep 9 2010, 12:00 PM) *
The chapter on Technocritters.

That also talks about e-cats and e-dolphins.
A cat that when you are think is sleeping, is actually traveling through VR using your node and quite possibly decides what entertainment is shown in your Trid (Animal Planet FTW).
Angelone
"Technomancers crawl into your children's windows at night, sit on their chests, and steal their breath! Just like those demon spawned awakened! They also watch as you use the bathroom and put in on the web. And cause belly button lint and bad breath!"

That's how I imagine it anyway.
Socinus
Is there any fluff that deals with Technomancers? Pre-4th edition books or any novels?

CanRay
QUOTE (Socinus @ Sep 9 2010, 07:01 PM) *
Is there any fluff that deals with Technomancers? Pre-4th edition books or any novels?

They weren't around Pre-4th. But there was Otaku.
Socinus
I'm looking for anti-Technomancer groups and information on them.

My Technomancer needs a target for his great hack smile.gif
Nifft
QUOTE (Angelone @ Sep 9 2010, 01:05 PM) *
"Technomancers crawl into your children's comlinks at night, sit on their facebook profiles, and steal their credit rating! Just like those demon spawned awakened! They also watch as you use the bathroom and put in on the web. And cause belly button lint and bad backups!"

Fixed?
CanRay
When you add "Melting your Children's Minds through the Matrix when they're logged into School Work"
Karoline
I don't know, does Humanis consider a TM a non-human? Do they consider an Awakened non-human? I know that most people put awakened and TMs in different groups, but they are largely similar.
CanRay
Well, Humanis was originally Anti-Awakened as well as Anti-Meta and Anti-Native American. But, well, they were willing to accept racist magicians easily enough.
Karoline
"Magic must defeat magic!"
tagz
QUOTE (Karoline @ Sep 10 2010, 02:36 AM) *
I don't know, does Humanis consider a TM a non-human? Do they consider an Awakened non-human? I know that most people put awakened and TMs in different groups, but they are largely similar.

Just cause the KKK started out with vicious acts against African Americans didn't stop them from branching out to other groups such as immigrants, homosexuals, Jews, etc. The only boarders hate has is understanding and human compassion.

Anyhow, try Ares or MCT for you character's target. They tend to work well.
Socinus
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 10 2010, 02:38 AM) *
Well, Humanis was originally Anti-Awakened as well as Anti-Meta and Anti-Native American. But, well, they were willing to accept racist magicians easily enough.

True, so I'm not sure what they'd do with a Technomancer. They are still technically human, but there's a lot of scares regarding Technomancers in the 2070's
CanRay
QUOTE (Socinus @ Sep 9 2010, 09:44 PM) *
True, so I'm not sure what they'd do with a Technomancer. They are still technically human, but there's a lot of scares regarding Technomancers in the 2070's

In fact, there might be arguments between the chapters of Humanis over this. Shadowruns against Humanis, for Humanis are predicted!
Karoline
"A fringe group of radical Humanis members is harboring a non-human. We need you to get it out of their compound and bring it to us so that it can be properly dealt with." Or change 'harboring a non-human' to 'threatening a human', depending on your group.
Saint Sithney
Lest we forget Resonance Trodes, Technomancers can kill you just by touching you and anyone could be one.

Booo-wwahhh-oooooh! Spooky.
Angelone
They trick your kids into doing the "impossible situp", and fart on your pillow so you get pink eye. They are ebil.
Sengir
QUOTE (Socinus @ Sep 10 2010, 03:44 AM) *
True, so I'm not sure what they'd do with a Technomancer. They are still technically human

You mean just like mages, metas, changelings, Amerinds...? Humanis are your plain vanilla racist villians, and racists will draw the line between "us" and "them" however they see it fit. Even internally displaced people will find themselves at the receiving end of the same old racist argumentation by their fellow countrymen.

Of course the other direction is just as easy, if it serves their aims Humanis will, in the blink of an eye, re-declare TMs as friends of humanity gifted with a unique power by god.
hobgoblin
I guess one way to display the "danger" of a TM would be someone that do not know they have the ability shout something like "hope you get hit by a buss!" and their sprite takes that as a command and arranges for a buss to hit the target. Basically, a in the dark TM may think they are only dealing with your average agent or drone, but sprites are much more. As such, they may be "creative" in how they handle something.
Tiralee
QUOTE (Sengir @ Sep 10 2010, 04:58 AM) *

Of course the other direction is just as easy, if it serves their aims Humanis will, in the blink of an eye, re-declare TMs as friends of humanity gifted with a unique power by god.

Nice, but you forgot the part where they blame the trogs and "other faceless meddlers" in "Preventing the true believers from carrying-out God's work" by "Creating an environment of fear and bigotry in order to throw up a smokescreen to hide their true and malicious intentions" and "Entice the innocent among us, our children, to revel in their own peverted and sick drug-fuelled fantasies".

Gods, I need a shower after typing that. And people wonder why the players like to drive out by a Humanis outpost and practise snap-shotting their new ammunition in through the front door.
I drew the line at the Barrett 121.
But it was hard.

-Tir.
CanRay
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Sep 10 2010, 10:24 AM) *
Gods, I need a shower after typing that. And people wonder why the players like to drive out by a Humanis outpost and practise snap-shotting their new ammunition in through the front door.
I drew the line at the Barrett 121.
But it was hard.
-Tir.

More self-restraint than I.
sabs
Might be a nice place to test that new full auto grenade launcher smile.gif
Lugburz
Ah, Humanis. It could be that we've got bigger fish out there actively trying to kill us, but we've encountered few Humanis for some reason. There was one we ran into while busting an organ-legging ring, though. After busting the captives out (under the guise of UCAS army elites) we offered them a chance to be help us fight our way out, and the Humanis guy and an Orkish ganger step forward. He wasn't too bad, either, even fighting beside an Ork and under the command of another Ork. Didn't mean I wasn't going to rib him though. "On your toes, private Sneeve! You're in the UCAS army now, not that pansy-ass Humanis Pony-club!"

So anyway, Technomancers. I would like to at least do some parts of Emergence in my game, even if one or two of the players occasionally cringe when I mention it. So here's my thoughts on the atmosphere: there's people who know only what they've hear, which has all been bad. I.E. what's been mentioned in previous posts. Then there's the people who do understand technomancers. Unfortunately, they suffer the effects of stereotype and preconception too, leading to the dreaded "Indian Scout Syndrome". Technomancers are obviously the best when it comes to certain things, they get headhunted and given jobs that they may not be ready (or qualified) for. In this case, people may THINK they're doing the right thing for them, but it may not always be so.
Sengir
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Sep 10 2010, 04:24 PM) *
Nice, but you forgot the part where they blame the trogs and "other faceless meddlers" in "Preventing the true believers from carrying-out God's work" by "Creating an environment of fear and bigotry in order to throw up a smokescreen to hide their true and malicious intentions" and "Entice the innocent among us, our children, to revel in their own peverted and sick drug-fuelled fantasies".

For completeness you should also mention that any meta who doesn't do this is "no true Scotsman" or just hiding his true face, because metas will ALWAYS act like that. And of course all that has nothing to do with racism, we are just stating objective facts about a threat to out great country, which the elf-controlled media tries to sweep under the rug.
Yes, it's always fascinating to see how interchangable xenophobic rethorics are. Except for the name of the bogeyman it's always the same.

A bit more on the original topic, dissonant TMs would also qualify as "anti-TM", and they are not too picky about their methods.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Angelone @ Sep 10 2010, 07:51 AM) *
They trick your kids into doing the "impossible situp", and fart on your pillow so you get pink eye.

Sometimes I'm glad I don't understand slang like that. Like now, for instance.
Socinus
Is there any information on MCT's research into Technomancers?
Tiralee

"Apparently, they taste like...chicken..."

-Tir
Karoline
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Sep 11 2010, 02:00 PM) *
Sometimes I'm glad I don't understand slang like that. Like now, for instance.

Oh, that was slang? I thought it was just gibberish. biggrin.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Socinus @ Sep 12 2010, 11:45 PM) *

Corp Guide. Long story short: They still vivisect humans, one of their victims is
[ Spoiler ]

and I am getting the impression that they are involved in some sinister stuff involving the remains of Deus and Ex Pacis.
Angelone
Pink Eye

Impossible Sit up

Hmph! gibberish!?! You just don't understand brilliance wobble.gif
Kumo

Emergence plotbook.
If you want to know something more about some in-famous scientist's past, you can also check first Threats and Psychotrope - but there's nothing about TMs.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Sep 9 2010, 10:54 AM) *
That also talks about e-cats and e-dolphins.
A cat that when you are think is sleeping, is actually traveling through VR using your node and quite possibly decides what entertainment is shown in your Trid (Animal Planet FTW).

Can I have an E-Dog welsh corgi? I'll name him Zwei...
Socinus
Im actually trying to get an e-ferret for my Technomancer smile.gif
CanRay
I want a pony.
Karoline
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 15 2010, 10:33 PM) *
I want a pony.

Now you're talking really rare stuff nyahnyah.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Sep 13 2010, 07:17 PM) *
Can I have an E-Dog welsh corgi? I'll name him Zwei...

I thought the same thing when I read that chapter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012