Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Adept Power: Bag of Holding
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Stormdrake
Ok, yes I relies the topic title sucks but you get the idea. I am trying to write up an adept power that allows the adept to place items else where. The idea being the item or items would be completely undetectable and unreacheable through mundane methods. The items are with the adept, stashed in his or hers aura and completely detectable by astral sight unless concealed using aura masking. I am thinking something like a pound per .25 of a power point. That may need to be adjusted up or down as I don't have my books with me to judge the weight of common weapons.

Has anyone done something like this before?
Stahlseele
Max out everything that helps with the palming skill, should net the same results i guess O.o
Yerameyahu
Breaks everything we know about SR magic.
Critias
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 24 2010, 06:56 PM) *

Exactly.

I'd rather see someone go the Stealth/Palming route, sinking points into that and calling it a day, than to see an Adept power that (a) doesn't jive very well with the traditional Adept internalization route and (b) smashes through one of the few real rules of Shadowrun magic like the Kool-Aid man ramming through a kitchen wall.

Let a guy with a ton of Palming seem to somehow magically hide stuff on his body, use Masking to conceal it if it's a Focus, etc, etc...but having a weird dimensional pocket aura just goes beyond the pale.
jaellot
I could see a sustainable spell that shrinks an object down in size, but doesn' affect the weight, so things would be that much harder to find. And then when it's time to rock n' roll, drop the spell.

Or if you had a sustaining focus (shaped as a bad no less) that as the objects are being place inside they shrink, and when removed, voila, full grown and ready to go.

I also am mentioning this without books in front of me, but sounds more plausible than a mystic aura pocket.

Now for adepts I could see a power that lets you move an object on your person without touching it. Call it "Shell Game" just to give it a name. Could even go with some description along the lines of making your personal mass be more gravitional towards those objects so they stick, and then manipulate the molecules around others (like your pockets or coat) so that the knive in your boot could travel up under your pants, down your sleeve, so you can shiv the SOB in front of you. Or if the fuzz is doing a pat down you can move an object up to an already searched area, or vice versa.

Might work best as a combo. A primary power that makes the objects cling to you, and then the secondary that does the moving. For the clingy power I could see .5 or 1 depending on the object. For the movement I could see a scale, depending on how fast you wanted the object moved. Since it's not initiative really I would go for less than the Imp. Reflexes and such.
Draco18s
QUOTE (jaellot @ Nov 24 2010, 08:18 PM) *
I could see a sustainable spell that shrinks an object down in size

My GM wouldn't even allow THAT much when I tried something like this.
Karoline
Jaellot seems to have a good idea going. Of course getting improved ability palming seems like it would do about the same thing without having to invent a new power.
jaellot
True, it would.

Although I now have this concept for an NPC who has the combo of things I mentioned, and that's his thing, running the shell game. Just move the ball up into the sleeve, then put it under another cup if the conned demand to see where it's at, thinking (correctly) the game is rigged. Hmm...
Tyro
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Nov 24 2010, 03:17 PM) *
Ok, yes I relies the topic title sucks but you get the idea. I am trying to write up an adept power that allows the adept to place items else where. The idea being the item or items would be completely undetectable and unreacheable through mundane methods. The items are with the adept, stashed in his or hers aura and completely detectable by astral sight unless concealed using aura masking. I am thinking something like a pound per .25 of a power point. That may need to be adjusted up or down as I don't have my books with me to judge the weight of common weapons.

Has anyone done something like this before?

The term you're looking for is Hammerspace.

[Edit:] Post 1,111!
jaellot
So maybe we should be thinking along the lines of an Astral Quest to a metaplane? Road Trip!
Tanegar
Not to be confused with Hammertime.

Also, Tyro, you forgot the Public Service Warning: TVTropes Will Ruin Your Life.
Tyro
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Nov 24 2010, 07:10 PM) *
Not to be confused with Hammertime.

Also, Tyro, you forgot the Public Service Warning: TVTropes Will Ruin Your Life.

The PSA just doesn't work. Considering the kinds of people we get on these forums, folks who see a tvtropes link will most likely either already know the danger or be too curious to be warned off.
toturi
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 25 2010, 07:56 AM) *

Not precisely, unless we get some clarification on certain mentions in the books.

Off hand and AFB, I am unsure if Ghostwalker coming through the rift was just his astral form or he actually came through the rift. Astral Gateway is another, most people assume that the character's astral form goes to the metaplanes, but the way it is written the character could go to the metaplanes.
Karoline
QUOTE (Tyro @ Nov 24 2010, 10:58 PM) *
The PSA just doesn't work. Considering the kinds of people we get on these forums, folks who see a tvtropes link will most likely either already know the danger or be too curious to be warned off.

No it's cool. It isn't like I was about to go to bed or anything.
Dahrken
QUOTE (toturi @ Nov 25 2010, 05:24 AM) *
Off hand and AFB, I am unsure if Ghostwalker coming through the rift was just his astral form or he actually came through the rift. Astral Gateway is another, most people assume that the character's astral form goes to the metaplanes, but the way it is written the character could go to the metaplanes.

Since he's described as "having picked his body somewhere on the way" between the Rift and Denver, I would say he was astral.
Mäx
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Nov 25 2010, 08:18 AM) *
Since he's described as "having picked his body somewhere on the way" between the Rift and Denver, I would say he was astral.

Yeah, Ghostwalker was definitely just an astral form when he came out of the rift.
toturi
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Nov 25 2010, 02:18 PM) *

Could I have a page reference for that?
Karoline
SR4 p32 under Ghostwalker
Dahrken
Or SR4 p 33, bottom of the first column.
Makki
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 25 2010, 01:24 AM) *
Max out everything that helps with the palming skill, should net the same results i guess O.o

yeah. That power already exists. Improved Ability (Palming)
hide against onlookers: Perception+Intuition + concealability modifer vs Palming + Agility
hide against search: Agility+Int+modifier/2 (probably for negative modifiers only)

LS Squad Member throws Perception 2 + Int 4 + Aussault Rifle 6 -Lined Coat 2=10 dice or
Agi 4 + Int 4 +6-1 = 13 dice
Magic Fingers Adept: Palming 9 + Nimble Fingers 1 + Agi 9 =19 dice

so if you can hide your AK under your coat, with noone ever notice, that's MAGIC!
Brainpiercing7.62mm
QUOTE (Makki @ Nov 25 2010, 08:16 AM) *
yeah. That power already exists. Improved Ability (Palming)
hide against onlookers: Perception+Intuition + concealability modifer vs Palming + Agility
hide against search: Agility+Int+modifier/2 (probably for negative modifiers only)

LS Squad Member throws Perception 2 + Int 4 + Aussault Rifle 6 -Lined Coat 2=10 dice or
Agi 4 + Int 4 +6-1 = 13 dice
Magic Fingers Adept: Palming 9 + Nimble Fingers 1 + Agi 9 =19 dice

so if you can hide your AK under your coat, with noone ever notice, that's MAGIC!

Oh, you're only really good if you can do that against a strip-search, or one of those new TSA "pat-downs" smile.gif.

I'm having some weird images in my head right now, which might be within range of an adept power.... so... must get them back out of my head.
Stahlseele
Hmm, reminds me of Silent Bob somehow . .
Summerstorm
Hm hm... i once found (for 3rd edition) the power "Meld"... it was homebrewed but well done.

It was basically allowing adepts to let equipment meld into their body, it was still THERE, but broken down. So for example: you did melt down a pistol... you would weight more, and the metal MIGHT be picked up by a MAD (but through the diffusion it wasn't likely or might have been read as a glitch.)

I think it was like two power point cost and allowed you to take in body kg equipment or something.

Overall i liked the power and used it for one character of mine. (GM didn't think it was too powerful and allowed it)

Could smuggle stuff into high-security zones... that was nice.
Karoline
Yeah, for two power points it certainly doesn't sound overpowered. I think it's actually a bit underpowered at that price.
Stormdrake
The Adept Power: Meld sounds pretty close to what the individual wants to do. The original reason went with the astral pocket idea is thatany one viewing the astral would see the gear and coukd attack it like any other astral entitiy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012