Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nexus Spell Effect
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
New Spell Effect
Spells have the following: Touch, Range, Area

I’ve been thinking of introducing Nexus (as Area effect modification)

Nexus is an area effect spell extending outwards from the casters body but not harming the caster. It is basically a self centered blast (magic rating area effect)

Although the magician is not harmed by the [i]initial[/u] blast certain elemental effects and enviroments will still affect him. Using a self centered lightning bolt nexus underwater WILL harm the magician as the water will make him a recipient of the electricity. A fire version will put him in the center of a blazing inferno.

Some elemental effects are fairly safe like Sound and Blast – although can be dangerous depending on where they are used.
Stahlseele
Sounds like a different elemental aura spell . .
Prime Mover
Reminds me of shaped spells from Kage. Straight line or donut shaped with hole centered around the caster.
Machiavelli
It is nothing else. I think the only difference is an instant duration. Created a similar spell as a "last defensive"-solution a while ago but the situation where you need such a spell are so rare (none of you friends should stand around) that it isn´t worth the karma to learn it.
The Jopp
I can see several uses, especially for a melee oriented Norse God Shaman.

The magician strikes his Mjolnir Fetish hammer on the ground while kneeling amongst the melee and a concussive blast makes his opponents fly in all directions to the sound of thunder.
Maelstrome
the nexus area of effect was on the old dumpshock archives. i made use of it a few times myself. it just takes a bit more creativity to work it.
Mongoose
Nexus is a wonky name for it, but I don't see any trouble otherwise. Range: Self (Area Effect) makes more sense, though the drain mod should (IMO) be a bit higher than you'd otherwise get with that combo.

Worth noting is that if it is a direct damage spell (analogous to power bolt, mana bolt, or stun bolt) it would still only affect targets the mage can see, so you wouldn't actually get a ball around the mage; you'd get a cone originating from his eyes.
Neraph
Because SR mages aren't like this enough already. Or this.
Shinobi Killfist
I've always been a bit surprised that SR in 4 editions has not added in cones, lines, PBAoEs, maybe multi-target spells, heck given the time frame maybe spells with autofire capability etc. to the game.
Neraph
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Oct 18 2010, 06:04 PM) *
PBAoEs

Peanut Butter Area of Effect spells?

Cones and lines would be nice, but "autofire" is simply "multicasting." If you build a character for it you can do it fairly well.
Neurosis
So in other words, PBAE?

I could get behind that. It seems like it would have less drain than ordinary area spells since you'd have to take the extra time to not be standing next to your allies. It would be good when combined with touch range spells/melee-oriented mystic adepts.
Yerameyahu
Cones and lines would not be nice. nyahnyah.gif I like the 'mystical connection' system of spellcasting, along with the 'no teleporting/etc.' and 'no crossing the astral divide' rules.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Neraph @ Oct 18 2010, 08:12 PM) *
Peanut Butter Area of Effect spells?

Cones and lines would be nice, but "autofire" is simply "multicasting." If you build a character for it you can do it fairly well.

In case you are actually unaware of the acronym Point Blank Area of Effect.

No auto fire is different.(suppressive fire, long bursts, multiple bursts all rolled into one mechanic) Besides multicasintg is just moronic. Something is so difficult to do it requires a complex action, but I can do 5 different ones of them at once if I want to?
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 18 2010, 10:33 PM) *
Cones and lines would not be nice. nyahnyah.gif I like the 'mystical connection' system of spellcasting, along with the 'no teleporting/etc.' and 'no crossing the astral divide' rules.

How is a cone any different 'mystical connection' wise than a sphere?
Aerospider
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Oct 19 2010, 04:28 AM) *
In case you are actually unaware of the acronym Point Blank Area of Effect.

No auto fire is different.(suppressive fire, long bursts, multiple bursts all rolled into one mechanic) Besides multicasintg is just moronic. Something is so difficult to do it requires a complex action, but I can do 5 different ones of them at once if I want to?

Do you also have a problem with firing two guns at once ...?
Yerameyahu
Do you have two brains to cast spells? smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 19 2010, 12:04 PM) *

Sure. Once I even had five.
(If you haven't read the book, you won't get the joke. In which case, go read the book, because it's fucking awesome. It's like Harry Potter, only sans everything that made Harry's life worth living--its not every day that a kid at the ripe age of 8 sees his family murdered by a superstition and ends up living on the streets of a giant city for three years before getting it into his head that he'll get into the mage academy that's never accepted a student under the age of 17 nor for free. Oh, and pisses off his first teacher so bad in two days as to have to defend his actions or be expelled.)
Aerospider
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 19 2010, 05:04 PM) *

So you don't use your brain when firing guns? Hmm, certainly true of some runners I've met spin.gif
Dakka Dakka
Sorry that I don't contribute anything more meaningful, but the Name of the Wind indeed was awesome. Can't wait till days two and three.

Maybe something: since caster centered donuts are quite something different from traditional area spells, I'd make this feature a metamagic technique, similar to the Power Great Form spirits get.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Oct 20 2010, 11:23 AM) *
Sorry that I don't contribute anything more meaningful, but the Name of the Wind indeed was awesome. Can't wait till days two and three.

I know, I know! The release has been pushed back like twice 'cause he had a kid, or something (I forget what it was). Anyway, according to his Blog the date is March 2011 for real this time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012