Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Designer "cyberleg"
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hobgoblin
http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/10/06/one-fabulous-foot/

Quite clever if i may say so.
Neraph
Quite cool. It's like people are turning into artistic silhouettes.
Rayzorblades
I really liked that. It reminds me of this thing I saw on Discovery a couple years ago about how prosthetics modding was becoming its own sub-culture. I'm actually surprised it didn't happen sooner.
Nifft
QUOTE (Rayzorblades @ Oct 17 2010, 03:51 PM) *
I really liked that. It reminds me of this thing I saw on Discovery a couple years ago about how prosthetics modding was becoming its own sub-culture. I'm actually surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Without some source of young limbless people, the prosthetic community naturally dwindles.

It's the very sad consequence of war that gives us a "user base" large enough to culturally cohere -- and large enough to reward medical innovation.
Karoline
So, what you're saying is that the War on Terror (or whatever it has been renamed to) is setting us up for an SR future due to an increased incentive for cyberlimb research?
Whipstitch
I wish they had never started calling it that 'cuz I keep thinking of how well the War on Drugs has gone and then I internally giggle a li'l before remembering how much money it costs.
Nifft
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 17 2010, 07:28 PM) *
So, what you're saying is that the War on Terror (or whatever it has been renamed to) is setting us up for an SR future due to an increased incentive for cyberlimb research?

War in general, yes.

WW1 taught us -- via shrapnel and head trauma -- that classical languages (read & written but not spoken) occupy a different part of the brain than spoken languages.
Karoline
QUOTE (Nifft @ Oct 17 2010, 06:55 PM) *
War in general, yes.

WW1 taught us -- via shrapnel and head trauma -- that classical languages (read & written but not spoken) occupy a different part of the brain than spoken languages.

Well, yeah, war is generally (oddly) good for scientific advancement, but I meant specifically for the SR future in this case.

Edit: Still waiting on 2012 for magic.
Neraph
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 17 2010, 06:28 PM) *

Oversea Contigency Operations, in response to Man-Made Disasters. The current administration shies away from anything sounding like the word "war."
Karoline
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 17 2010, 10:53 PM) *
Oversea Contigency Operations, in response to Man-Made Disasters. The current administration shies away from anything sounding like the word "war."

Is that what its called now? Wasn't sure, just heard that Obama had changed its name. Also changed the name of the War on Drugs too I think. Hehe, in response to man-made disasters. Politics is so interesting, its just a shame that it actually has an effect on stuff, as opposed to being observed under more isolated conditions.
Neraph
He stopped referring to the War on Drugs alltogether unless I've missed something.

Do you know what politics means? Poly means many and a tick is a blood-sucking parasite. We need statesmen, not politicians.

And, to stay on topic-ish, I still think the cyberleg looks totally cool.
Karoline
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 17 2010, 11:03 PM) *
Do you know what politics means? Poly means many and a tick is a blood-sucking parasite. We need statesmen, not politicians.

Yeah, that was in my sig until about a week ago when it got replaced by my context is important link nyahnyah.gif

The thing I'm not quite sure about with the legs is if they're trying to make them look like real legs, or trying to be distinctly not real legs, because some of the pics they look closer to real (generally when partially covered) and others they seem to be distinctly not real.
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 17 2010, 10:59 PM) *
Politics is so interesting, its just a shame that it actually has an effect on stuff, as opposed to being observed under more isolated conditions.

It's all fun and games until you remember it's not a Discworld novel.
Neraph
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 17 2010, 11:06 PM) *
The thing I'm not quite sure about with the legs is if they're trying to make them look like real legs, or trying to be distinctly not real legs, because some of the pics they look closer to real (generally when partially covered) and others they seem to be distinctly not real.

I think that's kinda how they meant it to be - you can have it obviously look not like a real leg, but still artistically awsome, or you can cover it up and no-one would ever think twice.
Karoline
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Oct 17 2010, 11:06 PM) *
It's all fun and games until you remember it's not a Discworld novel.

Yeah, something like that. Politics would be fun if it wasn't so depressing by being real.

As a side note, I know a political commentary movie is coming out soon or just came out. Anyone know if it is good (funny)? I don't really care about accuracy or political biased, I just think it looked funny.
Neraph
From what I hear it's awsome. I heard a radio show with the guy who produced it.. I'll go see if I can track it down for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012