Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers, Tacnets, and Programs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
SleepIncarnate
Ok, couple of odd questions, and I think I know the answers, but want to know for sure.

As we all know, non-TM's need an imagelink of some sort (or a neural jack/implant commlink, etc) to perceive AR information, and thus the info provided by a tacnet. TM's can see AR at will. But what about if a TM is using an actual tacsoft program and not a CF? Do they need some kind of image link device to see the tacnet data off their link? My guess is they can just slave the link to their biological pan and then view the tacnet info that way, but not sure.

For that matter, how does the interaction of a TM using programs on their link that they don't have CF's for work? For example, a TM is in full VR (via their own abilities) on a hack and wants to make moving about inside a hacked node easier, but she doesn't have a Reality Filter CF, but does have it on her commlink. Can she use it, or does she have to thread it since she went in via a method other than her link? On the flip side, say the TM goes in via the "old fashioned" route and uses her link, does she still have access to her CF's that she lacks program versions of on the link? For example, could she go in via the link, hack through with her Exploit CF, and then run her Reality Filter prog?
Karoline
Yes to the tacnet. They can stream the info from the commlink to their bionode, which allows them to see it on their natural image link.

As for the second part, no. A TM can't make use of a commlink like that. To use a program on the commlink, the commlink has to have its own icon there. So in order to get the advantage of reality filter, or use any other program, the commlink has to have its persona there. Similarly, for a TM to use a CF, they have to have their own living persona on the node.
SleepIncarnate
That's what I thought on both parts, but wanted to be sure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012