Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sensors
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Socinus
I took a serious look at the sensor rules and...I'm a little confused.

The Mounted sensor package has a capacity of 5, yet is described as being "lunch box" sized. Many of the sensors described can fit in a device the size of a large cell phone in the current time. So did sensors just get WORSE as time went by? How is it that so few sensors require so much space in 2070 when in 2010 we can do much better.
Tanegar
"You're doing that 'reality' thing again. Stop it."
-James Herbert III, Summer 2010
Eratosthenes
QUOTE (Socinus @ Dec 13 2010, 06:22 PM) *

The Mounted sensor package has a capacity of 5, yet is described as being "lunch box" sized. Many of the sensors described can fit in a device the size of a large cell phone in the current time. So did sensors just get WORSE as time went by? How is it that so few sensors require so much space in 2070 when in 2010 we can do much better.

They're talking about lunch boxes in the 2070's, obviously. Lunches have gotten smaller. biggrin.gif
Rystefn
QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Dec 14 2010, 02:22 AM) *
They're talking about lunch boxes in the 2070's, obviously. Lunches have gotten smaller. biggrin.gif

That's right: It's the future, everything is in pill form so a lunch box is smaller than an Altoids tin. Soy and krill pills, of course.
oinopion
QUOTE (Socinus @ Dec 14 2010, 12:22 AM) *

Yeah, you're better off with a handfull of coins (minidrone size, 3 capacity).
Saint Sithney
Some sensors are small, sure. Barometric, motion etc should be null space amongst others. A Radar sensor with a 10km radius can fit in that same lunchbox. Sensor rules are the worst.
Rotbart van Dainig
But at least they are better than in previous editions. They only forgot to mention that Sensor Tests are only for real RADAR and SONAR – and that cameras and the like use only normal Perception Tests.

Of course, the lunchbox-sized tripod radar only has a range of 1km.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012