Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DocWagon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Apathy
What triggers when DocWagon comes to haul your remains to safety? Whenever you get a serious wound? My group seems to be getting them all the time, then healing them via their mage, so should DW show up, pissed, because they drove all that way for nothing?

And how long would it take for them to arrive? How much should this be modified for coming out to the Barrens? To Glow City?
Siege
DocWagon has two primary notification methods by card holders.

1. Voluntary activation -- the client breaks the card or snaps the bracelet, sending a signal to alert DocWagon.

2. Involuntary activation -- a biomonitor in the bracelet detects a "dangerous anomaly" in the client and contacts DocWagon directly.

However, the involuntary activation requires a "Super Platinum" service.

Would they be pissed? Not really -- they're still on the clock. Of course, at GM discretion, DocWagon corporate may start to seriously evaluate your PCs as clients if this happens on a semi-routine basis.

Page 304, BBB.

It's interesting to note that DocWagon will not cross into extraterritorial government or corporate property to pick up a client without the express consent of that authority. Last line in the paragraph, BBB, page 304.

-Siege

Edit: Dangerous locations probably get lumped together which include costs for employee deaths, injuries and so on. Alternatively, DocWagon may simply refuse to service certain areas without a minimum DocWagon contract. "You'd better be Super-Platinum if you're going into Glow City."
techboy
QUOTE (Siege)
However, the involuntary activation requires a "Super Platinum" service.

I just noticed this myself.

Since I happen to know that the individual in question has only Platinum service, it would appear that if the team pursues the current strategy of "Surround the building the idiot Night One was dragged into by the wasp spirits and let DocWagon haul him out", they're going to be waiting a very long time.

On the other hand, one more flesh form= 20000 nuyen.gif Kaching! (Current run joke)
Siege
Look carefully at the "expenses for employee death" clause of the DocWagon scenario.

That's going to be an expensive proposition, PDQ.

-Siege
techboy
QUOTE (Siege)
Look carefully at the "expenses for employee death" clause of the DocWagon scenario.

That's going to be an expensive proposition, PDQ.

-Siege

Not going to happen. The individual in question is unconscious, and does not have the Super-Platinum. He's going to have to depend on the heroism of his teammates, at least one of whom spent the entire altercation previous to the situation hiding behind a trash bin.
Apathy
2. Involuntary activation -- a biomonitor in the bracelet detects a "dangerous anomaly" in the client and contacts DocWagon directly.

I guess my question was 'What would constitute a dangerous anomoly?'

I assume stun damage wouldn't. So, Moderate Wound, or Serious Wound, or 'close to' Deadly?
techboy
QUOTE (Apathy)

I assume stun damage wouldn't. So, Moderate Wound, or Serious Wound, or 'close to' Deadly?

Dangerous anomoly sound to me like "life-threatening". I'd say serious or higher physical. Of course, this only applies to Super-Platinum. I think there's also a provision for if the wristband is "ruptured", though, and that seems to apply to all 4 levels of service.
Siege
QUOTE (Apathy)

I dunno -- presumeably, the biomonitor would have something similar to the diagnosis processor listed in M&M, so it could be scaled for the client's particular feelings of concern.

Some diva would probably have the thing go off if he got a splinter while others might push the envelope to "when I'm about to flatline".

The Gm could either arbitrarily decide what constitutes dangerous, or simply have them roll when the patient goes unconscious -- willpower rolls to stake awake at Serious+ injuries.

-Siege
Apathy
I think there's also a provision for if the wristband is "ruptured", though, and that seems to apply to all 4 levels of service.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't apply to him. He didn't try to set anything off until he was already subdued by 2 flesh forms. The next question, though, is would I let him take back his declared action of letting himself go unconscious (turning off pain editor), so that he's free to try and activate it now if an opportunity presents itself?
Frag-o Delux
A character of mine had an Ares contact from a few runs before. We were ambushed by a bug spirit and we had no way at hand to fight off. So while running around a giant factory, I called my buddy and tried to get an Ares Bug squad out there. We ended up fighting Ares a little also as they wanted to take us in for testing to make sure we were not Bugs.
Siege
QUOTE (Apathy)
I think there's also a provision for if the wristband is "ruptured", though, and that seems to apply to all 4 levels of service.

Unfortunately, that wouldn't apply to him. He didn't try to set anything off until he was already subdued by 2 flesh forms. The next question, though, is would I let him take back his declared action of letting himself go unconscious (turning off pain editor), so that he's free to try and activate it now if an opportunity presents itself?

It seems reasonable since the character, if not the player, would obviously spot the flaw in the plan...

"But DocWagon only auto-calls to Super Platinum or better...hey! Waitaminute! You #^$%^*)!"

-Siege
Kagetenshi
I'd say that the Super-Platinum devices would always trigger a call at Serious damage. That's equivalent to a lost limb or other massive trauma, and at Deadly there's no way anyone who isn't extremely healthy is going to still be alive when the EMTs get there (nine seconds for a typical person? Ambulances go fast, but not that fast).

~J
BitBasher
Remember if you are anowhere outside a B or so rating neighborhood they need to send an HTR team, and if they send HTR you have to pay for it, only Gold or platinum and above have HTR included in the fees. Also, you still have to pay for associated medical care unless your contract type is high enough.

If a nornam, non HTR doc wagon team shows up and theres a firefight or dangerous situation, its likely they will do NOTHING except send for an HTR team and wait for them to arrive to handle it.

HTR = High Threat Response team.
Apathy
For my game, I guess I'll declare that the default is 'involuntary activation only occurs when they get a Serious Physical wound or worse'.

I won't do the unconscious thing, because I don't think they'd react to stun damage. (They can't heal it anyway.) After all, they're a medical service, not a bodyguard service.
Siege
QUOTE (Apathy)
For my game, I guess I'll declare that the default is 'involuntary activation only occurs when they get a Serious Physical wound or worse'.

I won't do the unconscious thing, because I don't think they'd react to stun damage. (They can't heal it anyway.) After all, they're a medical service, not a bodyguard service.

How often does someone acquire Stun in game? Usually it's a medical condition which might be a precursor to more serious things.

And a Serious anything is...well...serious. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Abstruse
Also note that every DocWagon bracelet comes with a PANICBUTTON attached, and that his pals outside could go to the nearest streetside PANICBUTTON and place a call to DocWagon saying their friend was just incapacitated (thus unable to trigger his bracelet), taken inside such-and-such place, has a Platinum contract, and might be in danger of physical harm. DocWagon may (please note the MAY) check their files and trace the guy's location, see that he is a Platinum contract and is where he says he is, and might send an ambulance of HTR team to check on his status. DocWagon may be an uncaring megacorp, but Platinum contracts are Platinum contracts. That's a good 50,000¥ a year I'm sure they wouldn't want to lose. Depends on how busy, what area, and how serious the operator takes the call (in other words, it's up to the GM whether or not the DW operator takes the call seriously or thinks it might be a prank or, worse, a group of gang members wanting to geek the amulance/HTR crew and steal their vehical and gear).

The Abstruse One
Nikoli
Actually, the bio-monitor alerts DW when the patient receives a medium wounds. It's stated int he game mechanics of the Super-platinum contract I believe.
Siege
QUOTE (Nikoli)
Actually, the bio-monitor alerts DW when the patient receives a medium wounds. It's stated int he game mechanics of the Super-platinum contract I believe.

Which book? I didn't see it in BBB.

-Siege
ShadowPhoenix
I read through BBB, Matrix, M&M and couldn't find any reference as to when Docwagon Bracelets make the automated call, According to BBB the Superplatinum makes the call when the Characters health signs waver from "safe" limits. and the qoutations are the books, meaning the GM can decide when their bracelet feels it's time for the call. Also don't forget the Docwagon bracelet is a phone, and they generally will call to verify that the bracelet wasn't activated by mistake, it's just more efficient than rolling a HTR only to find out the guy accidently hit his bracelet against something and set it off.
Nikoli
I think it was noted back in 2nd edition. In the books that originally listed it. Try fields of Fire. I remember distinctly reading that a medium wounds would set the bracelet off, but I can't remember where that was.
ShadowPhoenix
As I don't have 2nd Ed books(except a couple) I'll have to defer to someone who does nyahnyah.gif anyone have the 2nd core/FoF as reference, I'd like to know what it says too.
Nikoli
It's not in the 2nd ed BBB. Nor in cybertech nor shadowtech.
Siege
Someone may want to check SoNA or NAGtNA if they're bored.

The SR Companion includes a list of additional DocWagon costs, which includes a flat HTR response fee (pages 90-91).

Of course, 5k doesn't like that much, considering how much everything else costs in the SR world.

I seem to recall a paragraph mentioning ammo costs would be included for HTR calls, but I don't remember where I read that.

-Siege
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (Siege)
Some diva would probably have the thing go off if he got a splinter while others might push the envelope to "when I'm about to flatline".

Reminds me of something i read in one of my Cyberpunk books (a day in the life of trauma team or somesuch)

Some rocker got mobbed by a load of addoring girlies and he trigger his Trauma Team account. And another one about a Corper choking on his sushi, then get abusive (and his account revoked) when they gave a standard response charge, for performing the himlick (SP? not a chance) manouver.

Note: Trauma Team is CP2020's version of Doc Wagon except that all teams are HTR and travel in AV 4's (Flying Urban Assault Vehicles)
Voran
Neo-anarch's guide also seemed to indicate that if anyone gets caught popping their bracelet in the hopes they get a free butt-saving by a HTR docwagon team, gets their coverage revoked.

It may have also been Sprawl Survival Guide that noted that what runners consider 'safe zones' for their biorythyms is not what Docwagon would for its higher contract people. Probably would actually trigger a response with a moderate physical wound.
Luke Hardison
Exactly. Your average legal contract holder would probably want their band to trigger when they get plugged with an average gun wound (M, or even putting in a call for L, I would think).
Siege
QUOTE (Voran)
Neo-anarch's guide also seemed to indicate that if anyone gets caught popping their bracelet in the hopes they get a free butt-saving by a HTR docwagon team, gets their coverage revoked.

It may have also been Sprawl Survival Guide that noted that what runners consider 'safe zones' for their biorythyms is not what Docwagon would for its higher contract people. Probably would actually trigger a response with a moderate physical wound.

The phrase "take one for the team" takes on a whole new meaning.

Odds are DocWagon won't conduct ballistics tests to figure out where that new bullet in the contract holder's leg came from...grinbig.gif

-Siege
Voran
Hmm. Yknow I've never considered the thought of a runner intentionally shooting themself to get get a docwagon extraction team smile.gif

Siege
QUOTE (Voran)
Hmm. Yknow I've never considered the thought of a runner intentionally shooting themself to get get a docwagon extraction team smile.gif

I never thought the runner would think to shoot himself.

Although I suspect his teammates would think of it rather quickly...

Player 1: "Oh frag! We're outnumbered, flanked and pinned down! Quick, hit your DocWagon bracelet!"

Player 2: "Sorry guys, if DocWagon gets another false alarm, they're going to cancel my contract and charge one hell of a responder fee."

Player 1: "What's a false alarm?"

Player 2: "Oh, you know -- breaking my bracelet without any injury to the contract holder and in the middle of a firefight...something like that."

Player 1: "Oh. Pick a leg."

Player 2: "Huh?"

Player 1: <BLAM!> <BLAM!>

Player 2: "Aaarrggghhh! You didn't have to shoot me twice!"

Player 1: "Yes I did -- just because you made me shoot you once."

And, on the bright side, less ammo to carry out. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Nikoli
ROFL, less ammo...

"Yes officer, this gun has too many bullets in it" -BLAM -BLAM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012