Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Orichalcum
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
sgtbarnes_ky
I know that in SR3 orichalcun was listed as 88,000 nuyen a unit, but I can't find the unit price anywhere in SR4/A. Does anyone know the price per unit in SR4/A, little help. I've give my team as random loot a bar worth 5 units of orichalcum, but I have no clue as to its street value, is it the same price as in SR3? wobble.gif
HunterHerne
Each unit of Oricalcum is worth 50,000 nuyen. As listed in Street Magic.
Karoline
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Nov 17 2010, 04:01 PM) *
Each unit of Oricalcum is worth 50,000 nuyen. As listed in Street Magic.

Of course, 50k nuyen is alot more than it used to be wink.gif But yes, 50k is the new street price of Oricalcum.
Vermithrax
Ahhhhhhh, my Orichalcum investments lost value. dead.gif
sgtbarnes_ky
wow ,that's a price drop in a decade, I guess all those orichalcum for cash skeems ended poorly for investors. still 50k a unit ain't to shabby. Thanks for the info I could not find that in Street Magic
sabs
QUOTE (sgtbarnes_ky @ Nov 17 2010, 10:21 PM) *
wow ,that's a price drop in a decade, I guess all those orichalcum for cash skeems ended poorly for investors. still 50k a unit ain't to shabby. Thanks for the info I could not find that in Street Magic

In a couple hundred years.. it's definitely going to go up smile.gif
Zyerne
Not quite as bad as wired reflexes which lost around 80% value.
sgtbarnes_ky
yeah I would say that when the Horrors show back up prices will sky rocket
Karoline
QUOTE (Vermithrax @ Nov 17 2010, 04:13 PM) *

Not really. 50k in SR4 nuyen is worth about 200k in SR3 nuyen, so even with the decrease from 85k to 50k, you've more than doubled your money (kinda).

Then again, I guess if you had just held on to the 85k you'd still have 85k. Reverse inflation is weird.
Kot
And Orichalcum will get more aviliable with the rise of magic... So better don't use it as a deposit. nyahnyah.gif
MJBurrage

See a complete summary of metal values (including orichalcum) at Alchemy at the Sixth World Wiki (compiled by yours truly)
Karoline
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Nov 17 2010, 06:32 PM) *
See a complete summary of metal values (including orichalcum) at Alchemy at the Sixth World Wiki (compiled by yours truly)

Awesome. And since gold is one of those things that remains fairly constant in relative value, we can determine that 1 nuyen ~ $10.

Hmm, that seems really off.
sgtbarnes_ky
HOLY COW, so a POUND of radical orichalcun is over 2.2 million nuyen. Wow I'm a nice GM spin.gif
pbangarth
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 17 2010, 06:37 PM) *
Awesome. And since gold is one of those things that remains fairly constant in relative value, we can determine that 1 nuyen ~ $10.

Hmm, that seems really off.
Over the course of my lifetime prices in Canada have risen roughly by a factor of 8.3.

In my lifetime gold has risen from $35.00 an ounce to approximately $1350.00 an ounce, a factor of roughly 38.6.
Karoline
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Nov 17 2010, 07:51 PM) *
Over the course of my lifetime prices in Canada have risen roughly by a factor of 8.3.

In my lifetime gold has risen from $35.00 an ounce to approximately $1350.00 an ounce, a factor of roughly 38.6.

Darn, so much for that theory.
etherial
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 17 2010, 07:56 PM) *
Darn, so much for that theory.

Gold has gone stupidly up lately. Over the long term, gold's value is stable, but short term fluctuations can be huge.
MJBurrage
I just updated Alchemy at SWW to include troy ounces as well as avoirdupois.

For the curious, an ounce (troy) of non-magical gold is worth about:
  • 1,300 USA$ in 2010
  •   125 nuyen in 2070
  •   500 UCAS$ in 2070
What some forget is that a real USA dollar has little connection to a Shadowrun UCAS dollar, and that Shadorun's refined materials are the closest to present day finished goods, since radicals are hand prepared magically useful materials.

For everyday goods, the following works well as a basic assumption.
  • $1 (USA) = 1¥ (nuyen) = 1€ = $4 (UCAS)
For more on conversion rates see Nuyen at SWW

Edited: 2010 November 18, 3:00 AM
Whipstitch
Gold is subject to a lot of polite fictions. You know how Publilius Syrus said that things are worth whatever purchasers are willing to pay for them? Well, for much of history, it's been convenient to say that gold has a "stable" price, so lo and behold, it has often maintained its value over pretty long periods of time. That's a self-fulfilling prophecy if there ever was one, but these days gold is subject to a lot more speculation simply because there are more people willing to treat gold like any other commodity that can be claimed from the earth. It leads to a wacky situation where the people with a quasi-religious belief in gold's stability are often the ones most directly responsible for spiking the prices.
MJBurrage
I had forgotten that Shadowrun's "refined" is the closest equivalent to mundane finished goods, since "radicals" are hand processed and magically useful.

Based on that I updated my previous post.
MK Ultra
QUOTE (Vermithrax @ Nov 17 2010, 11:13 PM) *

Blame the Comet twirl.gif
MK Ultra
QUOTE (sgtbarnes_ky @ Nov 18 2010, 02:37 AM) *
HOLY COW, so a POUND of radical orichalcun is over 2.2 million nuyen. Wow I'm a nice GM spin.gif

I think Orichalcum does already count as radical! You can´t radicalize it further rotate.gif
TBRMInsanity
QUOTE (MK Ultra @ Nov 18 2010, 04:34 AM) *
Blame the Comet twirl.gif

Yeah finding natural lines of Orichalcum really dropped the price quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012