Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kylar Ex Ganger Adept of the Invisible Way
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lansdren
With any luck in the next week or so my Ganger level game is going to be up and running so I'm putting up my current V2 of Kylar to see what people make of him.

General notes,

This is a 300bp Or 600 Karma game (note for the Karma side its higher cost for attributes but no cost for metatypes, the reason of this is that the attributes have been raised in the SR4A book but the metatypes thing has not been made official in the english prints)
Additional house rules to be taken into consideration is free levels in perception equal to Intuition.
One special house rule for the game has been no surge at character gen but you can take a latent surger (like latent awakening) to add something later on if it looks like fun and fits with the game.
And avaliability is down to 8 at gen

Other then that its pretty raw.

Kylar, Elf (600 Karma)

Ex Ganger with the Redmond Redbacks who wanted more then just the odd score of booze and a place to keep out of the acid rain. After pursading a ex runner to teach him how to fight and survive better then his gangmates he moves away from low level hooding and is ready to start making some real money.

Stats
Body 4 - 45Karma
Agility 5 - 60 Karma
Reaction 4 (5) - 45 Karma
Strength 3 - 25 Karma
Charisma 3 - 0 Karma
Intuition 3 - 25 Karma
logic 3 - 25 Karma
Willpower 3 - 25 Karma

Edge 2 - 10 Karma
Magic 4 - 45 Karma
Initiative / IPS 8 / 2

Karma Total Stats = 305

Qualities
Pos
Adept - 10 Karma
Bilingual - 10 Karma
Latent Surger - 10 Karma
Martial Artist (Ninjitsu) - Bonus to infiltration and manuvers of Off hand training and Finishing move - 18 Karma

Neg
Addiction (mild) to Betel - -10 Karma
Sensitive Ststem - - 30 Karma
Sinner (Horizen held sin from when he apperared as a contestent on a short lived combat reality show) - -10 Karma

Karma Total Qualities = -2

Active Skills
Blades 4 (6) Sword - 24 Karma
Unarmed 3 - 14 Karma
Pistols 3 (5) Heavy pistol - 16 Karma
Pilot Groundcraft 3 (5) Bike - 16 Karma
Gymnastics 4 (6) Parkour - 24 Karma
Hardware 1 (3) maglocks - 6 Karma
Survival 2 - 8 Karma
Data Search 2 - 8 Karma
Locksmith 1 - 4 Karma
Throwing weapons 3 (5) Knives - 16 Karma
First Aid 1 - 4 Karma
Stealth Group 4 - 55 Karma
influence Group 2 - 20 Karma
Perception 3 (free) - 0 Karma

Knowledge Skills
English / Sperethial (N) - 0 Karma
Gang Turf 2 - 4 Karma
Local Area Knowledge (Seattle) 2 - 4 Karma
Security Systems 4 - 11 Karma
Corp Security Units 1 - 2 Karma
Gang ID 2 - 4 Karma

Total Karma Skills - 240

Adept powers - No Karma Cost
Traceless Walk
Improved Sense (Thermo)
Improved Sense (Direction)
Improved Reflexes R1
Combat Sense R1
Improved ability Infiltration R2

Contacts
Amara Dupress Scrap Dealer / Fence C3 L3 - 12 Karma
Durzo Blint Sensi / Weapons Master C2 L5 - 14 Karma
Sid Naves Dealer of BTL's and Drugs C1 L1 - 4 Karma
Janos Ex Joyboy Host of the Maison D C1 L1 - 4 Karma

Karma Total Contacts - 34

Gear - 23 Karma
Broadsword with personlised grip (F1 weapon focus) - 3 Karma to bond
Ceramic knives x 2
Concelable holsters for above
Throwing knives x 20
Hardliner Gloves

Area Viper Slivergun with personlised grip, underbarrel weight, laser sight and flashlight mod
Concelable holster for above

Ammo x 1500
Spare Mags x 5
Smoke Grenades x5

Autopicker R3
Lockpick set (backup)
Flashlight
Respirator R4
Backpack
Camo netting (urban)
Sleeping Bag
Betel x 93
Rappeling Gloves
Rope 100 M
Rope 200 M
Endoscope
Glue Sprayer x 5
Wire Clopers
Light Stick x 10

Armour Clothing x1
urban Camo Suit with Chemical protection R4
Armour Jacket
FFBA half suit
Forearm Guards

Glasses R3 with Vision Mag and Flare comp
Earbuds R3 with audio enhancement and spatial recogniser
Trodes
Commlink Novatech Airware with iris Orb OS, Re3 Sig 3 F3 Sy3 cold sim module
Basic Software ( Analyse 2 Browse 2 Edit 2 Command 1)
Mapsoft R6 Seattle
Linguasofts
Cantonese R3
Russian R3
Backup commlink CMY clip with Vector Xim os

Hyundai Elvenstar bike with additional fuel tank mod
H 2 Accel 25/40 Sp 160 P2 B6 A+ S1

Shared Group Lifestyle
Comfots - Low
Entertainment - Low
Necessities - Middle
Neighbourhood - Squatter
Security - Low
Bonuses - Hasty Exit, Workplace

R2 fake sin x2 (working one and spare blank one)
R2 licences x 5

Plus a small bugout kit of
R2 Fake Sin
R2 Fake Licence x 2
Low Lifestyle 1 month
Back up Commlink - Sony Emperor with Renraku Ichi OS
Basic Software pack
Trodes
Backup Gun
Morrissey Elan
Concealable Holster
5 clips
30 Rounds Regular ammo

Edited for suggestions

Removed computer and intimidation skills (shouldnt be needed really)
Lowered the locksmith and pistol skils
Raised stealth group to 4 (key area)
Added speciliations to pistols and hardware (have the points for it)
Changed adept powers to include the increase to infiltration
Lowered weapon focus due to avaliability
fixed a few calculation errors and put down all the gear fully

Thanks for the input so far its really helping me question the concept and build something more in line with the idea without just cherry picking stuff
SleepIncarnate
I would drop the improved senses and get some Improved Infiltration if you really want him to be of the invisible way, as it stands, the only thing that really screams sneaky stealthy invisible about him is the very expensive but useful traceless walk. Also, is 3 the cap to skill groups in this game, or did you just pick not to raise the stealth group another point in favor of other stuff?
Makki
i like the improved senses very much!
SleepIncarnate
Normally, I would too, but the thermo can be bought fairly cheaply on glasses or contacts. Sure, the direction sense is nice, but is this character an adept on the Invisible Way, or on the Miner's Way? Likewise, having improved reflexes and combat sense seems to indicate this character leans more towards the Warrior's Way, and yeah I know you can mix, I've done it, but one stealth power does not an Invisible Way adept make. This character has more in purely offense related skills than he does towards stealth stuff. This isn't the guy who snuck around to avoid fights but learned a bit to defend himself for when he was found, this is the guy who got in lots of fights but learned to sneak around when others who could beat the hell out of him were around.
Lansdren
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Oct 7 2010, 12:38 PM) *
I would drop the improved senses and get some Improved Infiltration if you really want him to be of the invisible way, as it stands, the only thing that really screams sneaky stealthy invisible about him is the very expensive but useful traceless walk. Also, is 3 the cap to skill groups in this game, or did you just pick not to raise the stealth group another point in favor of other stuff?

I see what you mean on the idea not being there yet, that is partly by design. The plan is to grow the character into their abilitys, this really is a starting group of runners little more then gangers even though they have left the protection of their gang. I'm really hoping this to come out as a role play rather then roll play, as the last game I was in was stifled abit by everyone already capping their abilitys at generation and not having much scope for growth.

Edit, Removed my previous plan as its now redundent

Granted thats just abit of karma (about three runs or nine sessions roughly) I would be looking at a second initiation at some point with either a extra point in reflexs or take nerve strike (with the ability to use finishing move to hit them a second time in a turn the chances of incapacitating someone goes up quite quickly).

The way I'm seeing this build is the first part of the book the story is to come and who he is at the start isnt quite who he will be at the end.
Makki
i'd allow Improved Sense (Thermal Sense) to work like thermosense organ in Aug. p70
just because it's so unique for an adept to take

I'm pretty sure Lockpicking won't come up very often. maybe in the deep barens but everywhere else there are Maglocks starting R1
Lansdren
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Oct 7 2010, 01:14 PM) *
Normally, I would too, but the thermo can be bought fairly cheaply on glasses or contacts. Sure, the direction sense is nice, but is this character an adept on the Invisible Way, or on the Miner's Way? Likewise, having improved reflexes and combat sense seems to indicate this character leans more towards the Warrior's Way, and yeah I know you can mix, I've done it, but one stealth power does not an Invisible Way adept make. This character has more in purely offense related skills than he does towards stealth stuff. This isn't the guy who snuck around to avoid fights but learned a bit to defend himself for when he was found, this is the guy who got in lots of fights but learned to sneak around when others who could beat the hell out of him were around.

Maybe I was a tad early determining his way, I can see him growing into it over the first couple of runs.

As for the combat side I see it mostly from the perspective of it having been learnt before he awakened and started learning his tradecraft as it were. Think of him as a wannabe wetboy on his way to it but not there yet.

Lansdren
QUOTE (Makki @ Oct 7 2010, 01:31 PM) *
i'd allow Improved Sense (Thermal Sense) to work like thermosense organ in Aug. p70
just because it's so unique for an adept to take

I'm pretty sure Lockpicking won't come up very often. maybe in the deep barens but everywhere else there are Maglocks starting R1

I see where your coming from, my expectation of the first few runs will be in the barrens or close so knowing the basics would be handy. Later on the skill might be redundent but it kinda fits for the low level we will be starting.

I'm almost inclined to drop pistols to 3 locksmith to 1 and drop computer all together at this point and raise the stealth group to 4 as it fits better
SleepIncarnate
Well, it goes back to what his background is. Like I mentioned above, is this the guy who snuck about and broke into people's houses, or the guy who got into fights as a distraction so the sneaky guy could break in, and later decided he wanted to be the sneaky guy? When presented with a threat, how does Kylar deal with it: sneak around it, smash it's face in, talk it down, etc.
Lansdren
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Oct 7 2010, 01:47 PM) *
Well, it goes back to what his background is. Like I mentioned above, is this the guy who snuck about and broke into people's houses, or the guy who got into fights as a distraction so the sneaky guy could break in, and later decided he wanted to be the sneaky guy? When presented with a threat, how does Kylar deal with it: sneak around it, smash it's face in, talk it down, etc.

Good questions

I'm liking this its making me question the plan and tweek it.

In the past he would lash out hence the unarmed, now he would sneak off if not spotted aiming to be quiet, discreet and unnoticed but then diving in when he is ready (again think starting wetboy).

I think I have some ammendments to make.
Lansdren
Couple of changes made to bring him more in line.

I'm starting to think what nice things I'd like to do with him over time and I'm not running out yet which must be a good sign
sabs
Why does a street level ganger have a Hermes Icon Commlink?

I would expect him to have Emperor, Sensei, or Airwave at most.

maybe with the renkaru Ichi OS.

Not a SotA Commlink running the best Operating System money can buy.
Lansdren
QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 7 2010, 02:48 PM) *

You know what thats a very fair comment, and I had thought I was being conservative with gear.

Have to think about that
Doc Chase
QUOTE (sabs @ Oct 7 2010, 02:48 PM) *

Five finger discount. Maybe he takes a 5-point Enemy to explain why he's got an executive's Icon, and cost him a promotion at work because of the presentations stored on it. biggrin.gif
sabs
That does in fact explain how/why he has it.

Although.. does he have a hacker contact to crack the system, firewall, etc, to remove the auto-respond beacon?
Makki
you dont need a contact for everything. you can just have paid said hacker once and never gonna see him again
SleepIncarnate
Forget the commlink, where'd this guy get a force 2 weapon focus? Forget the fact that it's a higher availability rating than they're restricted to, how the heck does a street thug get a force 2 toothpick, let alone a broadsword?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Oct 7 2010, 04:32 PM) *
Forget the commlink, where'd this guy get a force 2 weapon focus? Forget the fact that it's a higher availability rating than they're restricted to, how the heck does a street thug get a force 2 toothpick, let alone a broadsword?

Five finger discount, maybe he takes... biggrin.gif
SleepIncarnate
Damnit Doc, do you ever pay for anything?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Oct 7 2010, 05:10 PM) *
Damnit Doc, do you ever pay for anything?

If I were running this guy? Hell no. biggrin.gif
SleepIncarnate
What's next, five finger discount cyberware?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Oct 7 2010, 05:34 PM) *
What's next, five finger discount cyberware?

Whaaat? It fell off the back of a truck.

I do like the thought of a 5(now 10) point Enemy flaw.

A swordsmith with some magical promise has just finished the work that will give him a place in the company he's been trying to get into for years. He's sent the pictures. Apparisers came and vetted his work. His promotion is all-but guaranteed; now it's just the ceremony to formally hand his work over to the head of the department, the blacksuits will clap politely, and cocktails will be served on the veranda at eight.

He sets the alarm on his commlink, leaving his brand-new, shining Hermes Ikon that some friends he's got in IT (that got him this job, whoever thought his Shadowrun MMO team would hook him up like this?!) sent over on the departmental budget in its packaging. It's loaded with all the cool toys, even HR's taken interest in their team online and sees some sponsorship possibilities. He leaves it on the dresser on the workbench next to the sword, and gets a call from his pals. There's a 25-man 'Desert Wars' raid on SRMMO now, and Jaguar is howling for him to get online!

He settles into his bed to rest and play...and Kylar sneaks in, having infiltrated the site on a dare from some of his drunk buddies back at the Roadside Bar. He cracks the window, looks inside - and holy crap, a broadsword next to a sweet new commlink? Jackpot! Building cams catch his form pre-and-post entry, but his face is obscured. The swordsmith is livid, the promotion withdrawn as his goods have been stolen, and now he has to start over.

But he won't forget. Oh no. He'll find the guy that did this.
Lansdren
QUOTE (SleepIncarnate @ Oct 7 2010, 04:32 PM) *

Now that is a oversight on my part, I had i written down as avaliability as force times 4 and 10000 per force which is the one for a binding focus one line above with the same money cost, easily done

As for where he got it that would have been from the person training him with a loyalty of five
ProfGast
Is the focus called "Retribution"? sleepy.gif Or maybe bla--- er I shouldn't put that up 'cause spoilers. ANYHOW...
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or so they say but you may want to at least mask exactly where your character's inspiration is from a bit better? At least choose a less obvious name for the sensei. Maybe Master Tulii?

Sorry if I'm coming across too strong or hostile, I just have bad experience from gaming with someone who named their character "Kasumi" and decked them out in a white ninja-type outfit and clearly didn't have any plans to deviate away from the cloth that they got the idea from.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (ProfGast @ Oct 7 2010, 07:15 PM) *
Is the focus called "Retribution"? sleepy.gif Or maybe bla--- er I shouldn't put that up 'cause spoilers. ANYHOW...
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or so they say but you may want to at least mask exactly where your character's inspiration is from a bit better? At least choose a less obvious name for the sensei. Maybe Master Tulii?

Sorry if I'm coming across too strong or hostile, I just have bad experience from gaming with someone who named their character "Kasumi" and decked them out in a white ninja-type outfit and clearly didn't have any plans to deviate away from the cloth that they got the idea from.

I think it would've been higher than a +2 if that was the case, and Tulii didn't seem like a Loyalty 5 to me. nyahnyah.gif

I knew Kylar sounded familiar.
Lansdren
Think more inspired by,

was planning a infiltrator adept and it seemed like a nice idea. I of course am skipping alot of it but some of the flavour will be added as it fits in nicely with the game we will be running. At best its Azoth part way through his training and not bonded but you know its going to be fun to run a him through the seattle shadows

But yes I'm crap at naming people so I do steal alot (in this case abit more then name granted)
tagz
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught the reference.

May want to pick up the Dependent 5BP Negative quality: Young Girl With Scared Face. Send money to get her out of the barrens into a private boarding school and sponsor family, and feel obligated to check up on her without letting her know you're there. n_n
Lansdren
QUOTE (tagz @ Oct 7 2010, 09:59 PM) *
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught the reference.

May want to pick up the Dependent 5BP Negative quality: Young Girl With Scared Face. Send money to get her out of the barrens into a private boarding school and sponsor family, and feel obligated to check up on her without letting her know you're there. n_n

lol, might be getting to far into copying rather then homage I've crossed the line already but I'd like to keep it within sight
Neurosis
That's pretty damn good for 300 BP.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you went with Karma-Gen?
Lansdren
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Oct 7 2010, 10:48 PM) *
That's pretty damn good for 300 BP.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you went with Karma-Gen?

Yea was karmagened with two tweeks, As the SR4A has changed the cost for attrubutes thats been included but the cost for metatypes hasnt been as at least in the english prints its not been made official yet.

I do have a couple of minor tweeks to it to do particually the weapon focus. I misread which line I was looking at and used the aviability for a binding focus in my calculations so technically by the limits set for our game he cant have it. Give thats the case I think I will drop it for now and have it as a early aim for him to accquire one. This does mean I have a few points to spare to throw into maybe a skill raise and maybe another contact.
Lansdren
Edited for changes suggested and errors fixed.

Thanks again everyone
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012