Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ultrasound sensor in cybereyes?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
mmmkay
I feel like this has been asked before, but my searches have been unsuccessful. Clearly you can put an ultrasound sensor in goggles/glasses/contacts/etc, because the ultrasound sensor is included in the list of vision enhancements. On the other hand, the implanted ultrasound sensor is headware which has capacity 2 that can only be installed in cyberlimbs (although the wording is may be installed in cyberlimbs instead of can only be installed in cyberlimbs), so does that mean you can't install the ultrasound sensor in your cyber eye?

So, other than eyeware subsystems, what can be included in a cyber eye?

Secondly, I'm a bit confused about what you would do if you had the third-eye metagenetic negative quality and wanted to make it a cybereye? Would you just multiply the essence cost, nuyen cost, and capacity by 1.5 from the base model and call it a day?
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (mmmkay @ Dec 18 2010, 01:15 PM) *
So, other than eyeware subsystems, what can be included in a cyber eye?

Nothing.
QUOTE (mmmkay @ Dec 18 2010, 01:15 PM) *
Secondly, I'm a bit confused about what you would do if you had the third-eye metagenetic negative quality and wanted to make it a cybereye?

There are single cybereyes.
mmmkay
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 18 2010, 04:28 AM) *
Nothing.

So you can put an ultrasound sensor in your glasses but not in your eyes?

Edit: Nevermind, the radar cyberware for LOS thread seems to discuss this very topic.
Rotbart van Dainig
By RAW indeed.
Yerameyahu
If it makes you feel any better, you shouldn't be able to put ultrasound in your glasses, either. By rights, it should be a Sensor (like Radar), instead of a Visual Enhancement (like Thermo).
mmmkay
It just seems like rating 4 cybereyes aren't used to full capacity. I wasn't thinking of anything in particular, but I would probably use up 13 or 14 capacity and have another 2-3 capacity that is left unused.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (mmmkay @ Dec 18 2010, 04:29 PM) *
It just seems like rating 4 cybereyes aren't used to full capacity. I wasn't thinking of anything in particular, but I would probably use up 13 or 14 capacity and have another 2-3 capacity that is left unused.

The eye laser system is pretty nifty and eats up a lot of capacity. Honestly, there are more choices than capacity for cybereyes, you can't pick them all.
Doc Byte
QUOTE (mmmkay @ Dec 18 2010, 03:29 PM) *

Let's have a look...

Cybereyes, rating 4 [16]
- Imagelink [-]
- Eye Recording Unit [-]
- Thermographic [2]
- Low Light [2]
- Eye Light [2]
- Vision Magnification [2]
- Vision Enhancement 3 [3]
- Flare Compensation [1]
- Smartlink [3]

Total capacity: 15 / 16

One might use the last capacity point for Retinal Duplication or leave it unused. Or swap any capacity-2 part for an Eye Laser System.
InfinityzeN
Here's a list that will use up all the slots and works very well.

.Cybereyes 4
.- Eye Recording Unit
.- Image Link
.- Low-Light Vision
.- Smartgun System
.- Thermographic Vision
.- Vision Enhancement 3
.- Vision Magnification
.- Flare Compensation
.- Eye Laser System (Laser Designator, Laser Microphone 3, Laser Range Finder)
Yerameyahu
Still, it's basically 13 for the basics, with 3 left for exotic extras (non-tool laser, or retinal dupe + eye light). It's nearly a perfect fit, although I'd rather get all of it much cheaper in external gear versions. biggrin.gif
InfinityzeN
There is also Microscopic Vision, which uses 3 slots.
Yerameyahu
Right. I ignored it because it's Microscopic Vision. wink.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Dec 18 2010, 11:14 AM) *
Right. I ignored it because it's Microscopic Vision. wink.gif

Heh... wobble.gif
Glyph
The Bounty Hunter archetype in the SR4 book can have an ultrasound sensor in his cybereyes.

No one else can! EVER!!
mmmkay
He can hear your eyes rolling and it bothered him enough to uninstall the ultrasound sensor by the time SR4a came out.
Aku
if anything, ultrasound would be able to be included in cyberears, not eyes.
Rotbart van Dainig
Uhm… not quite. It was Eyeware in SR3, which got cheaper if you had high-frequency earware.
MJBurrage
Fluff: For reasons not completely understood by Sixth World researchers, only touch and vision work to establish the mystical connection needed for spell targeting.

Game Balance: The designers do not want Ultrasound or Radar to be used for magical targeting.

In 3rd Ed. Ultrasound could be implanted in the eye, and as noted was cheaper if you already had related earware, this is a well and good (and logical) but it led to the whole magical targeting problem and related debates.

Past editions (especially 3rd) had some interesting and detailed attempts at rationally explaining why Ultrasound and Radar didn't work for magical targeting. But that way lies danger, since for every attempt to rationalize magic the way the designers want, players come back with "yeah, but if X is true than..."

So in Fourth Edition they simply made Ultrasound and Radar Headware not Eyeware. So the RAW & RAI answer is:
You can target spells at things you can touch or see with your eyes (and implanted cybereyes in your body are "your eyes"). Since Ultrasound and Radar cyberware are not part of your eyes they do not work for spell targeting.

P.S. The reason that Ultrasound and Radar are described like vision, and even have modifiers on perception tables, is because for everything except spell targeting that is by far the easiest thing to do.
Yerameyahu
They really should just make a very clear list of senses versus sensors. It's not a problem if magic only works with senses; magic can be arbitrary like that. The FAQ doesn't help by vaguely suggesting you can use hearing, scent, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012