Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plausible Deniability
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
CanadianWolverine
Iranian Martial Arts Clubs Used for Political Repression

So, want any IRL inspiration for your Shadowrun characters or settings? Wikileaks might have what you are looking for.
Draco18s
Just as an aside to "The Wikileaks Issue" my issue is that the issue is about Julian Assange more than it is about the data.
Doc Chase
What gets me about the entire thing is that Anonymous is being as hypocritical as the companies they're attacking.

Freedom of expression applies to being stopped by .gov, not by private enterprise. nyahnyah.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Dec 9 2010, 04:27 PM) *
What gets me about the entire thing is that Anonymous is being as hypocritical as the companies they're attacking.

Freedom of expression applies to being stopped by .gov, not by private enterprise. nyahnyah.gif

The "hacktivism" has only taken up a half hour of my NPR, where as "Julian Assange is a rapist" or "Julian Assange thinks its his job to decide what's too sensative" or "Julian Assange this" "Julian Assange that" has taken up four whole days now.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 9 2010, 10:31 PM) *
The "hacktivism" has only taken up a half hour of my NPR, where as "Julian Assange is a rapist" or "Julian Assange thinks its his job to decide what's too sensative" or "Julian Assange this" "Julian Assange that" has taken up four whole days now.

I admit, the first time I read this I thought "Anonymous DDoS'd NPR? Why?"

But yeah. The reasoning for such is that the stuff he's released really isn't as newsworthy as his motivations for doing so.

In SR terms, it's everyone questioning why the trid pirate is releasing the notes for AZT's new marketing plan for Nerps, when everyone knows what Nerps are already.
hobgoblin
so even if some wageslave was to stumble into jackpoint, and read the topics there, they may just shrug it of as crazy conspiracy theories...

Reinforces my thought about a need for a wageslave pov book or similar.

Btw, there is some research out showing that we humans may defend what we initially read/hear about some subject. This especially if the initial info benefits us more then the new info.
Doc Chase
Assange is less like a wageslave and more like...Not even Fastjack because Assange is a figurehead, more like the head of KSAF. The Jackpointers are the ones getting the info and releasing it.

But yes, a wageslave book might be interesting, but I don't see it selling well.
hobgoblin
heh, so maybe "a day in a wageslave's life" section in some collection book? Like for example those SOTA books of old?

And i guess the whole Assange and wikileaks thing can be seen as a real life variation on how the TM story was exposed in Emergence.
Eimi
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Dec 9 2010, 03:18 PM) *
Assange is less like a wageslave and more like...Not even Fastjack because Assange is a figurehead, more like the head of KSAF. The Jackpointers are the ones getting the info and releasing it.

But yes, a wageslave book might be interesting, but I don't see it selling well.

Assange isn't Fastjack, certainly (and Wikileaks doesn't do any hacking, they only accept information from outside sources, they don't gather it themselves). But, on the other hand, to do some cut and pasting from his Wikipedia Article:

In 1987, after turning 16, Assange began hacking under the name "Mendax" (derived from a phrase of Horace: "splendide mendax," or "nobly untruthful"). He and two other hackers joined to form a group which they named the International Subversives. Assange wrote down the early rules of the subculture: "Don’t damage computer systems you break into (including crashing them); don’t change the information in those systems (except for altering logs to cover your tracks); and share information".

In response to the hacking, the Australian Federal Police raided his Melbourne home in 1991. He was reported to have accessed computers belonging to an Australian university, the Canadian telecommunications company Nortel, and other organisations, via modem. In 1992, he pleaded guilty to 24 charges of hacking and was released on bond for good conduct after being fined AU$2100. The prosecutor said "there is just no evidence that there was anything other than sort of intelligent inquisitiveness and the pleasure of being able to—what's the expression—surf through these various computers".

Assange later commented, "It's a bit annoying, actually. Because I cowrote a book about [being a hacker], there are documentaries about that, people talk about that a lot. They can cut and paste. But that was 20 years ago. It's very annoying to see modern day articles calling me a computer hacker. I'm not ashamed of it, I'm quite proud of it. But I understand the reason they suggest I'm a computer hacker now. There's a very specific reason."

&

In 1993, Assange was involved in starting one of the first public internet service providers in Australia, Suburbia Public Access Network. Starting in 1994, Assange lived in Melbourne as a programmer and a developer of free software. In 1995, Assange wrote Strobe, the first free and open source port scanner. He contributed several patches to the PostgreSQL project in 1996. He helped to write the book Underground: Tales of Hacking, Madness and Obsession on the Electronic Frontier (1997), which credits him as a researcher and reports his history with International Subversives. Starting around 1997, he co-invented the Rubberhose deniable encryption system, a cryptographic concept made into a software package for Linux designed to provide plausible deniability against rubber-hose cryptanalysis; he originally intended the system to be used "as a tool for human rights workers who needed to protect sensitive data in the field." Other free software that he has authored or co-authored includes the Usenet caching software NNTPCache and Surfraw, a command-line interface for web-based search engines. In 1999, Assange registered the domain leaks.org; "But", he says, "then I didn't do anything with it."

Assange has reportedly attended six universities. From 2003 to 2006, he studied physics and mathematics at the University of Melbourne. On his personal web page, he described having represented his university at the Australian National Physics Competition around 2005. He has also studied philosophy and neuroscience.

End excerpts.

While he may be the chosen face of Wikileaks (they didn't want to have one at first, but people kept claiming to represent them online who weren't affiliated with them, so, as the founder and head editor, he was picked), he's not just a Face. And while he's no Fastjack, I wouldn't say he'd make a bad Captain Chaos.
bernardo
Don't know if Assange is Fastjack or Captain Chaos. I think, though, that this whole wikileaks thing does feel shadowruny to me. Specially when you wake up in the morning and cyber attacks and hacker storys are all over the newspapers... cyber.gif

And if you remmember that helicopter attack video leak, they did had to roll their decrypt software...
Fortinbras
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 9 2010, 06:14 PM) *
so even if some wageslave was to stumble into jackpoint, and read the topics there, they may just shrug it of as crazy conspiracy theories...

Reinforces my thought about a need for a wageslave pov book or similar.

So let's write it. I'd be happy to contribute as much copy as you need. Let me know the parameters and a place to send it.
Worse case scenario it becomes some fan drek roaming cyberspace.
CanadianWolverine
The Soldier Who Survived the Ambush
Elvaron
QUOTE (bernardo @ Dec 11 2010, 01:42 PM) *
I think, though, that this whole wikileaks thing does feel shadowruny to me.

That is the only part that feels shadowruny to you? I've seen my fair share of companies acting with extraterritorial powers already... Add to it the rise of islamistic tendencies (keyword: euro wars)... Okay, the date on the 2nd korean war and the unification of both halves is off... And next year we're supposed to see elves, dwarves and a dragon on christmas...
hobgoblin
don't know about dragons, but i see elves and dwarfs every christmas...
Draco18s
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 13 2010, 09:56 AM) *
don't know about dragons, but i see elves and dwarfs every christmas...

You're not being creative enough. wink.gif

(I can't find this really awesome one I found a few years ago; I've got the images one another PC that I could dig up later)
Elvaron
Damn, you're right.... Crap... I must be a racist, I guess, cause I want to shoot those elves and dwarfs...
Doc Chase
QUOTE (bernardo @ Dec 11 2010, 12:42 PM) *
Don't know if Assange is Fastjack or Captain Chaos. I think, though, that this whole wikileaks thing does feel shadowruny to me. Specially when you wake up in the morning and cyber attacks and hacker storys are all over the newspapers... cyber.gif

And if you remmember that helicopter attack video leak, they did had to roll their decrypt software...

Neither. FJ and CC both have skill with the computer. Assange does not.

Rolling Stone did an article on one of the Wikileaks backers, who claims to have written the program that allows people to send the data that Wikileaks gathers without being caught. It's also been claimed this program is used by intelligence services worldwide.

Part of me wonders if it's actually been looked at to see if it's sending a copy to these guys automatically.
hobgoblin
Assange used to hack Australian systems as a teen.
Elvaron
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 13 2010, 05:59 PM) *

That's no big news. Every teen with some knowledge of computer did it at that time. The news is that he was caught.
CanRay
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 13 2010, 12:59 PM) *

Yeah, well Tony Stark did it, in a cave, WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!

Sorry, couldn't help it.

I remember when the Hacker Scare was heating up and one was found in my hometown. (Actually a town outside the city I was living in.).

The scary part? He was using such an obsolete POS machine that faith in the security of the USA was pretty much shot.

Of course, I live in Canada, and we knew our systems were hack-proof back then. They were still on paper.
hobgoblin
i was just trying to point out that Assange indeed knows (or did know) computers.
Elvaron
Certainly not to the extent where he would be called the world's best hacker, though, thus he can't be the mentioned named NPCs.
My money's on metahuman-form great dragon.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 13 2010, 09:13 PM) *
i was just trying to point out that Assange indeed knows (or did know) computers.

Most people in '72 'know' computers. Folks like CC or Fastjack also know how to keep their mouths shut in the right way, I.E. how to air the secrets without it coming down on them.

Assange clearly does not, and as I said - the lion's share of his accomplishments re: WikiLeaks have been on the backs of supporters.
Elvaron
Maybe he's Poolitzer?
Doc Chase
William Randolph Hearst without the money.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Dec 13 2010, 10:35 PM) *
Most people in '72 'know' computers. Folks like CC or Fastjack also know how to keep their mouths shut in the right way, I.E. how to air the secrets without it coming down on them.

Assange clearly does not, and as I said - the lion's share of his accomplishments re: WikiLeaks have been on the backs of supporters.

Well given that his agenda is to undermine potential conspiracies of all kinds by putting their underwear on display (and thereby scaring them into choking their own information flow until they are unable to operate from fear of leaks), there is a reason why he is not keeping his mouth shut.

I am not up to speed on why the captain got into the shadowland biz, but fastjack is a former runner turned mentor for the next generation.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Elvaron @ Dec 13 2010, 09:24 PM) *
Certainly not to the extent where he would be called the world's best hacker, though, thus he can't be the mentioned named NPCs.
My money's on metahuman-form great dragon.

Was the Captain a world class hacker? I only know him as a journalist turned shadowland seattle sysop.

Yea, he knew enough to punt the pesky kids of the node. But beyond that?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 13 2010, 10:47 PM) *
Well given that his agenda is to undermine potential conspiracies of all kinds by putting their underwear on display (and thereby scaring them into choking their own information flow until they are unable to operate from fear of leaks), there is a reason why he is not keeping his mouth shut.

I am not up to speed on why the captain got into the shadowland biz, but fastjack is a former runner turned mentor for the next generation.

Were it Captain Chaos or FastJack, they would be able to dodge the net that Assange could not. Perhaps it's personal bias against the man speaking (because I think the man had all the grace of a bucket of paint compared to what he could've done), but I think far too many people are giving the man far too much credit.

At least CC and FJ (and a majority of the Shadowland/Jackpoint posters) would at least review and comment on the damn information before releasing it to the world. This Wikileaks dump is akin to a kid stealing his sister's diary and opening it for the first time to read aloud in the lunchroom.
CanRay
Were it CC or FJ, we wouldn't know about it. Forget the regular public.

Honestly, how many of us could actually have the skills or softs to get into ShadowLand/ShadowSEA/JackPoint?

Our characters, on the other hand...
Doc Chase
Are you kidding?

The combined skills of all the SR characters I have ever played amounts to a Data Search of 1. nyahnyah.gif
Elvaron
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Dec 14 2010, 12:14 AM) *
Are you kidding?

The combined skills of all the SR characters I have ever played amounts to a Data Search of 1. nyahnyah.gif

What? You never play tech chars do you?
I believe if I had the Data Search powers of all my past characters combined, I'd start calling myself Mr.Leaky (or something less ridiculous).

As towards hobgoblins: Oops, I meant to include only FastJack into that sentence, and somehow at the center of the sentence I lost track of what I wanted to write... In my defense, I was distracted since my graphics card was acting up by throwing weird pixel errors onto the screen (It has now stopped but I'm still kind of worried) - someone's probably using a backdoor on my PC or something and the video hook made the graphics driver hickup... or I'm just paranoid...
hobgoblin
Or it could be a heat issue, who can really tell these days?
Draco18s
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 13 2010, 05:49 PM) *
Was the Captain a world class hacker? I only know him as a journalist turned shadowland seattle sysop.

He created the Shadowland BBS, and did it in such a way that:

1) There was no registration. It was open to anyone to read and post.
2) You had to be a good hacker to get that far.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Elvaron @ Dec 14 2010, 12:43 AM) *
What? You never play tech chars do you?

Never ever. I barely play mages, even.

Then again, I barely play. nyahnyah.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012