Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fake SINs and non-humans
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Hamsnibit
So i had this discussion with my mates regarding genetests and genetic strangers (surge, infected and shapeshifters) and my question is:
When the genepool is altered or completely non-human and your SIN (r6 in my case) states you as a human and you get SINchecked - what happen?
There are two points to argue from:
1. The scanner just compares your DNA with the saved one in the SIN and nothing happens
2. The number of chromosomes is hardcoded and derived from the metatype and any DNAbased check will automatically fail which means : if you ever get caught in a DNA based SINcheck the loophole kicks in and you get your ass spanked (or not - depending on the situation).
Another possibility is that the Scanners roughly check several DNA markers which would end in the same result in the case of an infected, surge or whatever non-human sapient with a "human" sin.

in the end, it comes down to the question if a SIN is useful for these guys at all - there is no use in registering yourself as an infected at all since you get no rights as an infected and only a few nations accepts shapeshifters.

So whats your opinion on this topic? To which lenghts are SINs fakeable or not? do you guys have any useful sources regarding this or are you just houseruling too?
Fauxknight
I can't imagine too many places double check your DNA. Very high security clearance/background check for a corporation or government entity?

...but if they did for some reason run a DNA test and figured from the results that you were not human, then a fake SIN that says you are human would likely be caught.
Mäx
Just don't get a SIN that says your a Human if your not, i wouldn't exactly call it a rating 6 fake SIN if it doesn't even have your correct race.
Surge shouldn't be a problem for SIN from anywhere.
For a shapeshifter get a SIN from Amazonia,Siberia or possible even EVO or Horizon(can't remember for sure if they give full rights to shifters or not)
For an infected Asamando SIN might work.
sabs
Just remember having an Amazonia SiN and being caught by Aztechnology Security could.. cause some issues.
Mäx
QUOTE (sabs @ Nov 3 2010, 11:04 PM) *
Just remember having an Amazonia SiN and being caught by Aztechnology Security could.. cause some issues.

Getting caught by Aztechnology Security most likely will cause issues no matter what SIN you have wink.gif
Hamsnibit
Already considered the option buying a Czech or EVO SIN but who says that these SINs are accepted by law in e.g. UCAS where shapeshifters have no rights atm. Or do they have to accept your SIN as a full righted citizen of e.g. EVO this would be the solution then, money isnt the capping factor in this case.

Im just imagining a metal concert in the middle of Boston visted by several hundred ghouls with legal Asamondo SINs and nobody can do anything about it.
Mäx
Not letting anyone into the country with Asamando SIN might be an option, but selectively not respecting a SIN from a AAA level megacorp really isn't an option for any country(IMHO)
sabs
Well there's caught as in.. caught red handed. And then there's.. hey why are you visiting our Boston Headquarters.

Wouldn't UCAS have to recognize Asamondo? Which I highly doubt it does.
Fauxknight
QUOTE (Hamsnibit @ Nov 3 2010, 05:08 PM) *
Already considered the option buying a Czech or EVO SIN but who says that these SINs are accepted by law in e.g. UCAS where shapeshifters have no rights atm.

If you aren't doing anything illegal then no one will care, you can be a tourist or whatever and stay out of any highly secured areas. The main problem with one of these SINs is that anyone who checks it will know 'what' you are.
Hamsnibit
QUOTE (Fauxknight @ Nov 3 2010, 10:19 PM) *
If you aren't doing anything illegal then no one will care, you can be a tourist or whatever and stay out of any highly secured areas. The main problem with one of these SINs is that anyone who checks it will know 'what' you are.

Nah, i just wanted to have a relatively save SIN for the sake of having a compfy daily life without having my shifter developing a genecheck neurosis, i think buying a SIN from an awakened friendly state or a corp should be the soulution.

Thank you guys spin.gif
pbangarth
If a Free Spirit has Realistic Form (maybe even with Mutable Form), does the Realistic Form allow the spirit to pass such a DNA test? Yes, I know spirits don't have DNA, but the Power says it appears normal "to any senses".
Yerameyahu
Probably depends on the GM. Realistic Form is a tricky one.

So, since when are there 'genetic SIN checks'? If they exist, I assume that *everyone* would fail them, correct race or not, except for the fact that they could already tell (by looking) if your SIN says Ork and you're a Dwarf. biggrin.gif
pbangarth
That is a good point, Yerameyahu. DNA testing takes a long time, CSI franchise notwithstanding.
KarmaInferno
The population numbers of some of the metasapients are so low you'd think they all or nearly all would be on file somewhere.

-k
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 5 2010, 07:13 AM) *
That is a good point, Yerameyahu. DNA testing takes a long time, CSI franchise notwithstanding.

I recently read something about how dutch researchers had developed testing methods for the police that'll give some basic results in six hours. That's pretty fast, but not enough to keep the queues moving at the post office.
Mesh
I don't think there are any "scanners" per say that can scan you and get your DNA sequence so a SIN check isn't going to be an issue. If someone gets a bio sample, then I agree your SIN is busted if your race doesn't match.

Mesh
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Mesh @ Nov 5 2010, 02:59 PM) *
I don't think there are any "scanners" per say that can scan you and get your DNA sequence so a SIN check isn't going to be an issue. If someone gets a bio sample, then I agree your SIN is busted if your race doesn't match.

Mesh

"Mister....Eriksson."
"Yeah, that's me."
"You're classified as...Human?"
"Mhm!"
"Your SIN says you're a Troll."
"...I got better!"
Mesh
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Nov 5 2010, 11:00 AM) *
"Mister....Eriksson."
"Yeah, that's me."
"You're classified as...Human?"
"Mhm!"
"Your SIN says you're a Troll."
"...I got better!"

But I paid 6,000¥ for quality! How about this one that says I'm an elephant headed, shiva armed dwarf?

Mesh
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Mesh @ Nov 5 2010, 03:05 PM) *
But I paid 6,000¥ for quality! How about this one that says I'm an elephant headed, shiva armed dwarf?

Mesh

I'd say they pulled the wrong file. nyahnyah.gif
Shinobi Killfist
Isn't this described anywhere. I'd think ID checks are one of the most routine security checks I am fairly sure earlier editions covered this. Checking SR4A the SIN section does not really go into detail on what a sin check entails. I mean all I find detail wise is a generic statement, "The rating of the fake SIN is used in Opposed Tests against
the ratings of any verification systems trying to discern its authenticity" in the equipment section. But no detail on what a sin reader checks. And I actually don't see any details on what a sin reader is, it is not in the equipment section which makes that opposed test kind of hard except for me making up random numbers for what a police officer would have.
etherial
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Nov 5 2010, 01:43 PM) *
Isn't this described anywhere. I'd think ID checks are one of the most routine security checks I am fairly sure earlier editions covered this. Checking SR4A the SIN section does not really go into detail on what a sin check entails. I mean all I find detail wise is a generic statement, "The rating of the fake SIN is used in Opposed Tests against the ratings of any verification systems trying to discern its authenticity" in the equipment section. But no detail on what a sin reader checks. And I actually don't see any details on what a sin reader is, it is not in the equipment section which makes that opposed test kind of hard except for me making up random numbers for what a police officer would have.

It depends entirely on the level of SIN check. If you're walking through Downtown Seattle, the Knight Errant Drone just checks to see that you're broadcasting a SIN and that it's valid. If you're trying to garner Security Clearance in a Corp or Government situation, they'll probably collect Ritual Links and run a full DNA scan.
Yerameyahu
Certainly very high security checks exist. I just wouldn't call them 'SIN checks'. Hmm.
Zyerne
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Nov 5 2010, 06:43 PM) *
I actually don't see any details on what a sin reader is.

"You've thought impure thoughts 5 times today AND kicked a cat? That'll be 1000¥ or a week in the slammer."
Yerameyahu
You are fined 1 credit for violation of the verbal morality code.
Fauxknight
I don't hear a red ball.
Saint Hallow
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 5 2010, 04:18 PM) *
You are fined 1 credit for violation of the verbal morality code.

Which reminds me... does Shadowrun use the 3 shells?
Summerstorm
Of course... paper is too expensive *g*.

Well, back to SIN checks... i got nothing. All has been said... humm...
Aku
QUOTE (Saint Hallow @ Nov 5 2010, 04:01 PM) *
Which reminds me... does Shadowrun use the 3 shells?

Well, they do have virtual Renraku parlors for your non physical contact sexual needs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012