Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: God Damn Cyborg Rat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Neurosis
God Damn Cyborg Rat.

Unlike some brain-machine interface, or BMI, devices that rely on noninvasive EEG to detect neural activity, the RatCar works through direct contact with the brain. Other researchers have used this technique in getting rats to control robotic grippers and monkeys to control computer cursors and even advanced robot arms.

Essentially, we are talking about proto-DNI here.
TheMidnightHobo
Haha, initially I thought you were talking about this.

This is really cool, but wasn't there an article a couple weeks ago about jarhead rats as well? Screw post-human, post-rat is the way to go. cyber.gif

Though it does seem like we're equipping them with pretty much everything they need for the revolution...
Rayzorblades
QUOTE (TheMidnightHobo @ Oct 7 2010, 02:54 PM) *

This is really cool, but wasn't there an article a couple weeks ago about jarhead rats as well? Screw post-human, post-rat is the way to go. cyber.gif

Though it does seem like we're equipping them with pretty much everything they need for the revolution...

That mouse looks like the new movie Batmobile.

As for the rodent revolution, don't forget all the gene tweaks in addition to the cyber. Ethics really holds back the transhuman revolution.
crash2029
Ex posteris, Rodentia!
Karoline
QUOTE (TheMidnightHobo @ Oct 7 2010, 05:54 PM) *

And here I thought he was talking about this.
Squinky
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 17 2010, 07:26 PM) *

Me too.
Marcus
That is freaking looking. Cyber Zombie Rat....
Summerstorm
Hm... is it REALLY utterly controled by a brain in a jar? No tricks/editing out that he says: "and it WILL be controlled..." etc.? Working cyborg, here and now? How does the brain not die? How long does it last?

Hm... interesting indeed.
Karoline
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Oct 17 2010, 07:02 PM) *
Hm... is it REALLY utterly controled by a brain in a jar? No tricks/editing out that he says: "and it WILL be controlled..." etc.? Working cyborg, here and now? How does the brain not die? How long does it last?

Hm... interesting indeed.

Yes, it literally has no motherboard, just some rat brain cells. Not sure what the life support process is, but it only lives for 3 months, so that robot has actually been controlled by several different rat brains over the years that it has existed.
Blade
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 18 2010, 01:26 AM) *

I was thinking of this
Saint Sithney
But not so much this.
TheMidnightHobo
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 17 2010, 07:26 PM) *

Yeah, the jarhead rats!

Honestly I thought this was pretty rad. I mean, 3 months is admittedly terrible for an expected lifespan, but as far as I know these guys are the first people to do this kind of thing. Tech still in infancy, will get better, etc.

SR IRL is just around the corner...
Rayzorblades
I remember reading awhile back where they used similar tech wirelessly to control a painting "robot" of sorts, so that the rat brain cells could paint. The paint-bot was in Oz and the rat brain was in the US.

I'm just waiting for a time when a tiny bit of the rat's mental processes will get taken up by a piece of tech in its network, slightly amplifying its brainpower, and then it'll grow exponentially to every processor in the wireless web and we'll have an organism that surpasses human intelligence in every way and is completely contained in the cloud with a bit of its "mind" or "code" in every computer type system on Earth, and then it won't need its biological brain cells anymore. A god created by our own hands! *Maniacal laughter*

Ahem.
Karoline
QUOTE (Rayzorblades @ Oct 18 2010, 08:19 AM) *
I remember reading awhile back where they used similar tech wirelessly to control a painting "robot" of sorts, so that the rat brain cells could paint. The paint-bot was in Oz and the rat brain was in the US.

I'm just waiting for a time when a tiny bit of the rat's mental processes will get taken up by a piece of tech in its network, slightly amplifying its brainpower, and then it'll grow exponentially to every processor in the wireless web and we'll have an organism that surpasses human intelligence in every way and is completely contained in the cloud with a bit of its "mind" or "code" in every computer type system on Earth, and then it won't need its biological brain cells anymore. A god created by our own hands! *Maniacal laughter*

Ahem.

And this new god's one commandment? "BRING ME CHEESE!"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012