Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Asthma
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kronk2
What are the best ways to cure Asthma in the 2070's? IRL I have Asthma and i know what works now. I have an athlete character who is asthmatic, what should I do by way of preventatives?
Makki
Aug p 93 Allergen Immunization
+
Internal Air Tank cyberware or Oxyrush Nanites or Low Oxygen Adaption geneware or Extended Volume bioware
+buy off the Asthma negative quality for 30 karma wink.gif
Kronk2
QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Dec 8 2010, 02:45 AM) *
What are the best ways to cure Asthma in the 2070's? IRL I have Asthma and i know what works now. I have an athlete character who is asthmatic, what should I do by way of preventatives?

forgot to mention that he is an adept

Like the idea of oxyrush, how would I make that. Could I buy a nano hive for it and not implant it?
rofltehcat
Are we talking about chronic asthma or allergic asthma here?
I have allergic asthma myself (cats, horses + animal fur in general, house dust mites) although even staying at my grandpa's house (pretty dusty and a cat) for a few hours or a day doesn't make me suffocate it really impedes my constitution of that day and the day after. Then breathing really isn't fun anymore and I feel like shit.

I guess by 2070 there'd also be some sort of implanted air filter that keeps every allergen and every pollution particle out of the lungs. But that would probably also limit lung volume or the ability to deal with peak strain during sprints etc.
I just don't remember seeing something like that in any of the rule books I've skimmed through.
Kronk2
QUOTE (rofltehcat @ Dec 8 2010, 04:41 AM) *
Are we talking about chronic asthma or allergic asthma here?
I guess by 2070 there'd also be some sort of implanted air filter that keeps every allergen and every pollution particle out of the lungs. But that would probably also limit lung volume or the ability to deal with peak strain during sprints etc.

/quote For rules purposes, treat Asthma as a Mild Common Allergy (p. 80, SR4) against multiple “allergens.” In addition, due to troubles with the respiratory system, the Body Rating is halved to
determine the number of turns before the character starts taking Fatigue damage (p.155, SR4). /quote

Genetherapy could work, as a cure anyway. but as a preventative, I will need to take a 2 fold approach. I have installed an airtank in my suit, how much would it cost to get an albuterol solution inserted into the output line?
KarmaInferno
Get Zero.

Inhale a puff in the morning.

Problem solved.

-k
nezumi
QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Dec 8 2010, 01:45 AM) *
What are the best ways to cure Asthma in the 2070's?

For 90% of the population? Death.

Although I've heard that some parasites also reduce asthmatic reactions (perhaps by causing death).
Kronk2
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Dec 9 2010, 09:36 AM) *
Get Zero.

Inhale a puff in the morning.

Problem solved.

Whazzat?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (nezumi @ Dec 9 2010, 03:15 PM) *
For 90% of the population? Death.

Although I've heard that some parasites also reduce asthmatic reactions (perhaps by causing death).

I've heard of that research. It isn't being clincally tested, but some people swear by it - small numbers of intestinal parasites, enough to force the body to properly process allergens (somehow, but not death) and not enough that they have a negative effect on the body.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Dec 9 2010, 02:24 PM) *
Whazzat?

I think Zero is the drug that removes the effects of allergies, but I'm away from books.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Kronk2 @ Dec 9 2010, 02:24 PM) *
Whazzat?

Zero

Arsenal pg 76, suppresses immune system reactions to allergies for 20-Body hours. 100 nuyen a dose, has the negative side effect of giving you a -2 die pool penalty to Disease and Toxin Resistance tests.

-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012