Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting request: Making a golem/homonculus pc
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
NepheleKatan
Hey gang, I'm Donni. Been a few years since I've hit a forum, so this is pretty nostalgic for me. smile.gif

So I play a derelict Elven shaman (knowing blood magic) and I've had a request from one of my party members to convert his character into a doll. He didn't really have a back-story for the character, and is trying to start some intrigue, so it's definitely a good start having him be a freak; even a pariah. He didn't quite have it thought out what his new vessel would be composed of, but came to me because he didn't want there to be anything technological about this shell. The GM liked the idea of working with me on this project, be that there are realistic restrictions, and we factor in that I'm not allowed to give him any ideas as far as offensive benefits.

I already had jumped first to bone as far as material to use on this, but would waiver if I found something more suitable for the durability he has in mind.

Now's the part where I do need some interweb assistance, however. Does anyone have some point of baring for how to build out this character's stats (old character sheet's obviously going out the window on this,) or ideas on benefits/weaknesses to associate?

Thanks much, and I'm glad to finally stop just being a lurker here. biggrin.gif
sabs
Would he not basically be playing a possession Free Spirit PC? With a Prepared vessel? perhaps make a disadvantage of : This Vessel. He can only possess a specifically prepared vessel (ie the golem)

Apathy
Sounds to me like an Inhabitation Free Spirit PC.
NepheleKatan
That would basically be the gist of it... Thanks. xD

Trying my best to avoid him being too suped up on this. I'll do some research on Inhabitation Free Spirit PC's.

Anyone have a resource for a novice building one?
Sephiroth
Runner's Companion has FSPC rules, but the thing is, Inhabitation Free Spirit PC's are not allowed under RAW, because that would require the character to be from the Insect Shaman tradition or something similar. sabs' suggestion fits better with RAW; if he really wants to be an Inhabitation PC, the GM is going to have to houserule some things.

Also welcome to Dumpshock. smile.gif
NepheleKatan
Thanks.

GM has already given permission for me to do this however I need to, obviously with her tweaks once I have it done.

Have you ever run/built this type of character, Sephiroth?
pbangarth
You could play by RAW by having the Free Spirit PC be a Possession tradition spirit, but with a Geas (Street Magic, page 27.) at chargen which forces it to use only this one golem. Or one like it if you want to give the player an out in case this vessel is destroyed.

I play a Free Spirit from a materialization tradition, but would be interested in seeing another form fleshed out.
NepheleKatan
That I can see working for this... The GM(s) didn't want this character to live past the vessel's demise.

Would things normally treated as augments be the same in building this vessel? I.e., will horns or something as such have to be treated as the same cost as it would on a standard built person (or rather, be natural to the golem I'm creating?)
sabs
You and the GM would have to come up with some material costs for creating the Golem.

Normally a Free Spirit PC costs a 250 BP. Perhaps you can talk him into a 100 BP rebate, with the quality that if the Golem is destroyed, the Free Spirit is dissipated and cannot return.

edited for accuracy
pbangarth
It's actually 250 BP. You can go for the modified karmagen version that requires 250 Karma to go into the 'metatype', and then carry on from there. You get a more functional PC that way, without going over the top by not paying anything for the race, as the RAW karmagen stipulates.

EDIT: costs for the golem are in Street Magic.
NepheleKatan
Where would I find a point of baring for the defensive values of bone of other such materials in this system?

Thanks for addressing all my questions, guys. biggrin.gif
pbangarth
Hmmm... if I understand your question, the materials are described for each of the suggested homunculus types on page 87, as well as the effects such as armor, etc.
NepheleKatan
Well, damn. I didn't mean to waste anyone's time, but it seems everything I'm asking about is in the same place. xD I had expected this to be a rare case, but it appears I have looked over some references that I shouldn't have.

Really appreciate everyone's time, do tell me if you have suggestions or tips on this process.

Glad to have found this place. smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (NepheleKatan @ Dec 7 2010, 12:33 PM) *
That would basically be the gist of it... Thanks. xD

Trying my best to avoid him being too suped up on this. I'll do some research on Inhabitation Free Spirit PC's.

Anyone have a resource for a novice building one?

Use this. Use the Bloodmourne concept, work it towards a Flesh Form, and then you can try to make his Formula, destroy his vessel (kill the body), then resummon him and bind him into a new vessel (going for Hybrid Form).

Or you can just have him re-roll like everyone else suggests.

EDIT: Pbangarth, I'm surprised you didn't think of this.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 7 2010, 04:57 PM) *
Use this. Use the Bloodmourne concept, work it towards a Flesh Form, and then you can try to make his Formula, destroy his vessel (kill the body), then resummon him and bind him into a new vessel (going for Hybrid Form).

Or you can just have him re-roll like everyone else suggests.

EDIT: Pbangarth, I'm surprised you didn't think of this.
Just trying to keep things simple, and I believe this is a character to be used right out of chargen.
Neraph
QUOTE (NepheleKatan @ Dec 7 2010, 11:12 AM) *
... and I've had a request from one of my party members to convert his character into a doll...

I was under the impression it was post-chargen.
pbangarth
Good point. I didn't see a Karma count, so I just assumed. Silly me. Still, Bloodmourne et al may be a bit over the top for the rest of the team. wink.gif
Neraph
vegm.gif I know.

EDIT: Well, not neccessarily. If you do it at F3 or so it wouldn't be that supah-powered. Say, at the average Force of the target's Mental stats?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012