Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runner's kit
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Inncubi

OK, we all know the gear basics a team member needs: hackers can't do without their souped up commlink, sammies need their guns and 'ware, mages their power foci...

But how about we build kits, of varying costs, that may be bought easily and are efficient.

I'd say to escalate the costs, for 10.000 nuyen.gif , 20.000 nuyen.gif and 50.000 nuyen.gif
The kits should be as generic and useful as possible, and should/could include:

-Commlink with appliances and programs.
-B&E gear, non skill specific
-Sensors
-Utility stuff
-Vehicle and drones
-Lifestyle and safehouses
-Armour
-Sidearms, sideweapons
-Etc. (Agents, Pilot program)

Optimization should go for price, ammount of gear and rating of gear, how usable it is (variety of situations and not so many skills to work properly). No item should have an availability higher than 12 or rating higher than 6.
Remember this not to be role-specific. Weapons are left out because the primary one is left to individual characters to determine and customize (A sammy's Assault Rifle, a sniper's Sniper Rifle, etc).
Role-specific items are left out, no binding materials, for example.
Important things to cover are: commlink security and matrix effectiveness (I think most archetypes seem to forget that they too can use the matrix effectively and to their benefit, even if not as effective as full blown hackers. This could/should cover it), licenses and SINs, being able to spot in an effective way, yet subtle too, items should be, ideally, repleaceable within a margin.

As to what books can be used, mainly BBB, I think Arsenal, Augmentation and Unwired may have nifty toys, but avoid the more "arcane" things, try to keep it simple, so more people can use this lists with a minimum fuzz. For extra fun factor pack it and sell it likea real Fixer or Company Man.

Let's what

Lansdren
I suggest you look up both PACKS and the other one some french guys did Dumbass runners kits or something. Both are searchble and AH's packs has been very nicely updated and formated now.

Inncubi
I wasn't aware those existed... I'll do it. Thanks for the info.

But still, I think the thread is valid in that new ideas are welcome.
Inncubi
OK, we all know the gear basics a team member needs: hackers can't do without their souped up commlink, sammies need their guns and 'ware, mages their power foci...

But how about we build kits, of varying costs, that may be bought easily and are efficient.

I'd say to escalate the costs, for 10.000 nuyen.gif , 20.000 nuyen.gif and 50.000 nuyen.gif
The kits should be as generic and useful as possible, and should/could include:

-Commlink with appliances and programs.
-B&E gear, non skill specific
-Sensors
-Utility stuff
-Vehicle and drones
-Lifestyle and safehouses
-Armour
-Sidearms, sideweapons
-Etc. (Agents, Pilot program)

Optimization should go for price, ammount of gear and rating of gear, how usable it is (variety of situations and not so many skills to work properly). No item should have an availability higher than 12 or rating higher than 6.
Remember this not to be role-specific. Weapons are left out because the primary one is left to individual characters to determine and customize (A sammy's Assault Rifle, a sniper's Sniper Rifle, etc).
Role-specific items are left out, no binding materials, for example.
Important things to cover are: commlink security and matrix effectiveness (I think most archetypes seem to forget that they too can use the matrix effectively and to their benefit, even if not as effective as full blown hackers. This could/should cover it), licenses and SINs, being able to spot in an effective way, yet subtle too, items should be, ideally, repleaceable within a margin.

As to what books can be used, mainly BBB, I think Arsenal, Augmentation and Unwired may have nifty toys, but avoid the more "arcane" things, try to keep it simple, so more people can use this lists with a minimum fuzz. For extra fun factor pack it and sell it likea real Fixer or Company Man.

Let's see what happens.

EDIT: I found this on another topic, the list comes from, Paws2sky and its comprehensive.

How about costs?

This list is for the truly professional runners, not the part time one:

" * Fake SIN: This is your main identity for when you're working. Ideally, you'll have all the necessary licenses and permits for your gear. Get the best rating possible.
* Fake SIN: If you can afford it, a second Fake SIN should be used for lifestyle and non-work related purposes.
* Concealable Pistol: choose a Taser, Hold-Out, or Light Pistol with concealable holster. Preferred non-lethal rounds include Capsulize Pepper Punch or Stick-N-Shock. Even if you can't use a Pistol, consider carrying one for show.
* Backup Weapon: Knives, survival knives, and extending clubs are good choices. Ideally, it should be something legal that you'll get minimal hassle for.
* Working Commlink: This commlink is used only for work and is typically kept in hidden mode. Load it up with your essential work-related programs. If you can afford it, get an agent or some IC.
* Decoy Link: Because you're goign to need something to broadcast with in public, secure areas, you should cosider a Decoy Link. A Disposable Commlink or a Metalink with Vector Xim OS are the most cost effective options. General switch it out as often as you can afford to. This should be associated with your "working" identity.
* Private Link: If you have a dedicated SIN for paying bills and such, or you're are incredibly paranoid, you need a third comllink. Any low-end or middle-of-the-road model should suffice. Use this for your public profile, the SIN you use to pay your rent and stuff. Never take it with you on a job.
* Programs: Beyond the common use programs, which you should consider investing in eventually, there are a few hacker programs worth dropping some green on. Chief among them are Stealth, ECCM, and Decrypt, all of which can be useful. Data Bomb, Armor, and Biofeedback Filters are also good choices. Leave the other combat programs to the hackers unless you know what you're doing.
* Personal Electronics: Assuming you don't have implants to cover the following, consider this setup:
o Contacts (3) with Image Link, Smartlink, Vision Magnification
o Glasses or Goggles (3) with Low-Light (or Thermographic, if you have natural Low-Light), Flare Compensation, and Vision Enhancement (3)
o Earbuds (2) with Audio Enhancement (3) and Spatial Recognizer
* Body Armor: Buy armor that is optimized for your Body score and that you can get away with wearing to as many places as possible. Armor Vests, Auctioneer Business Clothes, and fancier outfits like the Steampunk line are ideal.
* Tools of the Trade: If you have specialized skills, such as mechanical skills, you should consider investing in the tools to use your skills. Sounds silly, but I've seen more than a few folks needing to bum tools to do their work.
* Personal Vehicle: Even if you don't drive much, invest in some kind of personal vehicle if you can afford it. Nothing is more embarrassing than being late to a meet because the crosstown shuttle got caught in a traffic snarl.
* Certified Credsticks: Get a bundle of these if you can. They're still used just about everywhere and are virtually untraceable, making them ideal for bribes. Some higher-end establishments might give you a raised eyebrow, but legal cred is legal cred.
* Medical Supplies: Medkit (6), Biomonitor, and assorted slap patches. You never know when you might need them.

And if that's not enough, the ultra-paranoid should consider an "Oh Shit Kit" for when everything goes to Hell and you need to skip town, now. Your emergency kit should include, at a minimum:

* Fake SIN: Clean and never used.
* Commlink and Accessories: Clean and never used. Load it up with legal programs. Skip the hacker stuff unless you have the licenses to back them up.
* Legal Weapons: Taser and knife or extending baton are good choices. You may have to check them at the door of some establishments, but no one should give you too much heat for them.
* Nuyen: Ideally, you'll have a mix of online account (associated with your clean SIN) and certified credsticks.
* Disguise Kit: Latex Facemask or Nanopaste Disguise, take your pick.
* Plane Ticket and Passport: Either an "open" flight reservation, arrangements for a charter service, or an agent ready to book the first available flight out of town. Get a passport (legit, if possible) to help smooth your exit.
* Medical Supplies: Medkit (6), Biomonitor, and assorted slap patches. When you're on the run, you definitely need to have medical supplies on hand, especially if you might have taken a bullet."

Halinn
PACKS has some. And a lot of other useful stuff. Go, read it. Now.
Inncubi
Wow...

Doing it. It seems like something I have wanted to see/use for a VERY long time...

Thanks.
rofltehcat
I think there was something like that in the German SR-Nexus forums. Although that PACKS pdf seems to be pretty cool, too. But when browsing through it I kinda find it to lack an index and/or better sorting. The thing on SR-nexus was basically just a body armor bag full of stuff that you will want to have ready to grab or in a locker when you have to get away asap.
I think it costed like 10 or 15 k but it was really well balanced.

Maybe I can find it, although I surely won't translate it until tomorrow.
Edit: Nope, my quick search didn't turn up anything. But I think the guy who posted it is also active in this forum. Maybe he reads this and posts it again or something... whatever, gn8.
Inncubi
Sounds amazing, because French I can transalpine myself... German, I am out of luck unfortunately. And the idea of the armour bag is really cool, even more for such a low price (15K).
Lansdren
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...18&hl=bitos

Enjoy
rofltehcat
Found it.

Emergency suitcase: (translated freely)
If shit hits the fan and you have to vanish for 14 days, prepare an emergency suitcase and deposit it somewhere where you can access it.
My emergency suitcase contrains
The suitcase is a body armor bad (6/2) (750 ¥)
RFID free underwear, simple clothes, sanitary accessories etc. (400)
10 (inactive) ad RFIDs(0), Survivalkit & 10 emergency rations(150)
Medkit St6 ,1 refill, 1 Traumapatch, 2 Stimpatches (lvl 4 & 6) (1400)
4 chem lights,4 Magnesium torches,1 flashlight, duct tape, ammonia cleaner (100)
Latex face mask & some makeup, disguise stuff, wig (600)
Fake Sin Lvl 5 (5000)
2 Licenses (by choice, lvl 5 each) (1000 )
1 or 2 pistols (by choice, including holsters & ammo) (1000 )
2 frag grenade, 1 smoke grenade (100)
Movement sensors & camera (150)
RFID deleter & NLJ detector lvl 3 (450)
8 m of blast wire, 2 radio and 1 electical fuse (300)
Sony Emperor Comlink (2/3/2/2) & Progs(Movies, music etc) (1500)
5000 $ Cash (2500)
overall that is 15.000 ¥
with 5000 in Credsticks = Total 20.000 ¥

I built something comparable for my survivalist samurai who can also help out as amateur-hacker. It was focused a bit less on being afraid to be tracked by some random clothing-RFID but looked a bit more like joe average went for a camping weekend (not with a camper, with rather light equipment). Especially having a small tent in the pack might make hiding in the woods or in an abandoned building a bit less moist. I think my kit was also a bit cheaper, mainly because I didn't pack so many credsticks and didn't have access to such a high fake SIN.

Khadajico
The shaman in my game has something similar prepared, for either the quick bail and hide ... or long ritual in the forest.

Tent
Survival Blanket
Emergency Rations
Compact Camp Stove
Rain Gear (think lightweight waterproof poncho)
Flashlight
Compass / Maps (if obtainable)

All stored in a carriable, if a little large, backpack.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012