Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR3 Complete Example Matrix Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Dragon835
I've just finished GMing a Matrix run (Shadowrun 3) with a single player, Jagawatz, on my website:

shadowrun3.webs.com

I figured posting a transcript of the whole run here may help anyone who does not understand the complex rules involved in decking in Third Edition. It starts off very plainly spoken, and gradually gets more and more into the meat of the run. We only used the core rulebook for this; I didn't want to muck it up with all the extra material from the Matrix sourcebook.

This run is the kick-off point for an adventure that currently has two players, both of them deckers. If anyone is interested, we could probably use up to two more players.

Anyway, here it is. Enjoy!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OrbiTronics Matrix Run, Shadowrun 3

GM: Anarissa Oneki, 30, is one of the lead project engineers at OrbiTronics, a company that specializes in space vehicles, such as lunar landers, satellites, etc. She's being blackmailed for some past indiscretions for quite a bit of money, but apparently her nuyen has run out.

You've been hired to alter her personal file with data provided to you by your employer, and you've been given the Matrix IP for the non-public OrbiTronics site. Get in, copy her old file, upload the new file, and get out. If you're successful, you're looking at a cool 1500 nuyen.

The "trip" is an overseas one... you'll have to start in the Seattle LTG, and then shoot over via RTG's to Japan, where
you'll find the vanishing SAN for OrbiTronics HQ. The time and date that this SAN appears is encrypted, and seemingly random, unless you know the key, which you do.

We're going into this run step by step, so your first task is to Logon To Host, the Seattle LTG. You're looking at a grid
that is a Green-Easy: Green-4 ACIFS: 6/8/6/6/6. You're logging on through an illegal jackpoint in your Redmond squat (I'm not at this point using the optional rules for jackpoints or their effect on bandwidth. I'm sticking to just the core rule book stuff until we get more comfortable).

Roll your Computer skill vs a target number of 6 (for the Access rating of the grid) minus your Deception utility rating.

Meanwhile, the grid is going to roll it's System Value (the number after the color, or in this case 4) dice vs a target
number equal to your Detection Factor (which is your Masking Rating averaged with your Sleaze utility rating, which in your case is a 5.

I don't know how much you know about the process of decking so at first I'm going to explain everything. If it gets

redundant, let me know. Once you post your die roll results (and don't forget your hacking pool, although for this task you probably won't need any) you'll be online and we'll continue from there. Usually, I wouldn't let you know your Security Tally as it builds up, but for this purpose I will.

Any questions?

----------------------------

PLAYER: Getting to the system is usually the easy part.

((7 Successes logon to the Seattle LTG. Computer/Decking 5/7 TN 2, 6 -4 deception Util))

((6 Successes to logon to the UCAS RTG. TN 2, Green 4 - Deception 4 = base 2))

((I dont know the system rating for Japan, so I left it open. I hit TN of 9 with dice, 13 when add in the deception util. TN ? -4 Deception Util))

((Again, didnt know the rating so I left it open. Logon to Japan Area LTG. Lots of exploding dice, I hit at least a TN16, TN ? -4 Deception Util))

((Open Rating again. Logon to OrbiTronics Host. I hit TN 15, -4 Deception ))

---------------------

GM: A blink, and you're in. The Pacific Northwest, rendered in translucent wireframe and filled to the brim with icons of all different shapes and sizes floating just above the flat horizon, pans out all around you; it sparkles and flashes with
billions of megapulses of data like a tremendous, infinite lightning storm.

But that's not what you're interested in. You can see the spiraling spike of power and data reaching into the starless night that is the link to the UCAS RTG. Effortlessly, you fly at the speed of thought up to a spinning cloud that has thousands of similar data lines shooting off into the distance; links to all the RTG's in the (known) world. You barely even have to think about it, and you've hacked your little illegal self (BTW, what does your icon look like??) into the cloud and fly above the artificial world, arcing over the Pacific (which is also surprisingly full of icons above and below the grid surface) and you see the Nagasaki RTG streaming towards you.

It's an unusual RTG in that they actually bother to give it some details beyond the typical... it's a garden, and it's
beautiful even if it is still wireframe. You don't need to analyze this... it's an Orange host, but it's System Value (SV) is
low. So many people transit this host, one of the busiest in Japan, that they keep the protocols low to enhance flow. There are plenty of stories, though, about how Glacial this grid can become if you mess about too much. You easily slide your way in, and free-fall down towards the island of Japan.

The time and date start flashing in your field of view; perfect timing. If you're right, that SAN for OrbiTronics should be
flashing into view right about...

There she is. You've got 5 microseconds (seems like three days, in the perceptions of the Matrix). No problem. You're in the system, and you find yourself...

Back in Space??

...to be continued.

Alright, I'm going to ignore the tally you accumulated (2) in the UCAS, as it gets dropped when you switch RTG's. Nagasaki (there are several RTG's in Japan, one for each region) must have been napping. 1 success on a test of it's Security Value (SV) of 3 vs. your Detection Factor of 5.

OrbiTronics, the Green 8 host, also didn't roll very well. Only one success.

That puts you right now standing inside the OrbiTronics host with a tally of 2 (RTG tallies accumulate and add to the Host tally until you leave the RTG).

I'll post soon on the host, and we'll get into the meat of it.

-------------------------

PLAYER: Jason's Icon is pretty much a ripoff of Indianna Jones however he goes by the name Tex Arcana.

Young man, dirty / dusty / torn cloting, leather pouches on belt, bullwhip, pistol and hat.

-----------------------------

GM: The OT host's paradigm is one of a space station. As the host's code surrounds you, you find yourself inside a plastic, transparent tube that connects one segment of a tremendous space station to another. You can see Earth orbiting serenely, with a slightly exaggerated Japanese island in the center of your view, far below. Satellites, meteorites, and space-suited technicians float all about the station outside.

From here, it's up to you. Whichever operation you would like to attempt will take you to the section of the station that is appropriate. For example, if you tell me you want to go directly to the Files section, your icon will float through the
station to the administrative bubble. Want to see what new projects OT has on tap? Your icon will find itself quickly at the entrance to the PLTG (private LTG, a higher-security host imbedded inside the current host). Want to watch live (virtually) testing of current orbital vehicles? Welcome to the Slave subsystem.

Remember that any and all tasks you attempt also means that the host runs a subroutine against you, which may increase your tally. Just for the record, the OrbiTronics computer system is Green-8 ACIFS: 12/14/11/11/14.

Whatcha gonna do, Tex?

------------------------

PLAYER: Tex glides to the files section and reaches into his pouches, pulling out an old fasioned flashlight. He waves the beam around in search of Ms. Oneki's personal file.

Locate File Action. Browse vs Index rtg. Index 11 - Browse 4 = TN 7. 1 Success.

-----------------------------

GM: You do locate the file, and your icon glides quickly to the area containing many of the personnel files.

The host rolls 8 dice vs. your detection factor of 5 and scores 2 successes. Your tally now stands at 4... not enough yet to reach the first trigger point. The files section of the space station resembles the inside of a polyhedron, specifically a d20, oddly enough. Each of the 20 sides contains hexagon shaped file drawers. What's your next step?

------------------------------

PLAYER: Tex shines his flashlight around the sides of the polyhedron until the beam of light suddenly gets brighter as it passes over a side. With a digital grin, Tex reaches out, grasping at the underlying code.

Download Data Action. Read/Write vs Files rtg. Files 11 - R/W 4 = TN 7.

0 Successes.

----------------------------------

GM: Your first attempt gains you another 2 points of Security Tally, which launches the first trigger step, a Probe-4.

A test against your Sensors attribute of 4 vs a target number of 4 (the IC's rating) nets you only one success, but it's
enough... out of the corner of your eye you spot a satellite that looks remarkably like the Sputnik peering through a
porthole, and it's definately interested in you! This test ordinarily isn't one you'd know about unless you succeeded, which you did this time.

This IC complicates things a bit. From here on out, the Host gets two attempts to increase your security tally... the first
time is with 8 dice (the Hosts rating) and again with 4 dice (the IC).

You have many options at this point. You can attack the Probe in cybercombat, or you could try a maneuver to evade it, although that only delays the inevitable. Probe's are reactive, so they can't actively interefere with your actions, but
extra tally numbers add up quickly.

---------------------------

PLAYER: Tex unfurls his whip and sends it toward the sputnik, sparks and smoke erupt from the point where the whip passes through the space station wall.

Attack Deadly 4 vs TN 4

One Success.

---------------------------------

GM: With a TN of 4 (for attacking a legitimate icon on a Green host), your 1 success is resisted by the Host's Security Value 8 vs a TN of the force of the attack (4). It scores 4 successes; one of those offsets your success, and two of the other three stage the damage down to Serious. The Probe is now at Serious damage, and its TN's are increased by 3 from this point forward. It has no attack, and cybercombat does not incur an attempt by the host to increase your tally, so it's your attack again! We don't need to worry about initiative or number of actions at this point (because the IC is Reactive, and cannot take actions against you other than it's programming to query system operations), as you obviously already figured out.

PLAYER: Tex lashes out with his whip at the Sputnik satellite and rips a gaping hole in the IC's Icon. Rearing back again, Tex launches his whip at the IC, attempting to put it out of commission.

Attack Deadly 4 vs TN 4

1 Success 4d6 → [2,5,3,3]

Should this roll put the IC down, I'd like to suppress it.

GM: Once again the host attempts to defend the Probe; 8 dice vs. TN 7 (4 +3 more for the damage it's taken) nets ZERO successes!

The Sputnik icon starts to spark and smoke (in space? wierd...)as it begins to disintegrate. A quick whip, and you pull it back and wrap it up in your classic leather jacket. There's truth to the saying whoever strikes first usually wins!

The Probe-4 IC has been crashed! Ordinarily, it's rating would add to the security tally, but since you've suppressed it, you're in the clear... except for now your Detection Factor has dropped to 4. It will stay at that lower rate until you dump the smouldering Sputnik you've got in your coat...

Otherwise, your security tally stands now at 6. You do however have the location of the file you're looking for, but were unsuccessful at your first attempt to extract the information.

-------------------------------------

PLAYER: Now, feeling a bit more secure, Tex once again attempts to download Mrs. Johnson's file. He reaches out and grabs at the code, even as it constantly slips away from his grasp.

Read/Write vs Files rtg. Files 11 - R/W 4 = TN 7

9d6 → [1,2,2,3,3,3,1,1,1] 0 Successes.

---------------------------------

GM: Um... that roll blew. The host rolls 8 dice vs. TN 4 (because your detection factor is now one lower) and scores 3
successes. Your tally now stands at 9. You haven't reached the next trigger step yet... and I'm no longer going to tell you when you have, or what your tally is.

The heat is on, Tex!

PLAYER: Tex swears at the system continually blocks him, he resolves himself to one final attempt and he reaches out once more.

one success.

9d6 → [3,1,1,2,2,1,2,5,6]

-----------------------------------

GM: Finally! The file is yours. It's a small file, much smaller than your I/O speed, so it takes less than a second to download it to your memory.

A flicker from your deck's onboard sensors gives you a hint something's up... you spin around but don't see anything.

Until you look above you. Through another porthole (a much bigger one) you see a classic representation of an early '80's space-suited astronaut (MTV style) peering down at you, mirrored visor glimmering with antipathy.

One success for your Sensors tells you that it's another Probe, and it's a bit more intimidating.

EDIT: Since the file is so small, and your deck has response increase, I'm going to allow you to attempt the upload of the new file during the same time, if you'd like. It will not prevent you from reacting to the new IC since we have not gone into combat phases yet. If you do upload the file, it will still call for an attempt by the host to locate you, i.e.
increase your tally. Your call.

-------------------------------------

PLAYER: Tex will attempt to upload the file at the same time.

Two successes

7d6 → [1,3,1,5,1,6,6]

--------------------------------------

GM: The file swap is done. You've replaced Ms. Oneki's personnel file with the tampered one as you were paid to do.

Unfortunately, the system was watching for you... your sensors pick up the tell tales of another icon maneuvering into your data space, and you can almost feel it breathing down your neck. Spinning, you see that the spaceman is pointing directly at you, and another IC icon, a cartoonish spinning UFO with not-so cartoonish weapons, is bristling for a fight. It distracts you, but not so much that you miss the fact that a dark, grey ooze has sprung up around your feet that is attempting to melt one of your operational utilities (your Spoof-4).

The Tar Baby rolls 7 dice vs. TN 4 (the Spoof rating) and scored three successes. Unless you're going to just let it go and head for the hills, you'll need to roll 4 dice vs. TN 7 and score four successes (DON'T FORGET YOUR DECKING POOL!!!) or the Spoof gets erased from your current memory.

...and I'll go ahead and let you know your tally now stands at 21. The spaceman (probe) and the UFO (scout) will both
contribute towards your tally from now on out.

------------------------------------------

PLAYER: Tex ignores the ooze as it does its work, instead he focuses on getting out of the system without leaving any digital footprints behind. His work complete, Tex attempts a graceful logoff.

TN 8 One Success (even using my max pool!)

[2,3,1,3,5,4,2,3,9,5,5]

------------------------------------

GM: The Tar-Baby dissolves, crashing as it takes your utility with it. The host scores two successes, which prevents your graceful logoff from completing, and the Probe and Scout get a combined total of 4 successes, putting your tally at 27.

Amber flashing lights flick on and off around you suddenly, and you can feel the tension in the virtual air: Passive Alert!

The Host's rating stays at 8, but the ACIFS increases by two across the board:

14/16/13/13/16

I think you should try rolling real dice... that die roller program hasn't done you any favors. Don't forget that whatever you do next, you do have one Karma Pool point available for re-rolls, and in case it hasn't been stated before this is a practice run, so if something bad happens here, it won't affect your character permanently. However, if you do manage to get out without irreversible damage, you can take another option: this Matrix run is going to be the spark that sets off the real story behind your character and Project Shadow Watch.

----------------------------------------

PLAYER: Frustrated, Tex utters a string of obscinities only a true master of deckereese could comprehend. However, he sticks to the plan and attempts another graceful logoff.

Graceful Logoff TN 10

14, 4, 5, 7, 4, 3, 9, 5, 1, 10, 10

((You were right about using real dice. I had to dig them out, but they're still as lucky as ever! Oh, and having this set

off the storyline sounds pretty cool to me.))

--------------------------------------------

GM: Your three successes match the three that the Host scores against you, so your Graceful Logoff is successful. All traces of your digital larceny evaporate as the "real world" dissolves into your vision. You've got a bit of a headache, but no dumpshock, AND you've successfully completed the task. A call to your Johnson, and you just scored 1500, plus another 500 bonus for a job done clean and quick!

This is the end of this thread. I'm going to start the PSW thread separately. Consider this Matrix run a success, and a
real run. You score 3 Good Karma as well as the cash. This run is going to be important in the overall story, although it may not seem so at first.

Congratulations! You took on a host that was quite a handful for a beginning decker, and you really kept your cool and made some excellent decisions.
Kruger
What was the total elapsed time for this? Just curious.
Dragon835
All in all, with various delays, it took about a month. We each posted on average about once a week. We actually at one point had to start over at a particular point because I had forgotten something very important. Unfortunately, we didn't catch it until many things had transpired and the mistake was one that would have affected everything that happened after that point. We started a new thread, cut-n-pasted everything prior to that point, and started posting fresh from there.

Most of the delays... heck, almost all of the delays were on my part. The guy playing Jagawatz was quick to respond, and in my opinion was a very solid Decker player.

We're about to start into the actual story line... I've got another player waiting for us. It's up to me, now, just to actually get the ball rolling. I should probably be there posting instead of here, but I wanted to see if anyone had any comments.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012