Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gear Artwork for WAR!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aria
Given that I complained about the lack of images for the gear in War! I thought I'd start a thread for gathering suitable images off the web and submitting them for people to comment on...

Now I've just browsed Google and so all copyrights etc are as per the webpage the links come from...I’ll try and update this as people find links…and thanks to the artists who have provided all this!

…and feel free to post different links for the same piece of gear then everyone can choose what they like the look of smile.gif

SPOILER WARNING: Below is a list of the guns etc from the new War! sourcebook

Guns
[ Spoiler ]

Drones
[ Spoiler ]

Military Vehicles
[ Spoiler ]

Naval Vessels
[ Spoiler ]

Good Hunting!
Link
Shiawase Hephaestus A-2 Fast Attack Vehicle
Aria
Added a complete list of the guns and vehicles from War! (Hope nobody minds?!?) and a couple more links...
Manunancy
The KM-3103 Kreutzritter looks nice, but I wonder where the ammo for the gun is kept - it looks like a serious large bore affair with bulky ammo, and there's no room in the hull to store reloads. Even moving the ammo from the hull would be difficult.

Bascially, good looking but not a pluasible design.
hermit
Most of those names are beyond awful, so you may want to change those too while you're at it
Smokeskin
QUOTE (hermit @ Dec 23 2010, 09:01 AM) *
Most of those names are beyond awful, so you may want to change those too while you're at it

I was going to say "it's a laser", but there are no vehicle laser weapons. Or even railguns, or did I miss something?
Mäx
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Dec 23 2010, 10:22 AM) *
I was going to say "it's a laser", but there are no vehicle laser weapons. Or even railguns, or did I miss something?

Only the vehicle weapons section in Arsenal wink.gif
Ragewind
I perused the book myself and was saddening to see no pictures of the weapons. Good luck in the search!
hermit

No, I was refering to the names of the vehicles. The guns too, mostly because many of them are apparently new and improved weapons based on designs that are as far from a Shadowrun rifle as today's rifles are from a WW1 longarm. But hey, the SCAR is all the rage amon American weapons nerds, so obviously it will be 60 years in the future, too.

But on to what's grating me about the vehicle names.

Well, the Kreuzritter is a translation of the American 'Crusader'. Germany HAS an equivalent piece of equpment, the Panzerhaubitze (PzH) 2000. How difficult would naming it PzH 2100 have been? But no, we go with a simple translatuion of the American name. But that's not the worst (actually, the worst names are in the alternatives, which are bad even by War!'s lowly standards). Vogelhund is an accumulation of two words (Vogel - bird and Hund - dog) that just makes no sense. That word does not exist. It evokes [img=http://data70.sevenload.com/slcom/ke/oc/gkpmlkd/npoqilkgjnjf.jpg]this image[/img]. Unlike English, German is not a language that is very friendly to making up words by sticking parts of other words together.

Jagdpferd at least is an existing word, though I am pretty sure it is an accident. And a horse name for a boat ... really, what were they thinking. Besides, the naming convention for German warships since the days of the royal Prussian navy is to take city names. But oh no, research. Also, UCAS abdullah clas. Eh. Abdullas who? Why name a ship class Abdullah? Is there a John Doe class too? Or maybe a German equivalent, the Max Mustermann class? Yeah, we get it, LOL AN AMERICAN SUB NAMED AFTER AN ARAB LOOOOL, but really, at least they could have chosen a name that made sense for a sub or even just a [full name[/i]. The John Doe class would actually be just the John class if used like this. And Abdullah isn't even an Arab name, but a Turkish name. Research. Why Esprit would name a landing craft after an auxiliary sail is beyond me, but at least that's an actual nautical term. I'm tempted to think that's a pure coincident too, judging from the random and idiotic way of treating non-English names in War!.

You don't use the alternative models names, so I will spare you ranting about them. It would be a long one, and I don't even speak half the languages that are being raped with these names, so there's probably even more turds among them. Really, if you're monolingual, stay the hell away from other languages.
raben-aas
@hermit: As one German poster pointed out in the Pegasus forums: The Vogelhund was NOT introduced by WAR! It has been around for some while and apparently was just overlooked by the fans (myself included). Maybe because it was released at a time "before internet 2.0", when publishers were still free to release utter crap without anyone noticing smile.gif

There's even a pic of the Vogelhund online, here:
http://www.gods-inc.de/macavity/IsleOfShad...l-vogelhund.jpg
http://www.gods-inc.de/macavity/IsleOfShad...cles/tanks.html
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (raben-aas @ Jan 5 2011, 11:33 AM) *
@hermit: As one German poster pointed out in the Pegasus forums: The Vogelhund was NOT introduced by WAR! It has been around for some while and apparently was just overlooked by the fans (myself included). Maybe because it was released at a time "before internet 2.0", when publishers were still free to release utter crap without anyone noticing smile.gif

Um, that appears to be a fan-made page with some non-Shadowrun content adapted to Shadowrun rules.

-k
Mardrax
Beside the question of wether or not its canon, of which I have no clue, and don't particularly care:

This is about a light air defense vehicle.
The name here actually makes sense.

To hermit, I'd like to say that I think makes sense for an extraterritoreal corp to disassociate from its once parent nation, on things like naming conventions.
hermit
QUOTE (raben-aas @ Jan 5 2011, 05:33 PM) *

Yeah, but that's a netbook ... also, the guy who wrote it should totally soue the shit out of CGL for that. Aaron is a bad writer who steals ideas. Good to know.

The name here actually makes sense.

Not really. But it's not quite as crappy as the others, yes.
Ryu
There is a Vogelhund in SOTA2063. As is the Kreuzritter.
Ryu
*double post*
hermit
I guess the Vogelhund went with the German edition then. Of course, I never spent much time with SOTA 63.
Mardrax
I'm making the assumption the driver would go see what's left to salvage after shooting a plane down, Vogelhund makes some sense. Especialy since he called the turret itself Vogeljager or somesuch, which makes the car subservient to the turret., functioning for mobility, saving the hunter the walking.
*shrug*
I didn't say it makes a lot of sense. Just some. nyahnyah.gif
Ryu
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 6 2011, 01:50 AM) *
I guess the Vogelhund went with the German edition then. Of course, I never spent much time with SOTA 63.

It is in the English version, which is the one I own. The point is that IF said ideas were stolen, Aaron is not the one to blame.
hermit
Point taken.
Mäx
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 6 2011, 02:25 AM) *
There is a Vogelhund in SOTA2063. As is the Kreuzritter.

know that you pointed this out i noticed that almost all of the ground vehicles in WAR or their alternate version are updated(or the same in few cases) versions of the vehicles from SotA2063 or those alternate versions.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 5 2011, 04:25 PM) *
Yeah, but that's a netbook ... also, the guy who wrote it should totally soue the shit out of CGL for that. Aaron is a bad writer who steals ideas. Good to know.

Eh, the name "Bird-dog" is entirely appropriate for an air defense vehicle.

Both vehicle authors are probably non-German speaking and independently used an internet encyclopedia or something to come up with the name. I don't necessarily think the War! author stole anything. Interestingly, if I type "Bird Dog" into Babelfish, it does in fact come back with "Vogelhund".

And the name is all the two vehicles really share.

I would imagine the author of that Netbook would like to avoid legal attention, honestly, considering how many other works he stole names and artwork off of.

-k
CanRay
Wait... They didn't bring back the MPUV? frown.gif

I loved the MPUV!!!
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 5 2011, 10:25 PM) *
Yeah, but that's a netbook ... also, the guy who wrote it should totally soue the shit out of CGL for that.

Given that those pictures all are "stolen" as well…
hermit
Eh, the name "Bird-dog" is entirely appropriate for an air defense vehicle.

And Guantanamo, being such an idyllic piece of an idyllic carribean island, is a very appropriate name for a cruise liner, now is it?

It's not really hard to find the naming convention for German ground vehicles.

Given that those pictures all are "stolen" as well…

Oh, thought at least the white/black one was riginal. Didn't check up on the list.
KarmaInferno
Huh, went back to look at SOTA 2063, and the Vogelhund indeed is in there.

Looks like that Netbook author stole that from SR, not the other way around.

QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 6 2011, 10:13 AM) *

I'm just saying it's not entirely surprising that a guy who isn't German and doesn't speak the language might not think to check if Germany has a specific naming practice, and just goes with whatever looks good.

-k
Mardrax
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 6 2011, 04:13 PM) *

Again, I think that's a fairly weak argument. Naming conventions for vehicles ordered by the German government might well differ from those made independantly by a corp, like Ruhrmetall in this case. Not to mention from those produced by an extraterritoreal corp like SK, or those ordered by MET2000
Besides, there's only so many big cats nyahnyah.gif
raben-aas
Since everyone seems to "know" that the netbook with the Vogelhund was first, and Sota "stole" the Vogelhund idea (and not the other way around, which I think is the case) – how do you know? Finding a date when Sota was published is easy – knowing when the Vogelhund netbook entry was put up is not.

So: Anyone has a reference/citation/sauce?

AAS
Rotbart van Dainig
Hrm, that sub-page is not on archive.org. Maybe you can ask Barbie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012