Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SAMAS armor the SR version
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pollux710
should samas like armor from rifts even be considered in a game, im thinking hyper prototype.
Neraph
With Heavy Milspec Armor already made there shouldn't be much else left. With the proper augmentations that armor is basically what you plan on having.
Karoline
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 18 2010, 11:23 AM) *
With Heavy Milspec Armor already made there shouldn't be much else left. With the proper augmentations that armor is basically what you plan on having.

The 'turn into a ball' part may be a bit lacking, but otherwise yeah, seems to be not that different from heavy milspec (Based on what I know, don't know anything about rifts specifically)
Ed_209a
Different Samas, not the one from Metroid.

Picture heavy security armor with 3m collapsible wings, two turbines on the back, and a HMG.

In flight, it has at least the speed/maneuverability of a chopper.

I would link to an image of a SAMAS power armor, but Palladium can be touchy about that kind of thing. Google Image Search will show you all you need though.

Really, the only thing pushing the envelope with SAMAS in SR4 is the thrust/weight ratio of it's engines. Maybe you can have air spirits helping out with their Movement power?
Cheops
In SR4 you can convert your Westwind into Jazz from Transformers. I see no reason why you can't have a SAMAS if my previous statement is allowed.
capt.pantsless
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Nov 18 2010, 01:47 PM) *
Really, the only thing pushing the envelope with SAMAS in SR4 is the thrust/weight ratio of it's engines. Maybe you can have air spirits helping out with their Movement power?

That and the fact that SAMAS armour is Mega-Damage. I.e. it would take several hundred tank-cannon shots to bring it down - and that the weapon it carries is a ultra-rapid-fire railgun doing the equivalent of several dozen cannon shots per second.

That said, the basic idea of a flying suit of armor and carrying a big gun is certainly possible in SR4, if you allow it to be an advanced milspec prototype costing 20 million or so.
Cheops
Did Arsenal introduce any vector-thrust personal mobility devices? If such take one of those and slap on the Walker modification and you should be good to go!
Karoline
QUOTE (Cheops @ Nov 18 2010, 05:27 PM) *
Did Arsenal introduce any vector-thrust personal mobility devices? If such take one of those and slap on the Walker modification and you should be good to go!

I think one of the gliders had a bit of self propelling on it, but that is as close as it gets I think.
Christian Lafay
I always wondered how many "hover feet" it would take on your body to work. Supposedly two can keep you from touching the ground. What happens if I have them on my knees, shoulders, pecs, and abs?
PresentPresence
You are slowly imploded, maybe? This reminds me of this suit only more future-y.
Christian Lafay
Yeah, pretty much. Just with out the weird gloves and higher off the ground.
sunnyside
You've already got vectored thrust drones, and wings would only help. I think one could make it work, though the range would be low I'd think.

But more importantly you don't have the whole mega-damage thing going on, I'd probably allow shots at the "drone" part, it's going to be hard to use cover with one of those, and you've got armor ignoring magic in play. The whole point being that even with mil-spec armor on you['re at an all too high chance of getting shot down.

Anyway I don't think it'd mess with game balance if you're essentially slapping a varient of some drone onto the back of existing armor with an existing weapon. So I'd let the players have their fun. I don't think I'd even go the super expensive military thing, maybe more your teams crazy rigger finally getting to use some of the his skills at slapping contraptions together.

Maybe on the first mission they have it let them have some fun. i.e. make it a mission where such a thing would be highly useful. And than after that you could just have regular jobs where like as not it either won't get used (at which point they'll still be happy knowing they've got it in the closet) or they'll use it and eventually, well, shadowrun will take its course when the drone part gets wasted by a Lone Star autogyro and you get to have fun with the hapless player crashing throug ha clothing store or something.
Neraph
QUOTE (Karoline @ Nov 18 2010, 05:00 PM) *
I think one of the gliders had a bit of self propelling on it, but that is as close as it gets I think.

Lockheed Sparrow is the one he wants.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 18 2010, 10:42 PM) *

Pretty much this. A sparrow carrying a dude in milspec armor, refluffed to look different is basically what you want.

..... then there's the low-cost alternative, involving a Lighter Than Air Transys Steed(being a small drone that can carry someone) with a Rocket Booster mod, you know, just using the stats to represent a jetpack or something.
Dahrken
Lighter than air is not really an option here. To filt an armored human you would need a gas bag the size of a semi-trailer...
Neraph
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Nov 19 2010, 06:06 AM) *
Lighter than air is not really an option here. To filt an armored human you would need a gas bag the size of a semi-trailer...

QUOTE (Udoshi Posted Today, 12:09 AM )
...you know, just using the stats to represent a jetpack or something.

Make sure you read people's posts before you jump on logic like that. I'd agree with using a Lockheed Sparrow with a few mods to make it look like basically a Boba Fett jetpack or something. I mean, we have the thing now (can't find a pic of it atm though), so in 60 years I think they could reduce the size.
Mr. Mage
Oh god...Rifts... "The coalition is coming! The coalition is coming!"

I'm just curious as to why you are interested in implementing something like the SAMAS armor... It may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I probably missed it. It seems to me that if you used SAMAS, you would probably unbalance the game, at least if it is supposed to be like the SAMAS from Rifts... Of course, who know, maybe everyone will have one.

Anyways, I was going to suggest looking at a topic I started last year about somehow adding Mech ( as in Mechwarrior, not anime Mecha) into the game somehow. It never really went anywhere in my game, but I remember people giving some pretty constructive replies. http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...149&hl=mech

actually, after looking at it, it seems to pretty much say what everyone here has already said
Dahrken
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 19 2010, 06:53 PM) *
Make sure you read people's posts before you jump on logic like that. I'd agree with using a Lockheed Sparrow with a few mods to make it look like basically a Boba Fett jetpack or something. I mean, we have the thing now (can't find a pic of it atm though), so in 60 years I think they could reduce the size.

The original post said "...involving a Lighter Than Air Transys Steed...". My observation was targeted at the LTA part of the statement (since the Steed is aground vehicule and in no way "Lighter than Air") - which would be an utterly impractical mod for that specific purpose - rather than the rocket motor / jetpack part.

Autonomy would remain a problem, as well as exhaust gases temperature.
crash2029
Awhile back I did some powered armor stuff for another thread. I did a modded heavy milspec armor, a flying armor, and a mech.

You know that if you allow SAMAS armor then someone is gonna want a Glitter Boy suit. Although thinking about it I guess you could mod the hell out of a Thunderstruck rifle to make the Boom Gun. I only have one question, can I play a Crazy?
Pollux710
Thats another thing i keep looking at, making crazies and juicers in SR just because I like the concept, though, with that being said, i should probably just sit back and let the hating begin.
Raiki
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 19 2010, 02:42 AM) *

In a game I ran in, the Dronomancer had a highly modified Sparrow. He tricked it out with armor 8 (max for its body), personal armor 10, a flexible weapon mount (complete with White Knight), and a nitrous injector. Because it was overmodified, the GM dropped its running speed from 40 to 30, but he had the nitrous for when it was time to GTFOoD. It worked fairly well for him, he had a machine sprite fly it around while he jumped into various drones. It kept him in the action, while keeping his unconcious body safe from harm.

~R~
SpellBinder
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Nov 19 2010, 03:30 PM) *
Awhile back I did some powered armor stuff for another thread. I did a modded heavy milspec armor, a flying armor, and a mech.

You know that if you allow SAMAS armor then someone is gonna want a Glitter Boy suit. Although thinking about it I guess you could mod the hell out of a Thunderstruck rifle to make the Boom Gun. I only have one question, can I play a Crazy?

You'd be better off trying to mod a Thunderstruck to take a 250 round belt feed to be hand held for a SR4 modded PA-06A (the SAMAS in question). A S-K Taurus Light Gauss Cannon would be a better base for a Boom Gun, I think (don't forget the modification for flichette ammo to the Damage/AP).
capt.pantsless
QUOTE (Pollux710 @ Nov 19 2010, 04:45 PM) *
Thats another thing i keep looking at, making crazies and juicers in SR just because I like the concept, though, with that being said, i should probably just sit back and let the hating begin.

Not to derail this thread further, but Juicers are not far off from the SR rules: There's auto-injectors in SR, nanites, and high-end computers. With a little bit of GM hand-waving, you could certainly work-up a Juicer cyberware suite that would be comparable to wired-reflexes but without as much essence-cost, the downside being you'd automatically get an addiction to a whole host of drugs.
Udoshi
QUOTE (capt.pantsless @ Nov 20 2010, 06:23 AM) *
Not to derail this thread further, but Juicers are not far off from the SR rules: There's auto-injectors in SR, nanites, and high-end computers. With a little bit of GM hand-waving, you could certainly work-up a Juicer cyberware suite that would be comparable to wired-reflexes but without as much essence-cost, the downside being you'd automatically get an addiction to a whole host of drugs.

Its also incredibly cheap and essence friendly to do so, using second hand bioware chemical glands and combat drugs.
Method
Heh. Mega Damage. Sometime I forget how silly Rifts was... biggrin.gif
Laodicea
I'm pretty sure you could do something like this either with Heavy military armor mods, or with a walker drone & mods. I'm really not sure which would be optimal. I haven't statted either one out. Anyone here done the homework for us?
crash2029
QUOTE (Laodicea @ Nov 20 2010, 01:43 PM) *
I'm pretty sure you could do something like this either with Heavy military armor mods, or with a walker drone & mods. I'm really not sure which would be optimal. I haven't statted either one out. Anyone here done the homework for us?

Should I re-post my builds?
Laodicea
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Nov 20 2010, 03:30 PM) *
Should I re-post my builds?

Yes, please!
Pollux710
A build would be great, it would give me something as a point of reference. So please feel free!
crash2029
QUOTE (me @ Jun 26 2010, 07:03 PM) *
Mako Bulwark Battlesuit
The Bulwark battlesuit is Mako's first entry into the field of military-grade powered assist armor. It incorporates all of the latest toys from the boys at Mako labs. This suit of armor will survive longer than the wearer, it is so durable. And with our patent-pending Firelink smartlink software integrated this suit can dish it as well as it can take it. Mako-when the going gets tough, the tough get Mako!

Game Rules
Heavy Military Armor w/helmet-30000 nuyen.gif
mobility upgrade 3 +7500 nuyen.gif
strength upgrade 3 +4500 nuyen.gif
articulated weapon arm +3000 nuyen.gif
foot anchor +3000 nuyen.gif

B/I 18/16 | Capacity 17/20 | Avail you wish | Price 48000 nuyen.gif

-

Mako Dutchman Flight Suit
The Dutchman Flight Suit is an innovation in the field of mobile infantry deployment. This is a suit of armor that can grant your infantry the mobility to truly compete in today's battlefield. Our proprietary Updraft turbofan technology allows a man portable unit that can outfly even some autogyros! When your soldiers have this at their disposal they will always have the high ground. Mako- above the rest!

Game Rules
Lockheed Sparrow-body 4, armor 2, 19500 nuyen.gif
armor 8pts, 1 slot, +1600
personal armor 10pts, 2 slots, +5000
2 mechanical arms, 4 slots, +8000, +8000 (overmod)

Handling +1 | Accel 15/40 | Speed 90 | Pilot 3 | Armor 8 | Sensor 1 | Avail 16R | Price 42100 nuyen.gif

-

Mako Behemoth Mecha
It's a Mako Mecha, need we say more?

Game Rules
hyundai shin-hyung-slots 14, body 10, armor 5, 17000 nuyen.gif
walker mode, 2 slots, +5000
basic rigger cocoon, 1 slot, +1500
armor 20pts, 1 slot, +4000
2 mechanical arms, 4 slots, +8000
weapon mount (reinforced, flexible, remote), 3 slots, +6500

Handling +3 | Accel 10/22 | Speed 80 | Pilot 1, Body 10 | Armor 20 | Avail 24F | Price 42000

This is the second time I have re-posted this stuff. Thus the asking if it is wanted. I just hope it dosen't kill the thread like the other two times.
Pollux710
Nah man this is great thank you, I'll take a look at arsenal and provide a build for critique here in a day or two when I get some time, good builds though.
PresentPresence
QUOTE (crash2029 @ Nov 21 2010, 01:50 AM) *
Availability: You wish
heh

Really, though, can't you just combine a good set of armor (Evo HEL + FFBA + SecureTech line comes to mind) with a Sparrow and be on your merry way? It's not the same, but it still gets the job done.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (PresentPresence @ Nov 21 2010, 10:08 AM) *
heh

Really, though, can't you just combine a good set of armor (Evo HEL + FFBA + SecureTech line comes to mind) with a Sparrow and be on your merry way? It's not the same, but it still gets the job done.

You could, but the combination of EVO HEL suit, PPP and FFBA lacks a certain flair for Cool... of course, your mileage may vary on that... I mean honestly, the HEL suit looks quite dorky... smokin.gif
PresentPresence
You're thinking of the Spacesuit, and I think that most of the Arsenal armor art is kinda dorky anyway...
The HEL suit is basically another layer of FFBA with Chemical Protection.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (PresentPresence @ Nov 21 2010, 11:06 AM) *
You're thinking of the Spacesuit, and I think that most of the Arsenal armor art is kinda dorky anyway...
The HEL suit is basically another layer of FFBA with Chemical Protection.

The HEL suit IS a space suit (even if minimally)... it is the Hostile Environment Living (HEL) suit used by astronauts, and has cold insulation, fire insulation and chemical insulation... Arguably more than "Just another layer of FFBA" wobble.gif
Yeah, some of the art could have been better.
PresentPresence
I just meant that it was "thin and tight fitting."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012