Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runner Essentials
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Aria
I've been creating a number of characters recently and I have to admit that gear usually comes a dim last in my thinking when it comes to a build. In particular commlinks as they are something fairly new to me (SR3 always used to buy a microtransciever for shadow work and a mobile for downtime and contacts).

What is a realistic commlink for an average runner (not a rigger or hacker)? Do you need firewall and encryption at 6 (or at least as high as possible) or will a 400BP hacker breeze through that if they want so just something to keep the noobs out is enough? Do you need to run an agent to keep that all important hub out of their grubby little digital mits?

Are there other pieces of essential kit that every runner should have? I remember a notable article by Blackjack that mentioned a packet of cigarettes as nobody suspects someone lurking if they have a fag in hand?!? Can't find the link any more but hopefully some of you remember the site?

Fake SIN 3 and a low lifestyle safe house? (Don't take your work home with you!!!)

Any thoughts or comments extremely welcome spin.gif

Thanks

A
SleepIncarnate
A handheld sensor with rating 6 radio signal scanner is required, so is a tag eraser. As for commlink, that depends on the game you're playing. For my non-tech characters, I tend to go with the middle ground link and OS, the Novatech Airware running Renraku Ichi (if memory serves correctly). A rating 6 medkit is also pretty essential, and I'd also recommend a rating 6 respirator, along with some kind of glasses or goggles. Respirator + glasses/goggles = easy way to obscure your face for runs, that also provide functional uses. I would recommend a rating 4 SIN since it's the best you can get at creation without qualities (or go all out for rating 6 if you want to take the restricted gear quality for it, there are worse reasons for that quality, but better ones as well). A low lifestyle safe house isn't bad, or hell, even a squatter one. Depends on what your main lifestyle is. I would use the more advanced lifestyle rules for that. You don't need too much in the way of entertainment or food at the safe house if you don't actually stay there unless necessary, so can put more into security and the like.

sabs
For non tech characters:

avalong (4/4) commlink
with Firewall/System of 4
R3 Agent if i'm tight on money (r4 if not)
All the common programs at 4
Attack, Armor, eccm at 4

1 of the 600 nuyen commlinks, with r2 system, firewall, browse, encrypt, editm - attached to one of the r2 sins.

contacts: image link, flare comp, smart link
glasses: lowlight, thermal, magnification, enhanced vision 3
subvocal mic

r4 SiN
2 R2 SiN

Form Fitting Body Armor
medkit 6

the /goal/ btw as I get paid is to upgrade to:

Commlink: Response 6, Signal 4, System 6, firewall 6, 2 Agent 6, All common at 6, (2 attack 6, 2 armor 6, 2 analyze 6) These 6 Ergonomic.
Tied to a R6 SiN with all the trimmings (this is my primary identity)

2 secondary commlinks at 3/3 with a rating 3 agent, and basic programs (this is my stroll around town commlink)
Tied to 2 different R4 SiNs. These are my stroll around town ids.
Both of which are supporting seperate low or medium lifestyles (depending on the cashflow)

Stingray
investing for bike/car is also good idea.
easily concealable handgun ( and spare)
Yama King
I disagree about a bike or car. Public trans and walking. Takes longer but keeps you in shape! smile.gif

You can always jack a car for a run as well.

Your own car can come after your first big payoff. Or several small ones.

Street Doc or Street Shaman w/ heal contact. As high a loyalty as you can afford.

Stingray
QUOTE (Yama King @ Oct 4 2010, 04:57 PM) *
I disagree about a bike or car. Public trans and walking. Takes longer but keeps you in shape! smile.gif

You can always jack a car for a run as well.

Your own car can come after your first big payoff. Or several small ones.

Street Doc or Street Shaman w/ heal contact. As high a loyalty as you can afford.

Carrying a several bags filled w/weapons,ammo,armor and restricted eq. in the KE obvserved
bus SOMEHOW get you in trouble, i just wonder why.. eek.gif
Yama King
Well played sir.. well played.

I normally play mages so I travel light. smile.gif

But you do have a point.
Machiavelli
All nice things, but i really never leave the house without this ones:

Body-odour-reducing cigarettes
Desinfection-spray
Duct-tape
Cable ties
Chewing gum
Dog-cookies
Lighter
KarmaInferno
A pink mohawk.

-k
Doc Chase
A towel.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Aria @ Oct 4 2010, 07:15 AM) *
I've been creating a number of characters recently and I have to admit that gear usually comes a dim last in my thinking when it comes to a build. In particular commlinks as they are something fairly new to me (SR3 always used to buy a microtransciever for shadow work and a mobile for downtime and contacts).

Starting with an aside: Back when I was running SR3 a number of years ago my team attempted to put together a high-quality set of communications gear for use in runs. Once they put together the custom micro-transceivers with good encryption it worked out to something like 35k nuyen each. This was 1999 and even then it was obvious that the rules and setting were getting pretty creaky with age when it came to projecting future comm gear. House rules can help, but I'm glad SR4 cleaned up a lot of those issues.

What is a realistic commlink for an average runner (not a rigger or hacker)? Do you need firewall and encryption at 6 (or at least as high as possible) or will a 400BP hacker breeze through that if they want so just something to keep the noobs out is enough? Do you need to run an agent to keep that all important hub out of their grubby little digital mits?

Non-hackers won't have this right out of chargen, but any group with a hacker should very quickly have hacker-level commlink stats through pirated software. Anyone in the team not running a 6 Firewall during a run is a liability. Also, some of the most portable and useful loot from defeated antagonists are their commlinks, so the team should have a good supply of spare commlinks after a few missions.

Are there other pieces of essential kit that every runner should have? I remember a notable article by Blackjack that mentioned a packet of cigarettes as nobody suspects someone lurking if they have a fag in hand?!? Can't find the link any more but hopefully some of you remember the site?

The pack of cigarettes is a nice touch, but personally I don't require that level of inventory detail from my players. If the character's Shadowing/Infiltration skill is up to the job then they thought of details like the cigarette smoking. I certainly don't discourage players from adding details like that on their own and I may give bonuses if appropriate, but I don't require it.

Fake SIN 3 and a low lifestyle safe house? (Don't take your work home with you!!!)

Must have at least one decent fake SIN to start with. Safe houses are essential but I wouldn't sweat it too much in chargen. Once play begins the hacker in the group can spoof Lifestyles to maintain a few safehouses for the team.

Other things, some already mentioned:
-Neuro-stun and CS grenades are super-effective against armored(but not chemsealed) opponents.
-Respirator or armor with chemseal (so you don't get NS and CS used on you)
-Set of fancy clothes for meets in high-class establishments.
-Low-light vision mod by any means necessary.
-Team needs at least two vehicles that can carry the whole group. One to fit in AAA-B security areas and one for C down to F in the Barrens. Failing that, a Contact that can get the group temporary access to vehicles on short notice is essential. Public transport is no good for getting into the worst areas of whichever plex you're in and its also no good for when a quick getaway becomes necessary.
-Flyspy or similar surveillance aerial microdrones are near essential for keeping "total situational awareness" on runs. Have the hacker tie those feeds into the rest of the teams' HUDs for bonus fun.
-Related to HUDs mentioned above, all the team members need to have an AR HUD and the ability to silently and hands-free manipulate that HUD. For magical types this probably means nanopaste trodes.
-LAES in some form so you don't have to kill everyone who can identify you in a line-up.

Lots more I'm probably forgetting. Hope this helps.
Doc Chase
A wad of cash and a good camera can take care of what Laes would.

You pay them off, and take their picture. They decide to rat on you...

...Well, usually implied violence is all you need.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Oct 4 2010, 11:10 AM) *
A wad of cash and a good camera can take care of what Laes would.

You pay them off, and take their picture. They decide to rat on you...

...Well, usually implied violence is all you need.

Absolutely, but LAES has added benefits. It will guarantee that even if the person you questioned is caught and tortured by your enemies they will be totally incapable of revealing anything about you, what you asked them or what they told you. All they will know is that they blacked out, which is suspicious but not terribly useful to the antagonists.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Oct 4 2010, 05:16 PM) *
Absolutely, but LAES has added benefits. It will guarantee that even if the person you questioned is caught and tortured by your enemies they will be totally incapable of revealing anything about you, what you asked them or what they told you. All they will know is that they blacked out, which is suspicious but not terribly useful to the antagonists.

o.O Just what are you breaking into that requires every person who may have laid eyes on you to involuntarily disavow any knowledge of your existance? nyahnyah.gif
SleepIncarnate
Duct tape, even in 2072 it's the miracle tool
Kliko
I use the rating 4 personal comm-unit in sr3 period. Good enough encryption for tactical security, some eccm and decent enough range at flux 2. Once you get your hands on BattleTactm you can even run your network through them. They clock in at nuyen.gif 12k (and that includes the street index 2). You can add signal boosters if you need the extra range...
KarmaInferno
Oh! Don't forget Dikote and an Ally Spirit!

-k
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Oct 4 2010, 11:20 AM) *
o.O Just what are you breaking into that requires every person who may have laid eyes on you to involuntarily disavow any knowledge of your existance? nyahnyah.gif

It's mostly because it just leaves fewer loose ends.

The team breaks into mid-level megacorp exec's home and questions him regarding a very sensitive topic.

Scenario A: The team disables security and breaks in wearing masks using voice distortion and questions the guy. They get what they want, threaten him with retribution should he mention the incident, tie him up with duct tape, and leave. Victim is eventually released by family/friend/housekeeper and probably calls the cops or his own corporate security. Based on what the team questioned him on he has a pretty good idea of what they're after and notifies corporate security of the potential problem. Even if he doesn't notify the "authorities" the team just made an enemy that might, just might, have the resources to track them down and cause them grief.

Scenario B: The team disables security and breaks in and questions the guy. They get want they want and dose him with Laésal wine. They leave the guy lying on the couch cradling an empty liquor bottle and skedaddle, covering their tracks. Guy wakes up a while later and doesn't remember anything from the last 12-Body hours. Even if he is suspicious what is he going to do?

At 500¥ per dose they're not using it all the time but it is extremely effective for certain situations. Of course, you could always just grease the guy but that has its own set of consequences.
Stingray
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Oct 4 2010, 08:05 PM) *
It's mostly because it just leaves fewer loose ends.

The team breaks into mid-level megacorp exec's home and questions him regarding a very sensitive topic.

Scenario A: The team disables security and breaks in wearing masks using voice distortion and questions the guy. They get what they want, threaten him with retribution should he mention the incident, tie him up with duct tape, and leave. Victim is eventually released by family/friend/housekeeper and probably calls the cops or his own corporate security. Based on what the team questioned him on he has a pretty good idea of what they're after and notifies corporate security of the potential problem. Even if he doesn't notify the "authorities" the team just made an enemy that might, just might, have the resources to track them down and cause them grief.

Scenario B: The team disables security and breaks in and questions the guy. They get want they want and dose him with Laésal wine. They leave the guy lying on the couch cradling an empty liquor bottle and skedaddle, covering their tracks. Guy wakes up a while later and doesn't remember anything from the last 12-Body hours. Even if he is suspicious what is he going to do?

At 500¥ per dose they're not using it all the time but it is extremely effective for certain situations. Of course, you could always just grease the guy but that has its own set of consequences.

everything is fine IF team's Hacker/Technomancer remember to clean recordings of the incident from wageslaves cybereye's/Cyberears ..
(They both have Recording unit)
Semerkhet
QUOTE (Stingray @ Oct 4 2010, 12:36 PM) *
everything is fine IF team's Hacker/Technomancer remember to clean recordings of the incident from wageslaves cybereye's/Cyberears ..
(They both have Recording unit)

Agreed. I was mentally including that under "covering their tracks." smile.gif
Marcus
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Oct 4 2010, 12:02 PM) *
A towel.

Full points for Style.

Fake SIN R4.
Med Kit R6
breather (or other air supply)
A backup life style of some kind. (I'm a fan of the storage unit and/or cheap motel room)
Something to do at ranged Combat, something to do in melee Combat.
A think a 3/3 is fine commlink wise if you don't intend to hack. You also don't need Sys 6, but I would alway get Firewall 6.
Data Search! Even if you only have a 3. You can still make the roll (Never a bad idea!)
Armor! I suggest FFBA, as a very good place to start Add Non-Conductive and your heading in the right direction.
A Helmet with tented or reflective visor (it covers your face, it adds armor, it can and should have all kinds of cool vision tech.)
A fixer contact, (yes the rules require you to have at least one contact, but i have seen so many jokers show up a tables with out even one)
And someone in the party needs a Van (red strip is sadly optional :_: )
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Marcus @ Oct 4 2010, 06:27 PM) *
Full points for Style.

Heh heh. Thank you. biggrin.gif

I like doing these for the runner on a budget.
Fake SIN R4.
Med Kit R6
breather (or other air supply)

One kit per person is overkill IMO unless you're running a DocWagon campaign (and those can be a pain in the ass). Have the rigger carry the kit in an emergency case on the support drone; then you have cover while you let it work!

Fake SINs are essential, unless you're staying in the Barrens. Totally agree. Also with the rebreather masks, they're cheap and useful.

A backup life style of some kind. (I'm a fan of the storage unit and/or cheap motel room)
Something to do at ranged Combat, something to do in melee Combat.
A think a 3/3 is fine commlink wise if you don't intend to hack. You also don't need Sys 6, but I would alway get Firewall 6.
Data Search! Even if you only have a 3. You can still make the roll (Never a bad idea!)

You can pick up a room at a coffin motel for cheap and use it to stash gear, just like the mausoleum in Terminator 3. biggrin.gif

Everyone should have a pistol and a knife or a shock baton as backup. Always have a surprise ready! A Colt to surprise anyone while you're dressed to the nines for socializing, and the shock glove or a sap (or find a chair leg) to give people a nasty surprise.

I still don't know what to think about non-hackers having their commlinks fully kitted out to hack. Huggles McTroll doesn't need an Attack program, or a Data Bomb, or a Sleaze - that's what the Hacker's for. Let him/her mod out the phones.

Armor! I suggest FFBA, as a very good place to start Add Non-Conductive and your heading in the right direction.
A Helmet with tented or reflective visor (it covers your face, it adds armor, it can and should have all kinds of cool vision tech.)
A fixer contact, (yes the rules require you to have at least one contact, but i have seen so many jokers show up a tables with out even one)
And someone in the party needs a Van (red strip is sadly optional :_: )

Form fitting suggests custom fitted, which costs ducats. I'm old-fashioned, I'll stick with a stylish Lined Coat or a lightweight Armor Vest to add to pectoral girth. Could always Eastwood it with some boiler plate in a pinch. Helmet's not as necessary as it makes you stand out like a thumb with mushrooms, if you need to break up the profile then your rebreather mask will do the job. A pair of glasses, your cybereyes, or goggles will handle any of the vision mods one typcially needs, and for cheaper.

Yes, everyone should have a fixer contact. Preferably the same one, for the team. If they don't take one at chargen, hope the contact they do have has a friend of a friend who needs someone for a job, and go from there. Personally, I prefer arms dealers so I can get bulk discounts on my munitions. Gotta save where I can.
Brainpiercing7.62mm
Yes, could someone please reiterate the actual USE of a tricked out commlink for a non-techie character? What I read in another thread revolved around using the agent to defend against any intruding hacker, but can't the team hacker just pirate a few of the softs, or send his duplicated agent to each of the team's commlinks?
Lansdren
Tricked out commlinks are the hight of meta gaming,

If your a runner you will take advice on stuff but most people will possibly just turn the damm thing off on a run rather then risk all the transmissions. If you have a hacker in the team and your back story is your all very tight and trust each other then sure saying I got the hacker to sort out my comms kit makes sense but thats not every runner in every game.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Lansdren @ Oct 5 2010, 12:12 PM) *
Tricked out commlinks are the hight of meta gaming

Agreed. I generally feel it's more accurate that a good running team is going to use 'burner' commlinks that they can easily dispose of. Cricket Prepaid Mobile, 2072!

If your a runner you will take advice on stuff but most people will possibly just turn the damm thing off on a run rather then risk all the transmissions. If you have a hacker in the team and your back story is your all very tight and trust each other then sure saying I got the hacker to sort out my comms kit makes sense but thats not every runner in every game.

This is a point of contention.

The commlink is the central node of which your peripherals link to each other and to other people. The center of your tacnet, how you are able to communicate with offsite assets, and how you can order a pizza to the security desk in order to get those fraggers to turn the other damn way for just a bloody second.

I will say that some would rather go in cold, and some will rely on their hacker to slap down the opfor trying to hack in - after all, it's what they're paid for!

If your team has a hacker, let them optimize the commlinks to make their job easier. They'll probably cap out Firewall, optimize Signal, load a few legit/pirated programs to make your job easier, and perhaps a Search Agent and Agents Alarm & Hammer to slow the opposition so they can pop in and lay the smack down proper. Everyone should have a shiny, expensive commlink so they look good to the Johnson, but be prepared to walk away from any of it at a moment's notice.
Marcus
QUOTE (Lansdren @ Oct 5 2010, 07:12 AM) *
Tricked out commlinks are the hight of meta gaming,

Can you be more specific with your definition of tricked out? The real beauty of 4th is we finally got computers to be helpful to a person without actually being a hacker. Now I agree that shouldn't be an excuse for players to agent up, and carry a mini-hacker in their pocket. But I don't see it as bad news to get your commlinks firewall maxed. Given that its often illegal to turn off your commlink in many places it best to have it as secure as possible.
KarmaInferno
Also depends on what kind of game your GM is running.

If the characters are supposed to be independent operators that happen to be together for a set of jobs, it makes sense for each to be self-sufficient, including tricked out hacking gear.

Shadowrun Missions tends to be like this, just by it's nature.

In a more street-level or "team" game, it makes less sense.

-k
sabs
Well everyone should have an agent on their commlink.
The agent should be running Analyze on your system.
It should do browsing, and basic photo editing and the like for you.

It should hopefully beat down on any wanna be hacker trying to own your shit.
Lansdren
QUOTE (Marcus @ Oct 5 2010, 02:37 PM) *
Can you be more specific with your definition of tricked out? The real beauty of 4th is we finally got computers to be helpful to a person without actually being a hacker. Now I agree that shouldn't be an excuse for players to agent up, and carry a mini-hacker in their pocket. But I don't see it as bad news to get your commlinks firewall maxed. Given that its often illegal to turn off your commlink in many places it best to have it as secure as possible.

Hardware / software stats of 5 - 6 to my mind would only be for people with money to burn or the knowlege to know they need it. In a world where rating 5 and 6 items are normally very high end mil spec only those in the know would have them. But this depends on your game and the character.

Tymire
Fyi, technically mil spec is > R6.

And passive mode ftw =P
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Tymire @ Oct 5 2010, 03:34 PM) *
Fyi, technically mil spec is > R6.

And passive mode ftw =P

Nnnnnot so much on the milspec. Milspec is generally right at 6 provided they're running SOTA gear, and I'm not terribly sure if governments would be running SOTA since it would require constant upgrades.

Anything above R6 is bleeding edge tech that's generally in the prototype phase, which is begging for an unpaid Distinctive Style quality. nyahnyah.gif
KarmaInferno
Yeah, you ask most soldiers to rate their gear on a scale of 1-6 on how "cutting edge" it is, and I'd hazard a guess that most of it doesn't come anywhere near a 6.

k
Doc Chase
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 5 2010, 03:47 PM) *
Yeah, you ask most soldiers to rate their gear on a scale of 1-6 on how "cutting edge" it is, and I'd hazard a guess that most of it doesn't come anywhere near a 6.

k

We're talking about a government that has used the same battle rifle since at least 2050. nyahnyah.gif
sabs
Shadowrunners are the cream of the crop of the criminal world.
They /should/ quickly learn that they need good computer assisted hardware.
Lansdren
Adding back to the general runners essentials I would say in my opinion

Commlink - in line with your characters technical ability or explainable tech support
Backup Commlink - For all the places you want to be using a fake identity (pretty much everywhere)
Ceramic knife - If you cant think why you need this your not a runner your already dead
Vehicle of some kind - Never trust someone who doesnt have wheels
Armour - something you can wear and not be encumbered by
Casual armour - maybe something lower rating but can be worn in more places
Variety of clothing to suit possible places - Depending on your game this could include the full Bond like dinner suit or maybe just clubwear
Stim patches - everyone knows enough about uppers to have one or two on standby
Medkit - This ones a tricky one as discription of the kit implies that the higher the rating the bigger it is which make sense so having a R6 kit would be basically a suitcase but your milage will vary depending on GM

All my characters also get a 'Oh SHIT' kit too

Back up commlink - clean
Back up Sin - clean
Back up lifestyle - Clean
Back up licences - Clean (gun, weapon that kind of stuff)
Back up Weapons and Armour - must match and suit the new Sin (my fav covers are peternatural pest control and high threat couriour

The kit is for when you just have to lay low for abit ditch and burn the other stuff then head off to the back up safehouse and open the clean items

Fun items I try to put in more often then not are

Mapsofts for everywhere - they cost sod all
Linguasofts - Again why not unless the character is a luddite and no trods or jack
Survival equipment - depends on the character but can always be handy as you can get easy access to rations and water purifiers which saves hassle if your roughing it
Rope - never ever go without rope
Backpack - in Arsenal never forget one can always be left in car or on bike but means you can take all the small bits you might want without it being silly. (a nice Ruth coating goes a long way with it too)
Lansdren
QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 5 2010, 03:55 PM) *
Shadowrunners are the cream of the crop of the criminal world.
They /should/ quickly learn that they need good computer assisted hardware.

Yes and No, Fluff dictates a more rounded technological knowledge which matches my experiance in roleplay. Not everyone is a combat monster and likewise not everyone is a tech head.

If you run a matrix heavy game and have matrix support then it makes sense the group having tricked out comms. But counter to that is if your running a street game without a dedicated hacker then why would you all spend huge amounts of money on a item that isnt needed?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Lansdren @ Oct 5 2010, 03:02 PM) *
If you run a matrix heavy game and have matrix support then it makes sense the group having tricked out comms. But counter to that is if your running a street game without a dedicated hacker then why would you all spend huge amounts of money on a item that isnt needed?

Indeed. Such groups would likely have 2-3 cheap ones that they'd pull out once one got shut off.

"Boss, my comm got shut off!"
"Plan B, everyone!" *new commlinks, out come the automatic weapons*
"Boss, dey shut dat one off too!"
"Plan C!" *new commlinks, out come the explosives*
"Boss!"
"Dammit! Level da buildin'!"
sabs
users with no computer skills should be using stock commlinks with stock OSes. But there's some nice ones available.

Being able to do a basic datasearch online is so important, that it's ludicrous that anyone above a barrens game would not have either a DS skill of 2, or much more likely, an Agent 3-4 who does it for them.
Ascalaphus
Everyone needs secure commlinks. It's basically your wallet and keys combined, and unless you've got it secured anyone can steal it. This should be as self-evident to a shadowrunner as the value of locking your front door.

It won't keep out elite ninja assassins, but it'll cut down on thefts of opportunity. It'll eliminate random hacking and spamming by scipt kiddies and give you a chance against a hacker, or at least it'll slow him down.

---

If you're in a steady team, then clearly the duty of the hacker should be to outfit the entire team with dedicated commlinks for missions; he's the expert, he should be in charge. You do your personal calls on a private commlink, but he's in charge of "work" commlinks. The hacker expects the Sam to protect the team in combat and the Mage to handle spirits, so everyone needs everyone. Almost a basis for trust.

If you're loners brought together for a job, it might be harder to obtain good security if you're not a hacker; take a Contact with the appropriate know-how?
Semerkhet
Totally tricked out custom commlinks with full hacking software and an agent? No. Two or three mid-range sanitized commlinks with Firewall 6? Absolutely. Like I said, commlinks are the perfect usable loot. The team hacker should have a whole box full of them before too long.

Good secure comms are essential. My players have hacked into other people's comms and drone feeds often enough to know that they are f*cked if it happens to them. Thus the hacker puts in the time to keep everyone's pirated Firewall 6 up to date every month.

The team hacker does a lot of things off-camera, so to speak, that are vital to the team. Spoofing lifestyles for safehouses, erasing datatrails, hacking Gridguide, erasing that rental car contract, and on and on.
Kruger
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Oct 5 2010, 05:07 AM) *
The commlink is the central node of which your peripherals link to each other and to other people. The center of your tacnet, how you are able to communicate with offsite assets,
Wires for your peripherals, and encrypted radio for your comms. Radio waves won't use the Matrix, and thus won't be hackable by just anyone roaming the Net. They'd need to be able to scan the thousands of available frequencies and then try to decrypt the signal once they found it. And if they did, the group can just switch freqs, and they'd have to start all over. They could try broad spectrum jamming, but that would interfere with all sorts of stuff.

20th century solutions to 21st century problems, lol.
sabs
You wouldn't get Tacnet over radio frequencies.
The signal is too weak, too slow, for the real-time datamodeling that a tacnet does.

And it's quite possible that radios don't even exist anymore.
Kruger
Considering how simple radios are, any character with Electronics B/R should be able to fabricate one. However, the micro-transceiver still exists in SR4.

And besides, not everything requires Tacnet. That's an acquired dependency, not a true need. Proper planning and training eliminates many of the problems Tacnet solves.
Stahlseele
Cue Matrix:
"Weapons. Many weapons!"
And the black mirrorshades and the long leather mantle.
Dumori
A good lawlyer/fixer if they are the same guy all the better.
Brainpiercing7.62mm
QUOTE (Semerkhet @ Oct 5 2010, 05:43 PM) *
Totally tricked out custom commlinks with full hacking software and an agent? No.

Well... the question is how hard these things are to do in game. Does it even take a roll to install a software on the commlink? To install an agent? To set up the agent to do his thing? If not, then it might just be as simple as reading the rule book, which means ANY shadowrunner worth his money should at least think about putting an agent there for defence.

The trouble I'm having is still putting the pieces together: NORMALLY the commlink is supposed to be where everything comes together. Smartlink, communication, controls on wireless gadgets, etc. So when you use a burner, you don't have all that set up. What do you do then?
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Lansdren @ Oct 5 2010, 03:58 PM) *
Stim patches - everyone knows enough about uppers to have one or two on standby

I also stock up on tranq-patches. Nothing like slapping a huge mofo with one and watching then drop.
Yerameyahu
The burner is more like 'just a phone', that's all.

The GM should simply run the game people want. If they want to actually use the Matrix, instead of skulking around in the wrong century, then the GM simply makes it so that they're *not* constantly attacked by super-hacker Technomancers and things. This is required for all the cool stuff: voice, video-call, trideo, AR-everything, VR, etc. This is also how it's 'supposed to be', whatever that's worth. smile.gif

If people are interested in a totally nonstandard (but gritty and interesting) game, let them (or force them to) use non-Matrix gear.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Brainpiercing7.62mm @ Oct 5 2010, 10:36 PM) *
Well... the question is how hard these things are to do in game. Does it even take a roll to install a software on the commlink? To install an agent? To set up the agent to do his thing? If not, then it might just be as simple as reading the rule book, which means ANY shadowrunner worth his money should at least think about putting an agent there for defence.

The trouble I'm having is still putting the pieces together: NORMALLY the commlink is supposed to be where everything comes together. Smartlink, communication, controls on wireless gadgets, etc. So when you use a burner, you don't have all that set up. What do you do then?

Would you drop the $1,500+, not including the price of the phone, to put all this on here?

I might have a buddy put an agent on there, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on something I'll have to replace soon!
Yerameyahu
There's no reason to really 'burn' a commlink anyway. Just change the Access ID, right? Disposable links are handy for bare-bones communication, but a good stock commlink with a good stock OS and good stock programs (including an agent) isn't crazy to have, within the setting. If your MSP contract is fancy, you get some free anyway. Regardless, it's as easy as buying iPhone apps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012