Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gyrojet Rifles?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Nerdynick
Pretty simple question really. I can't see why they wouldn't exist. I know they failed in real life just because they needed space to reach lethal velocity, but a gyrojet sniper rifle would encourage long range use and thus make the weapon more effective.

-Cheers
KarmaInferno
Arsenal, pg 40 has a Gyrojet Pistol, but I don't see any Rifles.

-k
Nifft
Huh.

Now I want guided rocket ammo which is initially propelled by a rifle-sized railgun.
Shrike30
QUOTE (Nifft)
Now I want guided rocket ammo which is initially propelled by a rifle-sized railgun.

Eclipse Phase
Nerdynick
Okay. Suggested stats for such a weapon?
Dhuul
If you want to use a Gyrojet Rifle in your game i suggest folowing stats:

- increase damage and armor penetration by +1 / -1 to reflect bigger (still small) rockets
- use range of sporting/sniper rifle (your choice, i would use sporting rifle)
- price of rifle around 5.000 nuyen.gif with an availability of 16F
- price of rockets is price for pistol-rockets*5, availability same as weapon, 16F

keep in mind though, that this weapon doesn't really make sense from a cost-effectiveness point of view.
it would be used for style more than for stats. a sniper rifle packs more punch for cheaper ammo.

in sr3 the damage of the gyrojet pistol could use homing missile, which it can't in sr4 (correct me if i'm wrong but i didn't see that anywhere). then it made sense to use it, but now you can have the same damage with a much cheaper weapon. the only reason to use the gyrojet pistol (or rifle for that matter) would be in a waterborn special-ops mission where you need an (unsilenced) sidearm which you can use both above and below the water surface.
Nerdynick
That and it packs a little more punch than your average heavy pistol if you're looking to optimize or if you just have that much money lying around and the karma to buy the exotic weapon skill.
KarmaInferno
I still remember the commentary by the inventor that if you stuck your finger over the muzzle of the prototype pistol, the gyrojet round couldn't actually exit the weapon, because it takes a bit of time and distance to get up to full speed and power, and while in the barrel it still didn't have enough power to overcome the finger blocking the way.

-k
Nifft
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 24 2010, 02:26 PM) *
I still remember the commentary by the inventor that if you stuck your finger over the muzzle of the prototype pistol, the gyrojet round couldn't actually exit the weapon, because it takes a bit of time and distance to get up to full speed and power, and while in the barrel it still didn't have enough power to overcome the finger blocking the way.

Now that sounds like an excellent feature for a mini-grenade. Make the arming mechanism key off velocity rather than distance and you're golden.
Nerdynick
You have to ask yourself though, how much has the technology advanced in 2070? Perhaps its more effective?

Of course with the advent of the water carbine, or whatever its called, we have a ready source of underwater firepower. Gyrojets might be obsolete.
IceKatze
hi hi

Well, they exist in real life so I imagine they'd exist in Shadowrun. Although I'm not sure what benefit you would get by having one in rifle format. The accuracy is going to by mostly dependent on the precision of the projectile rather than the barrel, and since gyrojets don't produce recoil, you can have just as big a projectile in a pistol size as you could in a rifle size.
Mayhem_2006
IIRC the modern gyrojet was explosive as standard, and also functions much better underwater than a non-rocket-propelled bullet as it has constant acceleration to overcome water resistance.

In 2070 I would expect them to be able to home in to a limited extent on a suitably designated target, either by use of a designator beam or an RFID attached to the victim, perhaps granting a small to-hit bonus (or a penalty to the opponents defence might be more appropriate as its not easier to shoot a hypothetical guided gyrojet round in the right direction than a normal bullet, but it is harder to get out of the way of it once it is en route)
Fix-it
feel free to keep your weapon that can't shoot out of light cover.

if you want guided-mini-missles, just do that. don't make a rifle out of it.

the whole point of a rifle construction is to use the person's body to absorb recoil and gyrojet rounds have no recoil.
CanRay
I want Gyrojet Rockets that can be loaded into artillery...
KarmaInferno
Reall, Gyrojet rockets are functionally not really THAT different from any other dumb-fire rocket.

The only main alterations are the size, and the rocket exhaust is angled such that it causes the rockets to spin, which is why it's called "gyrojet".

Amd Rocket Assisted Projectiles already exist for artillery.

-k
Yerameyahu
Those are called 'rockets'.
KarmaInferno
Rockets are fired from rails or rocket launchers, and are usually direct-fire.

RAPs are fired from artillery and are usually indirect-fire.

-pedantic k
Yerameyahu
What about rocket artillery? BAM. biggrin.gif Actually, I was intending to respond to CanRay, just *really* late.
CanRay
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 24 2010, 08:22 PM) *
Those are called 'rockets'.

Oh, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. nyahnyah.gif

Yeah, need sarcasm font.
Nifft
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Oct 23 2010, 09:08 PM) *

Are you talking about Seekers?
Nerdynick
Well, in real life, I imagine that using a rifle would be more accurate on the range. I've never shot a pistol (kinda weird how that happens), but I have shot rifles and shotguns. In normal combat it wouldn't really matter, but you might see a difference on a range or using a bipod.
Dahrken
The tricky part is that unless the projectile is guided, the propulsion is going to increase dispersion at long range, making the whole concept of the "sniper rocket" somewhat murky.
KarmaInferno
The performance of RAP artillery shells bears that idea out - it does increase the range, but it also can decrease the accuracy at extreme ranges.

-k
Shrike30
I might be inclined to use the same damage code for a rifle as the pistol, assuming the same size round. Obviously if you use a bigger round, the code would go up.

Another option would be a carbine... SMG ranges, same damage as pistol.
Manunancy
The only benefit of a crabine format would a somewhat improved aiming thanks to the steadier handling and extra length of the aiming system. Which can improve the accurate range but won't do a thing for the maximum range. That one will be strictly defined by the rocket.
Shrike30
Shadowrun's "Extreme" range has never represented the maximum range of a weapon, just the furthest out you can be expected to hit something with it ("accurate range" is a pretty good label for it). If you can get a gyrojet up to a high enough velocity that it does damage comparable to a serious heavy pistol round, it's not going to suddenly lose all of that momentum at 50 meters, even if that's where the rocket stops burning... it'll simply continue as a ballistic projectile. The suggestion of using SMG ranges was simply to reflect the improvement in accurate range with the same round.
KarmaInferno
Yeah, there was an incident, in Iraq, I think? A sniper on an apartment building had a group of American soldiers pinned down, and one of the soldiers fired back. The soldier's rifle was only rated for 800 to 1000 meters, and the sniper was about 1800 meters away, so the soldier was really just trying to get the sniper to duck or at least throw his aim off. After the soldier's first shot, though, the sniper dropped out of sight and did not continue firing.

Later when they got up to the apartment where the sniper was at, they found he had a nice hole blown through his center mass.

-k
crash2029
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Oct 26 2010, 02:24 AM) *
Yeah, there was an incident, in Iraq, I think? A sniper on an apartment building had a group of American soldiers pinned down, and one of the soldiers fired back. The soldier's rifle was only rated for 800 to 1000 meters, and the sniper was about 1800 meters away, so the soldier was really just trying to get the sniper to duck or at least throw his aim off. After the soldier's first shot, though, the sniper dropped out of sight and did not continue firing.

Later when they got up to the apartment where the sniper was at, they found he had a nice hole blown through his center mass.

-k

And that is why we have Edge.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Oct 26 2010, 08:26 PM) *
And that is why we have Edge.

THIS is edge.

The title says: Why I fear China.

The below text says: Because everybody there is chinese, and this is scares me a lot. A country where no one wears helmet when driving bikes because they know they are fucking ninjas and know they land on their feet and have seven lives?! No thanks, I'm fine here watching Jackie Chan on TV.
Draco18s
QUOTE (IceKatze @ Oct 24 2010, 04:51 PM) *
Well, they exist in real life so I imagine they'd exist in Shadowrun.

Even moar info.
Yerameyahu
It still looks like (RL) gyrojet is a big loser in cost, range, possibly damage, definitely velocity, etc. In the alternate future of SR 2070, the basic technology could well have been refined and upgraded. *shrug*
Shrike30
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 27 2010, 10:00 AM) *
It still looks like (RL) gyrojet is a big loser in cost, range, possibly damage, definitely velocity, etc. In the alternate future of SR 2070, the basic technology could well have been refined and upgraded. *shrug*

Same's true of lasers, etc. No reason why the semi-far future can't have fixed the tech, or had a sideways breakthrough that makes it feasible. Or hell, maybe the rounds are 20mm and the gun's magazine sticks out a few inches from the bottom, just to make it effective.
Yerameyahu
Right, I think that's exactly what I said. smile.gif High-five!
Shrike30
^_^
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012