Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deckers and the Pools
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Firewall
I like to play a decker. Somehow, it is just 'me'. Trouble is, the Hacking Pool - all so important when you need to 'improvise' or just get the hell out - seems smaller than the others.

Astral Combat: 3 stats divided by 2
Combat: 3 stats divided by 2
Control: 2 stats added together

Magic: 3 stats divided by 3 (closer but still not quite as bad)

Hacking: 2 stats, divided by 3

Okay, I appreciate why we do not still get MCPC + Reaction (though still wish we did...) but what do get to improve it? Yes chummers, this rant has a question at the end. How do YOU deal with it?
Nikoli
Math co-processor and Math SPU, both add directly to hacking pool IIRC
Austere Emancipator
Never played a decker in my life, or built a decker char, or even read the rules well, but Encephalon-2 + Math SPU-3 gives you +5 Hacking Pool, which isn't too shabby for 126,000 nuyen and 1.7 Essence.
Nikoli
No other pool is that cheap to raise.
Grey
Math co-processor and Math SPU, both add directly to hacking pool IIRC

I think you mean Encephalon and Math SPU.

That can give you up to a +5 to your Hacking Pool.
Nikoli
Heh, sorry 'bout that, dang RL encroaching on game jargon
Grey
wink.gif
Firewall
Ah...

I only have core rules (though one each of the three editions) and even then only first ed. has not been borrowed by a friend. Well, I think I see where I went wrong...
Kagetenshi
Even then, the fact is that for most purposes outside combat the decker can add their pool to EVERY ACTION THEY TAKE. That means that small pools are somewhat needed for balance.

~J
mfb
the best use for your pool, most times, is to raise your DF. if your DF is high enough, you won't need to worry about how much to allocate during cybercombat!
Kagetenshi
That's also true. Decking pool is a lot more useful than most other pools...

~J
Grey
Hacking Pool can be used to up for Detection Factor? Wow, I missed that one. What is the rule for this?
Nikoli
Optional rule, Matrix p. 26 2nd colum 2nd paragraph. 2 HP dice per 1 DF increase
mfb
maximum increase is 3 DF (6 hp). i rarely go anywhere without allocating at least 4 hp to DF, and usually 6.
Shockwave_IIc
Suprised you havent Grey, right next to Hacking pool to supress IC.

The White Dwarf
Well Encephlon may be a bit much to presume people will have it. Math SPU, on the other hand, is totally in line as a decker-will-have-it assumption.

So to use the original format, as 2 stats divided by 3... the 3 Hacking Pool from the Math SPU would be like factoring in a 3rd stat of 9. For what, 11 grand and .2 essence? Hella cheap.

Even by combat pool standards, adding 3 combat pool is like adding 6 attribute points. Or spending 3 adept points (half your allowance) on an adept power.

On the surface hacking pool may seem to get the shaft, but if you look at what else is out there to boost pools and compare it really doesnt. Plus, while some may say its more useful, it also tends to 'refresh' more as well; since many matrix based operations wont neccessarily be in depth, like tapping a phone call, etc.
Arz
My opinion is that both the control and hacking pool are highly affected by the technology that the player can afford. My experience has been that most players recieve more money than karma and so tech is an easier way to improve a character. Add in the fact that most GMs give some cyber and equpiment away as rewards (I was once gifted with a MPCM 12 deck) and these pools can go through the roof in no time flat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012