Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New AI Lifestyle - Orbital
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Jopp
Right, build your AI and make sure to have cash.

Take a large drone, use the similar models rule and give it BODY 5 and lower something like speed.

Add modifications
Satellite link
Limited Maneuverability (well, you needed a rocket to get you there)
Satellite link (duh)
Sun Cell (for power)
Armor 15 (against kinetic impact)
Extreme enviroments (Space)
Armor Mod - Thermal Shielding R6
Armor Mod - Radiation Shielding

Also, take smaller satellites with satellite link and Retrans unit. Make sure you have enoguh so that you easily can bounce your signal around the world.

Suggestions:
Fake License: Weather Forecaster

There is still space for more mods on the drone and if possible, get a vehicle laser on a weapon mount if you can, orbital strike might be fun.
klinktastic
Could you fit a drone rack on there? Or maybe a workspace? That way you could make some stuff up there.
Karoline
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Nov 18 2010, 06:30 PM) *
Could you fit a drone rack on there? Or maybe a workspace? That way you could make some stuff up there.

Hard to work with stuff in a vacuum in 0G.

I'm curious as to how you plan to get your monthly maintenance in outer space.
klinktastic
Since you are an AI, you don't care about G's, you could theoretically put your satelitte into a spin, generating centrifigual force, which should generate gravity. If you had a small drone with hands, you could perform the maintenance yourself.
Christian Lafay
It's all good except for the upkeep that Karoline pointed out. Maybe get a cluster of them an hop every month till you can schedule a yearly repair?
PresentPresence
You could bring two types of drones without Limited Maneuverability: scavengers and technicians. Have the scavengers scavenge space debris and give the technicians autosofts to work on your drone. You can probably find updates for your system on the Matrix, right? Still charge yourself, sure, cause otherwise you'd be a munchkin. nyahnyah.gif
Christian Lafay
You know, this thread makes me think about all the junk that is up there now and AI's becoming squatters.
Karoline
Unfortunately you once again have the maintenance issues. I've always thought the maintenance thing was kind of weird, but there you have it.
PresentPresence
Well that's why you still pay for it, but at least you can RP it. I mean, with enough fluff, I'm sure a GM would allow you to give yourself a little crunch. At the right price, of course. wink.gif
Straight Razor
just rent server space on a commercial satellite. if you really want to get custom hardware up there. you can get you box added to a satellite that is scheduled to go up.
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2010/07/8...ellite_kit.html
Yerameyahu
Putting a Body 5 vehicle into space is ungodly expensive, even if you GM allows that (Body 5) or that (space). smile.gif

Space is where AIs belong, though… until the GM kills you. biggrin.gif
Karoline
I just kind of realized that one of the biggest problems with this concept, is the fact that he first time you fire that laser, you're going to get all kinds of trouble coming your way. And what with lasers being strait lines of light you'll be darn easy to find.
Yerameyahu
Oh, I didn't even mention that: there's no way you have a *space* laser. Maybe you could shoot at other satellite. Certainly not to the ground.
Makki
Unfortunately, the geostationary
orbit is quite far away from earth (36,000 km), so data requests
can be delayed by as much as a second. This second heavily affects
and delays all Matrix interactions. The Response of a hacker using
a geostationary satellite is thus halved (to a minimum of 1).

as an inherent, somewhat mental attribut, no AI would want that. low-earth orbit is fine, but what an effort...

Extreme enviroments (Space)
Armor Mod - Thermal Shielding R6
Armor Mod - Radiation Shielding
2nd and 3rd should be integrated into 1st, just without armor values, but enough to withstand.

satellites don't need maintenance. maybe every 30 years. the AI does.

I really don't see a DarkEye6 SC
Lansdren
Not meaning to be picky but the systems in the satellite is what will need maintenance as its the physical systems that the AI inhabits which need to be worked on. Just having a AI in residence can burn out systems over time.

Maybe some form of Nano maintenance system and a once or twice a year cost for docking a refill of resources.
The Jopp
Well, scheduled maintenance is done through your friendly (rating 5-6) space agency contact and a few fake ID's and licenses to back up your lifestyle.
The Jopp
QUOTE (Makki @ Nov 19 2010, 09:40 AM) *

as an inherent, somewhat mental attribut, no AI would want that. low-earth orbit is fine, but what an effort...

Good point.

An alternative would be the GTS TOWER as a high altitude zeppelin with satellite link and signature masking and suncell.
Karoline
QUOTE (Makki @ Nov 19 2010, 03:40 AM) *

Remember though that AIs work very oddly. They don't have a delay, ever, because they actually... umm... not quite physically, but I think you know what I mean if I use the word, move into the system they are accessing. This means that the location of their home node is irrelevant because their current location during a hack or anything else would be whereever they are hacking.
Oh, I didn't even mention that: there's no way you have a *space* laser. Maybe you could shoot at other satellite. Certainly not to the ground.
True. I thought someone had quoted the range at 200 thousand kilometers before, but it is only 200 kilometers. Low earth orbit can be as low as 200km, but then you run the serious risk of being over the wrong country during a run.
Dahrken
200 km range in a vacuum is a thing, 200 km rane through atmosphere, clouds and the like is a completely different matter... Also if firing from LEO you have a tremendous relative speed in relation to a ground-based target. For a Thor shots a few meters of deviation is much less of a problem than for a laser...
The Jopp
Which means that the AI is better off hacking a THOR shot platform... grinbig.gif
The Jopp
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Nov 19 2010, 12:30 AM) *

Use the GTS Tower as a base - with limited maneuverability it has a mod slot value of 8.

It will have space for 10-20 mini or micro drones.

Give the drones Gecko Tips so they can walk around or give them rail propulsion to zip around on the hull from the hangar.

Add a drone workshop to act as a hangar.
Straight Razor
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Nov 19 2010, 06:25 AM) *
Good point.

An alternative would be the GTS TOWER as a high altitude zeppelin with satellite link and signature masking and suncell.

O god, dot get me started on how; unreliable, high maintenance, fragile, cumbersome, and expensive LTA airships are.
I built those things IRL for several years. Ill give any player an one ton payload airship as an 8pt flaw. enjoy that 25k a mo maintenance.
Makki
well I actually know what you're talking about. But in SR4 they aren't anymore wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012