Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does a Smartgun require any sort of DNI?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aberrant
This is something that has bugged me a bit since SR4 came out. As far as I know, in RAW, you only need 2 things to have a smartgun. A piece of gear (cybereyes, glasses, etc) with a Smartgun Link, and a weapon that has a Smartgun System.

And, really, for most of the functions of a smartgun (rangefinding, aim assist, information) that seems enough. But what about all the other small perks of a smartgun? Ejecting a clip as a free action. Changing of fire mode, or choke as a free action. Shouldn't that require the ability to send a mental signal TO the smartlink? Otherwise, one would have to make some sort of physical gesture in AR, and that couldn't be THAT much faster than ejecting a clip would be manually.

Now, if this complaint is completely invalidated by my having missed a crucial rule all these years, do feel free to mock me.
J. Packer
QUOTE (Aberrant @ Dec 2 2010, 03:45 PM) *
This is something that has bugged me a bit since SR4 came out. As far as I know, in RAW, you only need 2 things to have a smartgun. A piece of gear (cybereyes, glasses, etc) with a Smartgun Link, and a weapon that has a Smartgun System.

And, really, for most of the functions of a smartgun (rangefinding, aim assist, information) that seems enough. But what about all the other small perks of a smartgun? Ejecting a clip as a free action. Changing of fire mode, or choke as a free action. Shouldn't that require the ability to send a mental signal TO the smartlink? Otherwise, one would have to make some sort of physical gesture in AR, and that couldn't be THAT much faster than ejecting a clip would be manually.

Now, if this complaint is completely invalidated by my having missed a crucial rule all these years, do feel free to mock me.

I've always assumed that the "smartgun link" technology in your glasses, eyes or cybereyes was a wireless device with send/receive capabilities, as is the smartgun system, whether integral to the weapon or an after-market add-on. I'm not aware of any requirement for you to even have a commlink to act as a mediator.

I'm not sure what you do to make these things happen - look at a particular AR icon that's projected by the smartgun link into your peripheral vision, and "double-blink" I guess?
Yerameyahu
There's no reason you shouldn't have a DNI (trodes) at all times for all purposes *anyway*.

That said, you're combining separate aspects of the smartgun technology. The smartlink DP bonus is an AR bonus from your eyes/glasses/whatever. The ability to command smart*guns* as a Free action is unrelated, and functions as any device that accepts commands.
Kagetenshi
In previous editions there was implication that the smartgun link (as fully implanted, instead of the half-bonus no-cyber version) was actually at least partly haptic, what with the requirement for a limited simsense rig and all.

~J
Aberrant
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Dec 2 2010, 10:59 PM) *
There's no reason you shouldn't have a DNI (trodes) at all times for all purposes *anyway*.

That said, you're combining separate aspects of the smartgun technology. The smartlink DP bonus is an AR bonus from your eyes/glasses/whatever. The ability to command smart*guns* as a Free action is unrelated, and functions as any device that accepts commands.

I'm sure Trodes are uncomfortable at least, and that's a seperate point, that you don't, afaik, NEED a DNI.

I don't know if I want to nerf smartguns in my game world, but they are sort of too awesome to NOT have, really.

Even for the cash-strapped ganger, you can get

Rating 2 Glasses 50 nuyen.gif
+Image Link 25 nuyen.gif
+Smart Link 500 nuyen.gif

Ares Predator IV 350 nuyen.gif
+20 EX-Explosive 200 nuyen.gif

So that's an entire smart weapon system, with good ammo, and 5 rounds to spare, for just over a grand (1125 nuyen.gif)
Yerameyahu
Nope, they're not uncomfortable. smile.gif

Yes, this is one of those awesome and cheap must-haves in SR. It's not *that* bad, though: laser sights are nearly as much DP, and the other functions are convenient at best. It's no Emoti-toy.
Sengir
P. 338, BBB
In addition to wireless functionality, most cyberware devices are equipped with a direct neural interface (DNI) that allows the user to mentally activate and control their functions.

That's how an implanted smartlink does its job. Glasses are obviously not wired to your CNS, so no luck.
But the gun still is a device in your PAN, and with a sim module + some sort of DNI (trodes, datajack, impanting the module) you can still control PAN devices without moving a finger.
Yerameyahu
Or verbally, or whatever. Regardless of the method, it's a free action, because the gun is wired to do it electronically. Obviously, you should have trodes, but you could theoretically control your smartgun many ways.
Aberrant
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Dec 2 2010, 11:42 PM) *
Nope, they're not uncomfortable. smile.gif

Yes, this is one of those awesome and cheap must-haves in SR. It's not *that* bad, though: laser sights are nearly as much DP, and the other functions are convenient at best. It's no Emoti-toy.

I dunno, I've had EEGs, and those things aren't the most comfortable. Granted, I know a trode net is much more advanced, but I can still see it being a bit of a bummer.

I think I will require a DNI connection, since, as stated, those ARE rediculously easy to get in 2072.
Yerameyahu
I kinda liked the old (SR3) way: 'real' implant-based Smartlink gave the full bonus, and 'lame' smartgoggles gave a partial bonus. But it's part of the SR4 trend toward open access and level playing field (and letting mages do everything). wink.gif
rofltehcat
I think there just isn't a real answer to the whole thing with the 'thoughts to electronic signals', trodes, skinlink etc.
It just works. Have it use a hidden wireless connection to your comlink or whatever.

However, I was always wondering about those functions of smartlinked weapons, too. Ejecting clips, changing fire modes etc. should imo just be possible with weapons that come smartlinked or are modified heavily (internal smartlink etc). I can't see how external smartlink systems could offer those features, as external smart link isn't much different than just putting a scope or a laser pointer on it, even takes the same slot if I'm not mistaken.
Zyerne
Doesn't everyone skinlink their guns anyway?
Karoline
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Dec 2 2010, 05:53 PM) *
I'm not sure what you do to make these things happen - look at a particular AR icon that's projected by the smartgun link into your peripheral vision, and "double-blink" I guess?

I believe this is more or less how it works. You look at a particular icon and blink and the clip is ejected. You look at another one and blink twice and the gun fires without you having to pull the trigger.

Heck, you may not even need to blink, the right glance might do it. Of course, this indicates that a level of training to be able to use smartlinks, but it wouldn't be too harsh. And that is what glitches are for. Glitch? Oh, you glanced at the 'eject' icon and your clip ejected itself.
Fauxknight
QUOTE (Zyerne @ Dec 3 2010, 08:25 AM) *
Doesn't everyone skinlink their guns anyway?

Or fiber optic cable to a datajack.

While its not RAW I always assume unless the GM says different that some functions of the smartlink are limited to how you have it connected, similar to 3E. IMHO DNI + Internal smartgun system provides full benefits, where as goggle + external smartgun system is just a fancy set of optics good for the +2 dicepool.

I'm also not in favor of how the pricing works in the internal smartgun system. If dirt cheap guns come with dirt cheap systems, then they really should be less functional systems. I'd rather have fixed pricing on the internal systems, and if there had to be variable costs it would be by weapon type not weapon price.
Yerameyahu
Aside: definitely skinlink. Cables are lame, and 'datajacks' (now a misnomer) already support wireless and skinlink (for 50¥).
Fauxknight
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Dec 3 2010, 10:31 AM) *
Aside: definitely skinlink. Cables are lame, and 'datajacks' (now a misnomer) already support wireless and skinlink (for 50¥).

While it doesn't make any rules difference, when milliseconds matter, cables theoretically have faster data transmission rates than the other two options...at least they do with current technology.
Yerameyahu
You could maybe make a house rule? *shrug* You're right, it makes no difference in the actual rules. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012