Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: implantable led array!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hobgoblin
http://www.gizmag.com/biocompatible-flexib...ed-array/16708/

how did i miss this during my gizmag reads?! Now i want to see how well it can do a neon blue circuit board pattern.
Jhaiisiin
That's actually pretty cool.
Draco18s
Definitely awesome.
(And I totally did think "glowing tattoo")
((The only tattoo I'd ever get would be one that I could change))
Stahlseele
and i still don't get how LED's are supposed to help in a medical kind of way . .
Udoshi
Color coding your body for the doctors convenience, of course!
hobgoblin
i recall a implantable biomonitor that would show state of health using color coded words.

how about a blood alcohol sensor that shows how drunk you are?
etherial
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 26 2010, 06:14 PM) *
i recall a implantable biomonitor that would show state of health using color coded words.

how about a blood alcohol sensor that shows how drunk you are?

Aye, or even better, an implanted glucosameter.
Nerdynick
On the subject of cyberware, they appear to be developing titanium bone lacing: http://www.gizmag.com/tifoam-titanium-bone-implants/16453/
TheScrivener
I think a built-in BAC meter would just give frat boys an impetus to get the number as high as it goes... maybe I'm just a cynic.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (TheScrivener @ Oct 26 2010, 07:20 PM) *
I think a built-in BAC meter would just give frat boys an impetus to get the number as high as it goes... maybe I'm just a cynic.

No Scrivener... you're just being a realist. The number of frat boys dying because of "Pushing the Numbers"* would increase.

* == Since the BAC implant would give a number I decided to call it "Pushing the Numbers".
Draco18s
Odds are they'd never reach this one guy I heard about from my mom's time working disbatch at the Seattle police.

Dog catcher couldn't sleep (regular thing) so he came in to work early and was behind this guy who suddenly went hard right off into a field. Dog catcher followed and brought him into the station, had him take a breathalizer test.

Dude breathed a 0.9% BAC. No, I didn't mean 0.09%, I mean almost a full 1% and the guy was walking, talking, and driving.

For a point of reference, death usually occurs around 0.4%.
Mongoose
Blow tests have a HUGE margin of error due to various factors, so I doubt the guy was actually at .9%; as noted, that's well over common lethal limits.
Blow tests really shouldn't hold up in court. The only reason they do is because you agree to take one an abide by the results (you can refuse and take a blood test instead), and even then a decent lawyer can get you leniency based on the possible error.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Oct 27 2010, 01:12 AM) *
Blow tests have a HUGE margin of error due to various factors, so I doubt the guy was actually at .9%; as noted, that's well over common lethal limits.
Blow tests really shouldn't hold up in court. The only reason they do is because you agree to take one an abide by the results (you can refuse and take a blood test instead), and even then a decent lawyer can get you leniency based on the possible error.

Oh, he was at 0.9 for sure, they did the test twice and later did a blood test, IIRC. Guy was a life-long alcoholic and had built up quite a substantial tolerance.
hobgoblin
read something similar some years back about a guy in poland. When they pulleed him over he fell out of the car when they opened the door however. The funniest part was the doc running the blood test a second time as he thought the first results was a error. The guy needed 48 hours in the cell before he was sober enough to release.
Draco18s
Yes, absurdly high BACs do occur, my point was: frat boys wouldn't be able to do it.
hobgoblin
but seeing them spectacularly fail would be darwin in action wink.gif
Rayzorblades
A kid I used to work with was 19 years old, he got so hammered on his birthday he ended up fighting with cops who gave him a beatdown and then took him to the hospital, which he walked out of after getting tests done. The nurse later told us (he was with me a couple days later because I had a gallbladder attack) that she had only seen 2 other people with blood alcohol levels as high as his was that night, they were both in comas and didn't last the night. 1.2%. He was ridiculously proud, the nurse was like "You likely have such intense liver scarring you'll die before 30". He still drinks a case or more of beer a day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012