Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dawn of the Artifacts: Darkest Hour
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Semerkhet
I've read through it a few times and my group is about a third of the way into it. Maybe I'll write up a full review when we're done but for now I'd rather post complaints.

Wow. I guess I should have seen it coming with CGLs current 'difficulties' but the hand-off to a new author in this series was clumsier than I feared. The adventure (which I have only in pdf format) is full of typos and continuity errors. Most are pretty minor and you can figure out what was meant by context but a couple are pretty glaring and leave the reader wondering what the hell is supposed to be going on. I'm not trying to lay blame entirely on the new author. It can't have been easy to take over a project like this mid-stream and who knows what kind of time pressure he and his team were working under. Still, there are eight people credited specifically as proofreaders, so I have to say, "What the hell?" I frankly find it hard to believe that these errors weren't caught by that many proofreaders and an editor. One explanation that comes to mind is that the version the proofreaders were given was so riddled with errors that they cleaned it up the best they could given the amount of time they were given.

Anyway, the product is usable but color me unimpressed on quality. If the errors that plague this product and 6th World Almanac continue in the next couple of releases I will reconsider my continued financial support of the current publishers.
Semerkhet
/bump

Anyone else have thoughts or comments on this product? Last night I ran another sub-section of this for my group. One thing about these stories is that they take us a number of sessions to complete since we can only usually play for five hours at a time.

If anyone wants to compare notes on running this thing we can paste a "Here There Be Spoilers" sign and have at it.
Prime Mover
I was holding off running this till we had all four DotA and its follow up. Which we now know was to be two books and an ebook according to AH's post. Now whats the plan? So far I've read through the first three and have some notes but with no real conclusion forthcoming I may just set it aside for now.
pbangarth
Yeah, I was thinking of waiting for the whole set before I ran it, too. Get the big picture, and have the ability to foreshadow events or change the plotline a bit without screwing up later sections.
Semerkhet
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Oct 17 2010, 08:47 AM) *
Yeah, I was thinking of waiting for the whole set before I ran it, too. Get the big picture, and have the ability to foreshadow events or change the plotline a bit without screwing up later sections.

A very valid point but not one you should let stop you. In fact there have already been a couple cases already where something I changed in the first installment was contradicted by something in the second. The contradictions were nothing I couldn't extemporize my way out of. As written, the adventures are supposed to take place with very little break between them but I've done fine by interspersing them among shadowruns of my own creation. Now I really would like to be able to know for sure where the big picture main plot is going, but I've found that events of the first three are themselves a sort of foreshadowing. Even though I don't know precisely what the purpose of the gathered artifacts will be I can still drop vague hints that keep the players tantalized.

Overall, my group has quite enjoyed this series to date. I've had my issues with it as a GM but I've been able to modify and rewrite the bits that don't suit me while leaving the overall structure intact.

[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012