Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found this
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kronk2
Here ya go, check this out. If any of you have read it, let me know. OR if you happen to have written it, COOL!
Draco18s
From the Amazon description:

The pieces of the Shadowrun novel series present an interesting problem. Should they be categorized as Science Fiction or Fantasy novels? In order to answer this question we have to know exactly what these two genres represent. Unfortunately their definition is not at all unified. The only thing that we can say for sure is that they do exist. The countless books belonging to either of these genres are proof of that. And still, there is much confusion about them. This is why I feel the need to examine both genres and dispel some of the misunderstandings. In this book I will present the history, criticism and characteristics of Science Fiction and Fantasy. So the majority of my book is not about Shadowrun, but the two important genres.In the second part of my book I present and analyze the Shadowrun series through one of the novels, in order to locate it within the genres and further clarifying the differences between Science Fiction and Fantasy. I recommend this book not just for Shadowrun, Sf and Fantasy fans, but anyone who would like to know more about these genres.
Stahlseele
wat?
somebody wrote a BOOK . . about the shadowrun BOOKS?
Mikado
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 24 2010, 02:52 PM) *
wat?
somebody wrote a BOOK . . about the shadowrun BOOKS?

I think you missed the part where they charge $60 for it...
Stahlseele
No no, i got that part . .
War 13
And at only 68 pages it looks like also. I would love to read it to see what he says but that is just crazy
hobgoblin
I could have sworn someone have resented the amazon store link to this before.
Aku
Of its only 68 pages, see if it'd in your local mass market b&m book store and read it thet
Adam
QUOTE (Aku @ Dec 24 2010, 04:19 PM) *
Of its only 68 pages, see if it'd in your local mass market b&m book store and read it thet

There is virtually no chance this title has ever been offered in a mass market bookstore.
Neraph
From what I understand of the SR Novels, one is hardly representative of the mass or neccessarily of the setting, like from what I understand the Dragonheart Trilogy to be.
pbangarth
VDM almost looks like a vanity publisher, and so the quality of the material may not be scrutinized as closely as by a regular academic publisher. Of course, given the nature of role playing game publishing, both rulebooks and novels, this may not be an issue for most.
Kronk2
I think its a masters thesis. If it is, there are far more interesting things in shadowrun to write about. The role of history in the thing, connotative values of dragon. Use of the amerid revolution as a metaphor for the decline of American prominence. I could go on here, but this gets a bit wanky after too long.
Draco18s
"Dragons" could be a thesis topic for a whole graduating class, and you'd still only scratch the surface.
Tzeentch
-- If this is an actual Masters thesis then gods have mercy on the liberal arts education of our country. smile.gif

-- In some seriousness though, can't be worse than some of the glorified book reports I've seen accepted though!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012