Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tir Tairngire
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Toloran
I'm looking for (canon) information on the Tir. Mostly, I'm looking for material from older editions since all my stuff is 4th edition and I think I've found all the major bits there (Core book and Almanac, primarily). If there are any other good sources (in any edition) could someone direct me to them?
The Shuhite
The main source is a SR2 book called creatively enough Tir Tairgire. There's another book on Tir Na Nog with a similarly creative title. I think there's also stuff in Shadows of North America, SR3.
Critias
Tir Tairngire and Shadows of North America should tell you whatever you need to know. Be aware that they're both pretty out of dated, in an SR4 game, though.
MK Ultra
Yep, TT is best, SoNA has some info, too. There is a small paragraph in Target Awakened Lands IIRC, but not enough to go for the book just for that (its 1 page or so). Corporate Punishment is a collection of adventures with one situated in Portland, that has some good information, as well.

EDIT: Beware the german Elven Lands compilation it includes TT & TnO material, but cuts out some stuff, to squeeze it all in one book with the information on Pomorya (ADL).
Ascalaphus
There's also a little bit of SR4 info in Seattle 2072 iirc. But the Tir is being treated like an embarassment to be kept out of sight in SR4 frown.gif
Snow_Fox
the TTSB givesm ore of the ideal. How the high pointy ears envisioned things but go with SoNA for how it's falling apart in the passage of time. I mean if you go back to 1st ed there was nothing but frightening secrecy
Tiralee
Out-of-sight Tir is Best Tir!

Go with the 2nd ed sourcebook, lots of info and, more importantly, dish on the movers and shakers (Companies of note, etc)
Don't forget to update though, Anchient History should be able to fill you in on the rest of the coups, bloodletting and resignations.

-Tiralee
Tzeentch
-- I've collated all the references to Tir Tairngire post-SONA here on Dumpshock at this thread:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=31504

DBSubashi
After reading through Tzeentch's material, and all the replies, I find it fascinating that with all the scribes, scholars, librarians and others of worth here that no one knows how the rebels won, and what exactly happened. I guess that run I was on was executed perfectly and we all made a clean escape...
Semerkhet
QUOTE (DBSubashi @ Dec 20 2010, 05:36 AM) *
After reading through Tzeentch's material, and all the replies, I find it fascinating that with all the scribes, scholars, librarians and others of worth here that no one knows how the rebels won, and what exactly happened. I guess that run I was on was executed perfectly and we all made a clean escape...

I don't have oodles of free time to write my own setting fluff, so having in my game two PC's from Tir Tairngire combined with the near total absence of published details regarding the climax of the revolution makes me an unhappy GM.
Headshot_Joe
I live in the Tir, and I'm upset that nobody ever took into account the stuff Oregon provides that will simply cut off if we're taken over by elves. We supply a vast majority of the nation's Christmas trees, crap-tons of hazelnuts, huckleberries, and boysenberries, and we sell quite a bit of electricity to California. Where does all that go when the Tir comes about? Do elves celebrate Christmas? Would they sell excess electricity to the California Free State, or hoard it for their corporate use? I'm sure they'd keep the nuts and berries around, but what about the lumber industry?
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Headshot_Joe @ Dec 20 2010, 10:07 PM) *
Do elves celebrate Christmas?

No, it's a reminder of centuries of brutal forced labor on the north pole...
Critias
I was a big fan of the Tir for about 19 years before I was any sort of freelancer, and I know at least one other new writer feels pretty similarly -- so a few of us are pushing, when we can, to start illuminating the Tir and dealing with some of the fallout of the regime change, etc, etc. We've both been pretty busy with, y'know, our official stuff that people ask us to write, for books the big kids asked us to write...but there are a few proposals in the works, to see what we can get the green light to work on.
Tzeentch
QUOTE (Headshot_Joe @ Dec 20 2010, 08:07 PM) *
I live in the Tir, and I'm upset that nobody ever took into account the stuff Oregon provides that will simply cut off if we're taken over by elves. We supply a vast majority of the nation's Christmas trees, crap-tons of hazelnuts, huckleberries, and boysenberries, and we sell quite a bit of electricity to California. Where does all that go when the Tir comes about? Do elves celebrate Christmas? Would they sell excess electricity to the California Free State, or hoard it for their corporate use? I'm sure they'd keep the nuts and berries around, but what about the lumber industry?

-- As I noted in my collation post, the underlying theme driving SONA was "playability" - which ended up meaning "stuff gets screwed up so Shadowrunners don't immediately get arrested by the local super-Gestapo described in previous books for location X." Alone that was not so bad, because most of North America was really unplayable if the GM took Neo Anarchists Guide to North America and the Native American Nation volumes at face value. The problem appears to have come later when the developers and writers wanted to retrench and reign in some of the elements introduced in SONA and late third-edition books and everything gets wrapped up in a sentence of shadowtalk or timeline entry. Had characters trying to follow the plot threads introduced just a few books earlier? Well tough luck chuck smile.gif

-- Dealing with every little realistic element of Oregon/Tir Tairngire wasn't in my contract and would have been pretty lame if you think about it. It's an unspoken rule about Shadowrun balkanization that any head scratching logic issues (like how the Tsimshian/Salish Shidhe war could have played out like it did in the novels) is explained with a one-two punch of 1) "An Earthdawn wizard did it." and 2) "It's a conspiracy." smile.gif

-- Let's answer some of the questions you have though, in a broad and not entirely serious way though:

Christmas Trees: Has there been any extensive references about Christmas in Shadowrun? Aside from the feeling that everyone getting high-tech fake trees seems more in line with the setting, it would sound a bit silly for an elven nation to have Major Exports: Christmas trees and expect to be taken seriously by the reader. You might as well have High Prince K'ris Ker'ingle as the head of state. It's not like there is a shortage of trees elsewhere in the nation either on tree plantations or coming from the NAN's.

Religion: I suspect that most Tir citizens follow some wierd hodgepodge of artificial "ancient customs" based on old Earthdawn elven rites, "new age" mysticism, revived Salish cultural elements (newly created and ancient, from the numerous distinct tribal elements), and their original religions. I got the feeling that most of the customs used in the Tir were more about building national identity and acquiring a patina of ancient respectibility than honestly trying to reform or replace religion - indeed, the Immortal Elves seem to have intentionally suppressed some "real" ancient religions like the Passions. I never got a straight answer on what the heck was going on with those either, which is too bad as questors would be a really cool addition.

Hazelnuts, Boysenberries, and Huckleberries: I suspect many of the readers don't even know what a huckleberry is (look it up on Wiki) but all are available from other, much more open markets - notably the Salish Shidhe (where I live and am from). Modern-day Turkey produces 75% of the world hazelnut production so presumably that area is still a major source. That or hazelnuts have risen in price in North American markts along with anything that isn't made from vat-grown meat and algae.

Excess electricity: Salish sells most of the electricity that Seattle uses (there appears to be some distributed power capability with the crazy effective solar cells and so on). No way would Tir sell power to the CFS and expect it to remain unmolested by the northern militias. Even if they were selling power to Redmond for example, it would only be so that they could cut it off at any time as a lever against their enemies in the conflict zone.

Timber: Not a big seller. Again, the Salish Shidhe and Athabaskan Council have FAR larger sources. However, the Tir does have much better port access unless they can bring timber out of Seattle. I never quite figured out how they got all that timber out of Tsimshian or exactly who was buying it, so I doubt anyone has seriously given much thought to how Shadowrun commodities move around.

That's just some musings on the subject, keep in mind that currently Tir Tairngire is still in a decade-long "imminent recovery" from a much worse starting point than our own real world "imminent recovery."
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Dec 21 2010, 08:19 AM) *
No, it's a reminder of centuries of brutal forced labor on the north pole...

Which inevitably will lead to this kind of violence

Killer elves
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012