Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speaking of blimps...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Cray74
So, here I am, stranded away from my precious Rigger 3 book and with a vehicle construction question...

What's the biggest cargo load the largest blimp/zeppelin/LTA vehicle made by Rigger 3 rules can haul?
viper
QUOTE (Cray74)
What's the biggest cargo load the largest blimp/zeppelin/LTA vehicle made by Rigger 3 rules can haul?

Well from a quick squizz at my copy of R3 you have:

Zepplin-

150CF max
2500 load max - Battery
4000 load max - EFC
5000 load max - Jet Turbine
4000 load max - Jet Prop

I think that is all.

[EDIT: That is without any of the possible Design Options]
Herald of Verjigorm
You have two dirigible options: tiny and full sized. Full sized has a max CF of 150, and with a jet turbine can carry up to 5 tons.

Meaning you have up to 5 tons in 18.75 cubic meters of theoretical space.
Zazen
Why does the power plant of a blimp have anything to do with its load capacity? Does it provide lift?
Herald of Verjigorm
The load is not a straight carrying weight as much as the amount of mass the power plant can propell before losing noticable effect. In a full level of realism, the economy and acceleration and maybe top speed would be variable based on what percentage of the load is currently in use. Such realism is avoided, because calculating the current efficiency based on the current fuel weight and how many stolen trideos there are in the back is not enjoyable to most RPers.
viper
QUOTE (Zazen @ Aug 23 2003, 01:21 AM)
Why does the power plant of a blimp have anything to do with its load capacity? Does it provide lift?

Yeah, what Herald said. Much better than what I said.

[Edit: Got rid of my long winded response.]
Zazen
I guess that makes sense. I figured it could also be incorporating differing weights of the various power plants.
The Question Man
Cargo Lifter of Germany produced a Prototype that was capable of lifting 50tons folded due to financial difficulties . A French government owned corporation ( the name escapes me at the moment ) is working on their own prototype capable of lifting 5000tons . All in all pretty amazing . With advancements available in 2060 , I can see a vast fleet of AirShips being used worl wide . The Good Year Blimp had available On-Line it's operational costs for the last 30yrs , but I can't locate them now . Try a few Google seaches . cool.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (The Question Man)
Cargo Lifter of Germany produced a Prototype that was capable of lifting 50tons  folded due to financial difficulties . A French government owned corporation  ( the name escapes me at the moment ) is working on their own prototype capable of lifting 5000tons . All in all pretty amazing . With advancements available in 2060 , I can see a vast fleet of AirShips being used worl wide . The Good Year Blimp had available On-Line it's operational costs for the last 30yrs , but I can't locate them now . Try a few Google seaches .  cool.gif

I'm aware of real world efforts, so I didn't ask about them. I asked about what the largest airship that could be made within Rigger 3 (Shadowrun) rules was, because I wanted to compare those airships to real world ones.

The answer seems to be: Shadowrun LTA vehicles are pretty darn small (5-ton capacity), something like small, private blimps or the Goodyear airships and nothing at all like the giants of yesteryear.
Birdy
QUOTE (Cray74)
QUOTE (The Question Man)
Cargo Lifter of Germany produced a Prototype that was capable of lifting 50tons  folded due to financial difficulties . A French government owned corporation  ( the name escapes me at the moment ) is working on their own prototype capable of lifting 5000tons . All in all pretty amazing . With advancements available in 2060 , I can see a vast fleet of AirShips being used worl wide . The Good Year Blimp had available On-Line it's operational costs for the last 30yrs , but I can't locate them now . Try a few Google seaches .  cool.gif

I'm aware of real world efforts, so I didn't ask about them. I asked about what the largest airship that could be made within Rigger 3 (Shadowrun) rules was, because I wanted to compare those airships to real world ones.

The answer seems to be: Shadowrun LTA vehicles are pretty darn small (5-ton capacity), something like small, private blimps or the Goodyear airships and nothing at all like the giants of yesteryear.

Maybe not of a big help but the german version of Rigger-3 has additional Zeppelin data. The errata either is out or will be soon (See the thread on Rigger-3 revised)

Birdy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012