Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spell Knack (Counterspell?)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mmmkay
Would it make sense to allow for taking spell knack (counterspell) as a quality? It's not necessarily better than learning any given spell and it's marginally cheaper than taking mystic adept and only learning counterspelling, so it seems legit cost wise (although some may say a only counterspelling mystic adept would not be allowable by a legit GM). I'm not sure on this matter. Has anyone ever taken spell/spirit knack? Seems almost useless save for maybe increased initiative.
Thanee
It would only make sense, if you would gain a Magic Rating and would have to have Magic 1+ in order to use it.

Bye
Thanee
mmmkay
QUOTE (Thanee @ Nov 29 2010, 01:07 AM) *
It would only make sense, if you would gain a Magic Rating and would have to have Magic 1+ in order to use it.

Bye
Thanee

Maybe I don't understand what you're saying, but that seems definitional with spell knack.
mmmkay
"Note, however, that Counterspelling and Banishing are also limited by the character’s knack and will not affect other spells or spirits." - SM

So typically if you chose a spell, you would be capable of counterspelling that one spell. I was suggesting that it would be possible to take a spell knack in counterspelling where you are capable of counterspelling (like a normal mage) but would otherwise be incompetent in all other areas of sorcery and conjuring (skill groups).
phlapjack77
It would make sense, I think. The spell / spirit knack stuff seems way...useless...unless it totally fits your character concept. But if that's the concept, I don't see why it's any different than other spell knacks. I initially thought of saying to limit it to one type of spell, but that would seem to really limit something that's already hurting.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mmmkay @ Nov 29 2010, 10:38 AM) *
Would it make sense to allow for taking spell knack (counterspell) as a quality?

No, as pointed out, it doesn't really work that way.

You just have to create a new Quality that just grants Counterspelling and a Magic of 1.
Thanee
QUOTE (mmmkay @ Nov 29 2010, 10:09 AM) *
...that seems definitional with spell knack.

You are right. My bad. embarrassed.gif

Just thought, because Counterspelling is not tied to Magic... but yeah, Spell/Spirit Knack already includes that. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
mmmkay
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Nov 29 2010, 02:22 AM) *
No, as pointed out, it doesn't really work that way.

You just have to create a new Quality that just grants Counterspelling and a Magic of 1.

If you read what I wrote it will become clear to you that A) I agree and B) already said this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012