Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Artificial Hippocampus
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Neurosis
Apologies if this has been posted before.

http://www.hplusmagazine.com/articles/neur...ial-hippocampus
Mongoose
That's not headware memory; headware memory (as describe pre-SR4) just stores digital data. And artificial hippocampus would be full-on simsense / skillwire tech, since it would actually be capable of recording the processes that go on within the brain itself, and controlling the formation of memories that result from those processes (or artificial inputs matching them).
CanRay
I don't know about you guys, but I'm happy I've forgotten most of Grade and High School.

Of course, if this were to give me happier memories... And, you know, actual useful knowledge from it...

I learned more from Science-Fiction and RPG Books than I did from Text Books.
Mongoose
Yeah, or they could just implant an Arty-Hippo in a clone body, and burn all your (edited) memories into that body. How would you like THAT? And which "you" would like it more?
Rayzorblades
After a checkup, a guy's doctor comes in to tell him "Well I've got bad news, and worse news. The bad news is you have cancer, the worse news is you have Alzheimer's." The guy replies "Well, at least I don't have cancer".

This could make that joke a thing of the past.
Method
I think the implant you are thinking of is the mnemonic enhancer. wink.gif
KarmaInferno
"I know kung-fu!"

-k
Rayzorblades
AH HAHA! My buddy said that EXACT THING when I just showed him this.
Rayzorblades
I just got to thinking regarding "I know Kung Fu...". I don't think this would work with that (at least not completely) since physical/motor skills are stored separately from long term memories aren't they? Like a learned reflex reaction isn't stored in the same place your home address or phone number is.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Rayzorblades @ Oct 19 2010, 07:54 PM) *
I just got to thinking regarding "I know Kung Fu...". I don't think this would work with that (at least not completely) since physical/motor skills are stored separately from long term memories aren't they? Like a learned reflex reaction isn't stored in the same place your home address or phone number is.

Perhaps, but it could very well ensure that traditional edyoukayshuns are better received in the noggins of our future.
naga-nuyen
Damn this thing, selective listening is a thing of the past!
Rayzorblades
QUOTE (naga-nuyen @ Oct 19 2010, 01:08 PM) *
Damn this thing, selective listening is a thing of the past!

I would like an omelette thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012