Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sustaining Spell Questions...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jonny Reload
I pretty much had 3 questions in terms of Sustaining Spells, if anyone could gimme some page numbers or reference links I'd be really greatful!

When you cast and Sustain a Spell on someone that's within line of sight, do they need to remain within your line of sight in order to keep sustaining it or can you walk away and keep it up?

With Spell Sustaining Foci, in the Street Magic book on pg. 84, it states you can stack 2 different types of Foci, but what if you wanted to stack 2 of the Sustaining Foci of the same types? (ex. 2 Force 3 Health Sustaining Foci to make it 1 Force 6 Foci)

Finally, is there anyway you can upgrade your foci without wasting the investment of Karma and having to repurchase one all over again? (Ex. You have a Force 6 Sustaining Foci and you just bought up your Magic to 7, can you somehow upgrade your Sustaining Foci to Force 7 or do you have to rebind a whole new one?)
Makki
-yes, they can walk away, but not through wards
-no
-no, but there's always GM fiat
Jonny Reload
So basically it's a matter of investing in Foci at the beginning of your first few missions or hold off until you get to the desired Magic rating you wanted?
Karoline
QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ Sep 11 2010, 02:49 AM) *
So basically it's a matter of investing in Foci at the beginning of your first few missions or hold off until you get to the desired Magic rating you wanted?

More or less. I don't think the enchanting rules have anything for 'upgrading' a focus.

Then again, the rules don't have anything for upgrading 'ware either, but some groups allow it. Might be able to convince your GM that focus upgrades should be allowed as well if 'ware upgrades are allowed.

Oh, and one slight addendum for Makki's answer. The person can walk through a ward, but either the ward or the spell will break in doing so.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
With Spell Sustaining Foci, in the Street Magic book on pg. 84, it states you can stack 2 different types of Foci, but what if you wanted to stack 2 of the Sustaining Foci of the same types? (ex. 2 Force 3 Health Sustaining Foci to make it 1 Force 6 Foci)

Well... you can have a Stacked Foci, And I would see no reason that you could not have a Stacked Foci that consists of a Single Focus with 2 Sustaining Foci (Force 3 Each), both of which were the same Spell Category (Health)...

You would not have a Force 6 Sustaining Focus however, it would be a Stacked Foci with 2 Force 3 Sustaining Foci blended together... it is a subtle difference, but an important one... wobble.gif
Rand
Please excuse me as I do a minor hijack to as a more refined version of the followin question:

QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ Sep 11 2010, 03:37 AM) *
When you cast and Sustain a Spell on someone that's within line of sight, do they need to remain within your line of sight in order to keep sustaining it or can you walk away and keep it up?

If the spell in question is an illusion, do they still need to keep it in sight or can they just let it walk around the corner?
Mordinvan
QUOTE (Rand @ Sep 12 2010, 07:17 AM) *
Please excuse me as I do a minor hijack to as a more refined version of the followin question:

If the spell in question is an illusion, do they still need to keep it in sight or can they just let it walk around the corner?

They can let it walk around the corner, but they'll still need to be controlling it, so the illusions ability to 'interact' with the environment is going to be limited based on the mage's understanding of the environment at the time.
Rand
So imposing negatives to the die roll - or positives to the opposed rolls - would be in order, again depending upon the difference between what the mage thinks the environment is like and what it actually is like..
Tanegar
QUOTE (Rand @ Sep 12 2010, 09:24 AM) *
So imposing negatives to the die roll - or positives to the opposed rolls - would be in order, again depending upon the difference between what the mage thinks the environment is like and what it actually is like..

Bonuses to observers' disbelief rolls would be more appropriate, IMO - nothing like seeing somebody walk through a table to convince you they're illusory.
Rand
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 12 2010, 08:30 AM) *
Bonuses to observers' disbelief rolls would be more appropriate, IMO - nothing like seeing somebody walk through a table to convince you they're illusory.

Or if he was suddenly walking on air......
Karoline
QUOTE (Rand @ Sep 12 2010, 11:01 AM) *
Or if he was suddenly walking on air......

Yeah, given the lack of gravity working on an illusion, a slight grade in either direction could easily mess up a mage.

That said, I thought an illusion was something that needed to be kept in LoS similar to clarvoiance.
Rand
QUOTE (Karoline @ Sep 12 2010, 11:29 AM) *
Yeah, given the lack of gravity working on an illusion, a slight grade in either direction could easily mess up a mage.

That said, I thought an illusion was something that needed to be kept in LoS similar to clarvoiance.

That is basically what I am asking, because I don't see anywhere in the book where it says that. Common sense says, "stay in sight." But, it is magic...
Dahrken
If I'm not mistaken you need LoS to move/change the illusion, but not to sustain an illusion that does not require input from the mage (like the illusion of a wall, a Mask spell, or an area effect like Chaotic World)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012