Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Free Spirits, formulas, and lifestyles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wanderer
As I was pondering the issues of free spirit PC for possible future use, I noticed a couple topics (apart from the whole debate about how to raise attributes and how many BP/karma to use during chargen) where I assume I have to disagree with the RAW.

1) Spell formulas: RC tells FSPC are unable to use spell formulas and have to assense the spell being cast once to learn it, while SM says that FSNPC do not have to use spell formulas, to the same effect, without saying whether they may or may not use them. After some reflection, I have come to the conclusion that free spirits are indeed unable to use some kinds of spell formulas, while they can freely use some others, and indeed may do so whenever finding a live caster of the spell is inconvenient. Free spirits cannot use digital copies of spell formulas, since they are unable to use or perceive information that is stored or displayed through AR or on a screen. They are, however, perfectly able to perceive and understand physical objects, and hence physical copies of spell formulas are accessible to them. Therefore, a FSPC can use spell formulas that exist in an hardcopy format, such as paintings, carvings, mosaics, written texts, and printed diagrams. They don't need them, if they have access to a live caster, but cases surely arise when getting the formula is more handy than finding a living Awakened that can cast the spell.

2) Lifestyles: RC advanced lifestyle rules (which I take as the default, since they allow to create multiple lifestyles, a necessity IMO for the serious runner) say that FSPC don't need to buy the Necessities category of lifestyles, if they don't plan to have metahuman guests on a regular basis, since they don't need any food. However, even if free spirits indeed don't need to eat and drink, the Necessities category also establishes how much room the character's dwelling offers. If a FS character goes to the hassle of maintaining a lifestyle at all, one of the most typical reasons is to have a secure storage place for their own gear, so availability of space is meaningful to them. Therefore, I rather assume that if they buy a lifestyle, they need to have some Necessities, too, but in almost all cases, unless they have metahuman regular guests or live-in partners, they buy a limited amount of Necessities, and make use of the Workspace quality to raise the space aspect of the lifestyle to the amount they find convenient (and may get a home with a Green Plan, since they have less need for power).

Moreover, the Entertainment category, too, should receive a similar limitation as Necessities, since by 2070, most of the personal entertainment is accessed through the Matrix, which free spirits cannot access. The equivalent of the Workspace quality should exist to allow buying a higher level of outdoors entertainment than the general category would otherwise provide. A similar reasoning could be done about Comforts and the AR decoration aspects of it. They have much less need for furniture than metahumans, so they can afford to buy low levels of Comforts, and they may or may not develop a materialistic taste for fine furniture.

If spirits care about having a lifestyle, they probably care about Security as much as any metahuman character. They may or may not care about having a good Neighborhood, and the related qualities. Any FSC that can afford it would probably seek to get an Aspected Domain compatible with their tradition (and if it has the appropriate skills, would be interested in Feng Shui too), may be interested in having a Well Made home (to better store their gear), does not care about Escape Tunnel/Hasty Exit and Matrix-related qualities either way, and avoids Astral Repellant like the plague.
Neraph
1) You are clearly going away from RAW at this point, and if you feel happy with that House Rule, then enjoy it. I see the logic behind it.

2a) What makes you think you can't have multiple lifestyles per Core?
2b) I like your logic, again, but I think it is unneccessary. In fact, I can't see a single thing in there that implies anything other than spring-boarding ideas.

So, would you like to plot a course for this thread's journey?
Wanderer
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 6 2010, 07:42 AM) *
1) You are clearly going away from RAW at this point, and if you feel happy with that House Rule, then enjoy it. I see the logic behind it.

Well, as it concerns RAW, I assume that the author of the relevant section of RC was neglectfully oblivious of the all-important difference between digital and hardcopy spell formulas. Spirits are utterly unable to perceive anything digital, but they have no difficulty with physical objects, and mastering non-digital skills, so their inability to use hardcopy formulas makes no sense.

2a) What makes you think you can't have multiple lifestyles per Core?

Admittedly, I tend to treat RC advanced lifestyle rules as the default. I make no difference between SR4e and the various core rulebooks, they are just different volumes of the same corebook as far I'm concerned.

So, would you like to plot a course for this thread's journey?

Mostly, I liked to get some feedback on my reasoning.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Wanderer @ Oct 6 2010, 02:24 PM) *
Well, as it concerns RAW, I assume that the author of the relevant section of RC was neglectfully oblivious of the all-important difference between digital and hardcopy spell formulas. Spirits are utterly unable to perceive anything digital, but they have no difficulty with physical objects, and mastering non-digital skills, so their inability to use hardcopy formulas makes no sense.

It's not about their inability to see digital copies. It's because spirits are inherently magical, and thus do not need and cannot interpret constructs designed for metahuman magic. You might as well be saying that it makes no sense for a dragon not to use spell formulae. Dragons have no use for spell formulae because they practice dragon magic, and its a similar case with spirits.
Wanderer
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Oct 6 2010, 03:57 PM) *
It's not about their inability to see digital copies. It's because spirits are inherently magical, and thus do not need and cannot interpret constructs designed for metahuman magic. You might as well be saying that it makes no sense for a dragon not to use spell formulae. Dragons have no use for spell formulae because they practice dragon magic, and its a similar case with spirits.

Untrue. Spirits have no problem adapting to metahuman culture well enough to master every skill from metahuman culture that is not based on digital technology or conjuring, yea even magical skills (see Enchanting). And spell formulas are already built in such a way that they can be translated in a different cultural background without too much fuss. The whole point of a free spirit's Earthly lifestyle is about their ongoing adaptation to metahuman culture. "Translation", so to speak, of magical lore and techniques between metahuman-based context and metaplanar-based context happens all the time, e.g. when a metahuman magician learns a metamagical technique from a free spirit. And if a dragon needs to learn a spell through a spell formula, he can surely come up with a translation in dragon magic, so to speak.
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Wanderer @ Oct 6 2010, 07:55 PM) *
Untrue. Spirits have no problem adapting to metahuman culture well enough to master every skill from metahuman culture that is not based on digital technology or conjuring, yea even magical skills (see Enchanting). And spell formulas are already built in such a way that they can be translated in a different cultural background without too much fuss. The whole point of a free spirit's Earthly lifestyle is about their ongoing adaptation to metahuman culture. "Translation", so to speak, of magical lore and techniques between metahuman-based context and metaplanar-based context happens all the time, e.g. when a metahuman magician learns a metamagical technique from a free spirit. And if a dragon needs to learn a spell through a spell formula, he can surely come up with a translation in dragon magic, so to speak.

It's not about culture either, though. Yes, they have little to no problem adapting to metahuman culture given enough time and exposure, but that doesn't have any relation to the use of magic. The translation of which you speak is that of a free spirit teaching a certain technique to a magician and the magician interpreting it through his own tradition's teachings, which are metahuman mental constructs designed to help metahumans understand and manipulate magic. These mental constructs are useless to a spirit, because the nature of its use of magic is so fundamentally different from a metahuman's.

Anyway, the point is moot regardless of how much philosophical discussion we go into. The text clearly states that spirits cannot use spell formulae.

Free spirits are creatures of mana, and this gives them a unique
take on the magical world. All free spirits have the Magician quality
at no cost. They may learn Sorcery skills, Assensing, Arcana,
and Enchanting. Free spirits may never learn or use any skills
from the Conjuring skill group (being spirits themselves, they can
never hold such sway over other spirits). Spirits may not bond foci.
When learning spells, the free spirit does not need (and cannot
use) a spell formula, but does need to assense the spell as it is cast
at least once.

So as Neraph pointed out, if you want to change this as a house rule, go ahead. But you are leaving the RAW on this matter.
Wanderer
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Oct 6 2010, 10:37 PM) *
It's not about culture either, though. Yes, they have little to no problem adapting to metahuman culture given enough time and exposure, but that doesn't have any relation to the use of magic.

Why ? They can learn and use Enchanting, which certainly is an aspect of magic that is wholly metahuman-oriented.

The translation of which you speak is that of a free spirit teaching a certain technique to a magician and the magician interpreting it through his own tradition's teachings, which are metahuman mental constructs designed to help metahumans understand and manipulate magic. These mental constructs are useless to a spirit, because the nature of its use of magic is so fundamentally different from a metahuman's.

And why the process you describe can't work the other way around, a free spirit interpreting mentahuman mental constructs through its own way of understanding and manipulate magic ? It seems that the various metahuman magical traditions help shape the nature of spirits by a rather high degree.

But you are leaving the RAW on this matter.

Never said I would not. I started the thread by saying "here is stuff where I have to disagree with the RAW".
Neraph
QUOTE (Wanderer @ Oct 6 2010, 06:07 PM) *
Why ? They can learn and use Enchanting, which certainly is an aspect of magic that is wholly metahuman-oriented.

What makes you think metahumanity didn't originally get Enchanting from spirits?

Using Enchanting to create Radical reagents and Orichalcum may, when given enough time, create Backround Count aspected towards Task (or similar) spirits.

Enchanting foci can actually feed a spirit; watch:
1) Free Spirit with Energy Drain (Force - Karma [1:1]) creates a Force 6 focus, spending 1 karma to complete it.
2) Free Spirit with Energy Drain eats Force 6 focus, gaining 6 karma. 5 karma net gain.

Enchanting can also be used by Materialization spirits to help their Possession spirit friends interact with the Physical.

Not to mention all the real-world Lore about spirits teaching ancient masters the new ways of magic/alchemy.
darthmord
Not to mention that all the fluff I've seen about physical representations of spell formulas has shown them to have an aura that can be seen with Astral Perception. I recall one such instance in SM where a Mage is trying to teach a Shaman a powerbolt spell. The Mage was noting that her squiggles and paint splashes were starting to pulse & take on the first signs of power.

On that note, isn't there a positive dice mod for being able to assess a formula?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012