Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hour Trollz iz diff'ent...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CanRay
Well, I suggested a fight between a Discworld Troll (Which is made of minerals), and a Shadowrun Troll...

So, who would win?

Also, what about other Trolls?
Karoline
I think the D&D troll would win by virtue of regeneration.
Yerameyahu
So, are they armed? Whose tech?

I think Disc trolls are stronger, and a little bigger (ignoring infants and ancients); they're made of geographically-determined rocks, but probably granite is a good baseline. They're much stupider, depending on the ambient temperature (another special case). In many ways, Disc trolls are a further step on the Shadowrun path of human, ork, troll… stronger, dumber, rockier. smile.gif

Psh, Karoline, you can stop that with a zippo. It depends on the tech, and it's not necessarily fair to just say 'no tech', either.
Reg06
Assuming both the DW and SR trolls are mundane with equal training, the DW troll, by virtue of being significantly tougher. The SR troll has access to resources that will allow it to easily beat a DW troll (punches of 20+ DV at half impact armor, power claws, miniguns etc...), unless the DW troll is the size of a small hill (because Discworld trolls get bigger as they get younger).
Nifft
Discworld troll sells his teeth for еее.

Discworld troll invests in a van with a near-cryogenic rigger cocoon, a datajack, a BTL hot-sim module, and a bunch of hacking software.

Discworld troll's Logic increases in inverse proportion to temperature, so he gains an AI-like grasp of damn near everything. Discworld troll hacks an anti-personnel satellite and kills the SR troll from orbit.
TheScrivener
And this, kiddies, is why you don't cross-pollinate your fictons!
Yerameyahu
Ew, fanfics.

Anyway, I think we can agree that the Runner's Companion would have 'Diamond Troll' metavariant available at almost no cost (based on the general rule of, 'the more useful a metavariant, the cheaper it is').
Reg06
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 18 2010, 06:57 PM) *
Ew, fanfics.

Worse. Troll slashfic.
Thanee
The forum troll wins! biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Mongoose
I figure a Discworld troll is, roughly speaking, an earth spirit in materialized form. Slower and dumber than the spirit would be, but the physical stats are about right.
Dwight
QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 18 2010, 11:08 AM) *
Well, I suggested a fight between a Discworld Troll (Which is made of minerals), and a Shadowrun Troll...

So, who would win?

I propose a Spelling Bee Cage Match, winner takes all.
Mayhem_2006
That rather depends on the discworld troll in question...

Rincewind: You really should put the campfire out.

Bandits inside "cave": No chance! Everyone knows that trolls stay away from fire.

Rincewind: Ah, but this one can;t, you see.

Bandits: Why not?

Rincewind: Because you've lit it on his tongue...
Neraph
QUOTE (Karoline @ Oct 18 2010, 11:23 AM) *
I think the D&D troll would win by virtue of regeneration.

Half-Black Dragon War Troll for the win!
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Nifft @ Oct 18 2010, 05:46 PM) *
Discworld troll sells his teeth for еее.

Discworld troll invests in a van with a near-cryogenic rigger cocoon, a datajack, a BTL hot-sim module, and a bunch of hacking software.

Discworld troll's Logic increases in inverse proportion to temperature, so he gains an AI-like grasp of damn near everything. Discworld troll hacks an anti-personnel satellite and kills the SR troll from orbit.

WHERE'S YOUR GOD NOW?!
ProfGast
"What d'you mean what kinda accent is dis?"
"It's a TROLL accent"
"Ja makin' me crazy mon."
Neraph
The half-black dragon war troll still wins since it can only be killed with Death Effects, and Shadowrun doesn't have those. Although Essence Loss would probably kill it, being similar enough a mechanic to be analogous.
Yerameyahu
Don't sneak your evil D&D stuff in here. (Only +12 LA, btw. Shall we give the SR troll an extra 500 karma?)
Karoline
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 19 2010, 12:39 AM) *
Don't sneak your evil D&D stuff in here. (Only +12 LA, btw. Shall we give the SR troll an extra 500 karma?)

No one said they had to be equivalent. In fact, that would rather defeat the purpose of a 'which troll is stronger' question if you go and add things to make them equal. Also, wouldn't fire still kill the half-black dragon troll? Should only grant an immunity to acid.

Edit: And who says level 1 D&D is even remotely close to 400 BP SR?
Yerameyahu
War trolls (inexplicably) aren't vulnerable to fire. That's the point of that ungodly +12 LA monstrosity.

Of course they have to be equivalent. You might as well just give anything in D&D 20 levels of mage and say 'it wins'. smile.gif And nobody said that Lvl 1 was 400 BP. I jokingly said that level 13 might be near 900 karma. In reality, we all know that you can't compare the two systems at all.
Karoline
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 19 2010, 02:58 AM) *
War trolls (inexplicably) aren't vulnerable to fire. That's the point of that ungodly +12 LA monstrosity.

Of course they have to be equivalent. You might as well just give anything in D&D 20 levels of mage and say 'it wins'. smile.gif And nobody said that Lvl 1 was 400 BP. I jokingly said that level 13 might be near 900 karma. In reality, we all know that you can't compare the two systems at all.

Well, there would be some very loose ways to compare them, but it would be difficult.

But what I meant was you have 'troll' vs 'troll' both lacking any particular skills as far as which one is better. Because it is from there that you throw improvements upon them. So you don't compare discworld troll to SR troll with rocket launcher, you compare discworld troll to SR troll. Similarly you don't compare D&D troll (even with its templates) to SR troll with tons of karma, because then you are looking at which is a better character (or some such) as opposed to which is a better troll.
Neraph
What about a Half-Black Dragon War Troll Mystic Adept Dzoo-noo-qua?
sabs
Trollops would be the clear winners in any fight.
Neraph
What about Trololol?
Thanee
Awesome song! grinbig.gif

Bye
Thanee
Dwight
Where does Trolli fit in with this?
Yerameyahu
They make gummy versions of everything mentioned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012