Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Arcane Libraries
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stormdrake
Initially I was looking at a houserule dealing with the possible advantages of a mage/shaman casting a spell from their library or the original formula of the spell. Could they get a bonus or even add the rating of the library or formula to their spellcasting pool? So I decided to go back and look at the cannon uses of a library.

After going through both the main book and Street Magic I have found that nowhere do the rules say anything about using a magical library or its rating in any way. So what is the point of them? I am assuming their use is tucked away on some random page that I missed and that this is not a case of the authors changing something and forgetting to remove all bits.

Can someone help?
suoq
Do you mean "Magical Lodge", your awakened home away from home on the Astral Plane? If so, look at Mana Barriers (pg 194 SR4A).
Stormdrake
Ok yea. Looks like they are lumping the old lodge and libraries from previous editions under one heading. However, under equipment they still have magical libraries listed with a rating of 1-3.
pbangarth
Would that be the PocketMage Library, on page 67 of Arsenal? That gives you dice for figuring out paranormal critters, spirits and magic in general.
Stormdrake
Alright now I got it. 3rd edition keeps slipping into my thinking.

So if the pocket library adds dice for figuring out paranormal critters, spirits and magic in general why would the magic lodge not do the same or does it?
suoq
One is a maqgical building and the other is a wiki?
Yerameyahu
Jack *and* squat. smile.gif
Stormdrake
The description indicates that books (ie. a library) may be a part of the lodge. So I guess a library could be a part of the lodge but also have its own rating for figuring things out.

In 3rd edition you could have a library that was aspected towards the indivdual fields of magical research. You could then add the rating of a library to a specific test if the aspect applied. An example would be a library aspected towards combat spells adding its rating to the creation of a combat spell formula or the test to learn a combat spell. Can this still be done or has it been written out of RAW?
pbangarth
The lodge is required for learning spells, ritual magic and possibly other functions, and provides a warded area for the mage.
Daddy's Little Ninja
What are the good for? watching Snow Fox go crazy looking for the one book you just hid from her.
Dahrken
IMHO a magic library is useless to cast a spell, but it can help to design a formula (with the Arcane skill) and give a bonus to magic-related Knowledges skills. It may also give a bonus to the tests to enchant a focus, to alchemical procedures, and possibly help learning a new spell.
Neraph
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 16 2010, 12:49 PM) *
Would that be the PocketMage Library, on page 67 of Arsenal? That gives you dice for figuring out paranormal critters, spirits and magic in general.

You mean the Pokedex?

"Barghest: the Massive Mastiff Awakened Critter! It's bark really is more terrible than its bite!"
Sengir
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Sep 16 2010, 08:47 PM) *
In 3rd edition you could have a library that was aspected towards the indivdual fields of magical research. You could then add the rating of a library to a specific test if the aspect applied. An example would be a library aspected towards combat spells adding its rating to the creation of a combat spell formula or the test to learn a combat spell. Can this still be done or has it been written out of RAW?

Maybe adapt the build/repair rules, with books or whatever else is appropriate to your tradition taking the role of working conditions and tools?
Lansdren
The little poketmage book thing is just a bonus to related knowledge skills really. It can help someone work out roughtly what they might be dealing with if its not a rare thing but it is basically across between a wiki and the pokedex as mentioned above.

As for bonuses to learning spells and creating spells I cant see anything in the raw but that doesnt mean it isnt there somewhere.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012