Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Full Dodge/Parry with Specialization
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mmmkay
Suppose you have 4 Clubs (+2 Parry) and a Reaction of 5 then when you roll Full Parry do roll:

4 + 2 + 4 + 2 + 5 = 17

doubling the effect of a specialization on parry?

or do you just add specialization once as in : 4 + 4 + 5 + 2 = 15

Then if you made your club into a force force 3 weapon focus (assume no specialization) how many dice are you rolling for your Full Parry roll?

Double weapon foci dice: 4 + 3 + 4 + 3 + 5 = 19

Include weapon foci dice only once: 4 + 4 + 5 + 3 = 16

If you can come up with any other examples of "doubled" dice pools or potentially "doubled" dice pools I would be interested to hear about them as well.
HunterHerne
Full parry doesn't add the clubs skill twice, it adds dodge (or gymnastics) to the dice pool. You only add the specialization once.
mmmkay
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Nov 17 2010, 03:38 PM) *
Full parry doesn't add the clubs skill twice, it adds dodge (or gymnastics) to the dice pool. You only add the specialization once.

I would appreciate it if you read pg. 160 of SR4a.

Edit: Full Parry = 2x weapon skill + reaction is described on pg. 151 of the 4E corebook. Therefore Full parry does add the club skills twice.
HunterHerne
I don`t have the Anniversary addition. But, that didn`t seem like something that should`ve been changed. I would still assume the spec. only applies once.
Aku
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Nov 17 2010, 05:45 PM) *
I don`t have the Anniversary addition. But, that didn`t seem like something that should`ve been changed. I would still assume the spec. only applies once.

Then check p. 151 of SR4

Full parry roll their reaction + (melee weapon skill x 2) against any melee attacks made against them.
Karoline
It doesn't add twice, because specialization is a DP modifier, not an adjustment to the skill itself. Thus you roll Reaction 5 + Clubs 4 + Clubs 4 + Parry spec 2. Same goes for weapon foci, they add to the overall DP, not to your weapon skill.
Saint Sithney
QUOTE (mmmkay @ Nov 17 2010, 02:42 PM) *
I would appreciate it if you read pg. 160 of SR4a.

Edit: Full Parry = 2x weapon skill + reaction is described on pg. 151 of the 4E corebook. Therefore Full parry does add the club skills twice.

Specialization isn't weapon skill, it's bonus dice, so it adds to the end of the calc. Weapon Focus is described as a dicepool modifier, so same deal.

Things like reflex recorders and an Adepts Improved ability Power that add to a skill directly do get that good double-up bonus.

Still, all the Parry in the world won't keep you from getting shot to death..
Karoline
QUOTE (Saint Sithney @ Nov 17 2010, 06:19 PM) *
Still, all the Parry in the world won't keep you from getting shot to death..

You've obviously not watched enough action movies/TV shows.

Edit: Also, yes, Reflex Recorders (and adept improved ability) would double up in this case, because it actually increases the skill. For the tradeoff, it is limited by the skill max of natural skill * 1.5
HunterHerne
I stand completely corrected. Except about the specialization.
cybertier
Regarding Weapon Foci:

Do they even add to parry?
Iirc someone on some forum pointed out once, that they only add dice to attack. Got no book at hand so could someone verify?
Karoline
QUOTE (cybertier @ Nov 18 2010, 03:47 AM) *
Regarding Weapon Foci:

Do they even add to parry?
Iirc someone on some forum pointed out once, that they only add dice to attack. Got no book at hand so could someone verify?

Yep, you're correct. It does say it adds to attacks only, so no helping on defense.

Weird, could have sworn I'd read that before and seen it applied to defense as well because I had someone using a high grade weapon focus for the disarm maneuver before. Unless they changed it in 4A to include other pools with the weapon.
Zyerne
Adepts are quite scary enough in melee already. Giving the rest of the world a chance to actually hit them seems fair enough smile.gif
Medicineman
Redundant Post

with a Double Dance
Medicineman
Yerameyahu
Is that a two-step, MedicineMan?

As a *general* rule, never double anything. It's almost always abuse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012