Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
LurkerOutThere
Original recruiting thread: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...=33721&st=0
In Character andf Intro Thread: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...p;#entry1025036

An example of a PBP RT game can be found here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128621

First let me say that this game will not start properly until at least January 15th. Secondly I'm still learning the rules of the system so while I might not have all the answers I will try as best I can.

You may choose any career you wish and can reasonably justify through backstory and may make other origin path choices relatively freely as long as you can justify them to me. Please do not abuse this and give me solid characters rather then just the most heinous munchkin thing you can come up with. The goal is to be characters, not statblocks. /soapbox off.

We will be using the allocating points section on page 14. Any corruption or insanity gained from origins paths etc will need to be rolled using invisible castle and posted here, ditto for mutations.

We will be using Into the Storm and the options therein, with the exception of the options for Xenos characters, I just can't wrap my mind around them.

Renowned Warrant is allowed and due to backstory reasons anyone playing a rogue trader will get it for Free.

While I will provide more details as I finalize some of my plans I will let you guys know that you will have some opportunity to aquire gear after play starts but before you set out away from civilization. The campaign will open with you acquiring, or I should say re-acquiring a ship of your dynasty and preparing it for travel. As I've previously alluded to while it won't mechanically change anything you will be effectively the most junior branch of an established Rogue Trader enterprise, as such you will be somewhat directed by the leader of your family to undertake certain things as both a test of your abilities and for the good of your family. I intend to keep such commandments light and open, think of them less as NPC orders and more as prebuilt plot hooks.

Edit and addendum: As your ship is on loan to you from your dynasty I will be doing most of the designing on it as there are some things it needs to have from a story standpoint.

My list thus far(Recruiting Open)

Zyerne: Arch-Militant or Void Master
Tanegar: Explorator
Karoline: Virtually anything
Drace:RT, Navigator, or Missionary
PBTHHHHT

Other stuff: Feel free to use the main thread for dice rolls, roll an action and describe results if appropriate.
LurkerOutThere
Reserved for Info on the PC's.
LurkerOutThere
Reserved for info on NPC's and the Ship Stats.
Drace
I assume you are wanting the character sheets to be done on here in the usual spoiler form, but do you want an additional copy pmed to you for your own records?
Zyerne
I'm going to be a little busy the next few days, basically 'til my son goes back to school on Tuesday. Given the start date, I'm going to hold off on char gen 'til after then if that's ok?
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Drace @ Dec 31 2010, 04:22 AM) *
I assume you are wanting the character sheets to be done on here in the usual spoiler form, but do you want an additional copy pmed to you for your own records?

just here is fine. Zyrene waiting until after Tuesday is fine Jan 15 is my planned stardate but I might not be ready by then.
Karoline
Darn, lost the backstory I had half written up. Anyway, what I was saying was that I noticed no one had an astropath yet, so I went through and made mine. Wanted to get her posted early because she is 100 xp over the 500 initially given, so wanted to ask for special permission to be 100 xp in debt or if I would have to change one of my origin things to cost less xp.

[ Spoiler ]

Here is a quick redo of her backstory (Stupid mouse clicking close when I moved my laptop.)

[ Spoiler ]

Edit: Wow, that ended up coming out way longer than I'd expected/intended.
Drace
Got the Rogue trader here

Current Character sheet:
[ Spoiler ]

Description
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Origin Path
[ Spoiler ]

Stats
[ Spoiler ]
LurkerOutThere
Interesting backstory's from you both. I've been looking at my timeline and wondering if i made the Vorhees matriach a little too old. But she's got more wealth then most not to mention the time distending affects of warp travel I suppose it's possible.
Karoline
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jan 2 2011, 04:08 AM) *
Interesting backstory's from you both. I've been looking at my timeline and wondering if i made the Vorhees matriach a little too old. But she's got more wealth then most not to mention the time distending affects of warp travel I suppose it's possible.

Well, first off there is the warp time distortion. If she's spent a good portion of her life in the warp, she could easily be several centuries old because there is a 12:1 time difference. That means if she's spent 1 year in the warp, she'd be 11 years older in 'real' years than she has actually aged. With the potential length of such travels, she could easily have spent 10 years in warp travel, which means she'd be 110 years older on record than she really is. Then you can compound that with the fact that there are all kinds of life extending treatments and such so people can live to be centuries old (And I seem to recall some Space Marines being thousands of years old). So yeah, she could easily be a few centuries old and only be in her 50s even before undergoing treatments.

Oh, and maybe you know LOT. Is there any sort of minimum age in lore for people to undergo the soul-binding to the Emperor? The Imperium doesn't seem to set a ton of weight in things like minimum ages, but I'm not super familiar with the setting to be honest. Same goes with developing psyker powers. Does that follow the traditional 'usually appears at puberty' formula that is so popular?
Drace
For psykers there is no rule to it, you could be 2 or 200 when it manifests, but it does take roughly 1-10 years to get to terra and another 1-5 or so to train from what I remember and the rules in DH for becoming a psyker later on in the campaign
PBTHHHHT
Are we just using the main core rulebook, or is the 'Into the Storm' book also being used? They have new, alternate career paths listed, along with also the warrant background path. They have a download of the charts available in the downloads section at Fantasy Flight games. Food for thought.

I'm thinking of making either an arch-militant, seneschal, or void master. If people are fine with overlapping careers for characters.
Karoline
We are using Into the Storm. I'm thinking our warrant may be prebuilt for us though. No one currently has their eye on Senschal, and while Zyrene has said VM or AM, she obviously can't be both. If she decides on which of the two she'll be playing (I think VM from talking to her a bit) then you can always pick the other.
PBTHHHHT
Yup, thanks for the quick response, I'm also kicking myself for asking it, just re-read the OP again.
That's great since I just bought the Into the Storm book recently.

I may have to lean to Seneschal, it'll be something different from what I'm usually playing, it'll be a great personal rp exercise.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 2 2011, 01:09 PM) *
Well, first off there is the warp time distortion. If she's spent a good portion of her life in the warp, she could easily be several centuries old because there is a 12:1 time difference. That means if she's spent 1 year in the warp, she'd be 11 years older in 'real' years than she has actually aged. With the potential length of such travels, she could easily have spent 10 years in warp travel, which means she'd be 110 years older on record than she really is. Then you can compound that with the fact that there are all kinds of life extending treatments and such so people can live to be centuries old (And I seem to recall some Space Marines being thousands of years old). So yeah, she could easily be a few centuries old and only be in her 50s even before undergoing treatments.

Plus, don't forget there are extremely rare and odd times when a ship comesout of the warp at their destination before they ever left for the journey in the first place... Much confusion and usual inquisitorial hijinks ensues. The one occurence had the Inquisition involved if I remember correctly, but heck, the ship in question, the 'real' ship was still being built or something, I think the crew was purged during the questioning. smile.gif I love the little tidbits here and there in the books.
Drace
And to keep going with kicking the extremely old dog, there is also juve-nat therapy, which can add a few hundred years (even more if the person in question used inquistition and similiar quality therapy, which is possible for RTs) and then there is cybernetic and biological replacement for failing organs which can add a few hundred years yet again. And on top of that, there is the fact that Rogue traders have access to the rarest of archeotech and xenotech/xeno-arcana that can be used to prolong life even further.

I think the oldest non-psyker and non-uber augmented human (ie: no space marine or other superhuman) was a inquisitor mentioned in the thorian sourcebook that was older than 700 and still actively doing his job
Zyerne
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 3 2011, 09:06 PM) *
We are using Into the Storm. I'm thinking our warrant may be prebuilt for us though. No one currently has their eye on Senschal, and while Zyrene has said VM or AM, she obviously can't be both. If she decides on which of the two she'll be playing (I think VM from talking to her a bit) then you can always pick the other.

I'm still debating between the two, I'll be sitting down with the books tomorrow.
LurkerOutThere
I'm getting more and more stoked by the day about this game but have at least one project that has to be done before we can really start. I also believe we will have at least one more joining us so that is a positive.

Zyerne
I've settled on Void Master. Talking to Karoline regarding background as I'm thinking about having been on the same ship for the same incident.
Karoline
Sisters by virtue of shared trauma or something like that nyahnyah.gif
Riegien
Hi all. I'm looking at getting into this too. I'm leaning towards either a seneschal or arch militant, mainly seneschal. Will have it figured out as soon as I get a better handle on the rules, which I'm hoping to do so tonight.
LurkerOutThere
There's a lot of shared trauma to go around in 40k. I'm still working piecemeal on my stuff to get us started but things are looking good.
Drace
Damn, I keep on checking every day here to see if any little tidbits has been put up.

Oh, and I was wondering, do we all know each other already, or with the exception of Zyerne and Karoline are we all put together and meeting for the first time as the officers of the ship?
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (Drace @ Jan 12 2011, 10:15 PM) *
Damn, I keep on checking every day here to see if any little tidbits has been put up.

Oh, and I was wondering, do we all know each other already, or with the exception of Zyerne and Karoline are we all put together and meeting for the first time as the officers of the ship?

Unfortuantely work has been kicking my ass lately, I plan on us starting proper next week as I'll be out of town this weekend and when I get back on monday I have a SR related project that I MUST finish up if not before then.

As to knowing each other that is up to you the only real mandatory tie is you've all come into the employ of the Vorhees Noble Family, a power in the Calixis sector who's Rogue Trader warrant means they are a force to be reckoned with there and beyond. The game will start during your briefing at the Vorhees compound in Hive Tarsus on the Segmentum capital world of Scintilia. I'm presuming this same hive is where Luscious and Riegen's characters grew up. I will give more in character details later but your being called to be briefed by Alejandtro Vorhees, the family regent and representative to the lucid court. I'll have a profile on Alejandro and an in character greeting/summons for each fo you. Suffice to say Alejandro is the power in the family second only to his sister Agatha and speaks with her authority for any business of the families planet side.

Karoline
QUOTE (Drace @ Jan 12 2011, 11:15 PM) *

If you can come up with possible ties to others, it is generally a good idea. If two people both have the hive world origin for example, it is easy to say that they grew up knowing each other, even if they split up as their lives moved on. That's basically how Zyerne and I got together. Both our characters have the void born origin. We also both happened to have the same mutation, so made even more sense that we were together for the same event.
Zyerne
I've seen Stubjack on 2 origin paths so that's another connection point. Rulebook calls them Intersections.
Riegien
This took a bit longer to figure out than hoped.
Stats
[ Spoiler ]

Origin Path:
[ Spoiler ]

Background:
[ Spoiler ]
agustaaquila
Ok, and for one last person.

Stats
[ Spoiler ]

Path
[ Spoiler ]

History
[ Spoiler ]
LurkerOutThere
Cool, i'm glad and saddened that I won't have to NPC a navigator. Zyrene will be joining us soon hopefully with their character. I will begin posting the introduction and the opener tommorow night. While I encourage people to post once I have posted I'm not going to require and first posts until Sunday.
Zyerne
Background
[ Spoiler ]

Origin Path
[ Spoiler ]

Stats
[ Spoiler ]

Dice Rolls
[ Spoiler ]

Stats to be finalised as following a wounds roll of 1 I'm looking at getting a little more toughness. 7 wounds seems a little too fragile.
LurkerOutThere
Plans are always the first casualty. I had intended to start posting the introductions (including a formal explanation for why your character are there) last night. I even got done the one for our explorator but had to knock off for the night. I've also decided I will post them all at once so everyone can start play at once. Current goal is to have them done by tomorrow night or Saturday at the latest. Also of note i'm giving people rewards based on their backstory (and no ones backstory has been lacking by any means) so if you want to add more details or history feel free.
Drace
Hey, no worries, and real life is a bitch, so its all understandable. And if I get a chance, may add a bit more to mine
LurkerOutThere
Alright i got a brief IC note out to everyone detailing a little bit on why their serving with the RT house if they didn't give me an explicit reason. I also used this opportunity to plant a few story hooks and give out a few benes. I'm not even going to pretend their mechanically balanced but I tried to make them that way. I need to revise the opening post but I promise to get it up tommorow. Did I forget anyone who's given me a background already.

As a side note recruiting will probably always be open for this game as the nice thing about RT is new PC's can be inserted at any port or just rise to prominence from the rank and file crew while under way.
agustaaquila
Galen, do I need to roll against mutation for my new power?
LurkerOutThere
No, this ones a freebie.
Critias
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jan 23 2011, 06:53 AM) *
As a side note recruiting will probably always be open for this game as the nice thing about RT is new PC's can be inserted at any port or just rise to prominence from the rank and file crew while under way.

I'll be eagerly reading this game, partially to scratch my Warhammer 40k itch, and partially to keep an eye on when I might be able to submit a character. I've got a favorite DH character that I'd love to give some xp to in order to transfer over to RT...but I know how busy I'm gonna be for the first half of this semester, IRL. I don't want to bug Lurker with a character submission if I'm gonna then slow down the game by not being able to post very regularly.

In the meantime, though, I can at least read and enjoy. wink.gif
PBTHHHHT
Argh, sorry, was hit hard with work and wedding planning this past week. I'll get my seneschal up soon. Sorry, for not posting for a while.
LurkerOutThere
And we're live!

By the way PBTHHHHT, we can certainly have two seneschals as their one of those classes that canb e varied as all get out (well to be honest all the classes can be, it's one of the things I love about this game) but any chance you'd be willing to play something we don't have, especially like a missionary? Your call.

By the way this would be a good time for in character descriptions and introductions.
PBTHHHHT
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jan 24 2011, 01:58 AM) *
And we're live!

By the way PBTHHHHT, we can certainly have two seneschals as their one of those classes that canb e varied as all get out (well to be honest all the classes can be, it's one of the things I love about this game) but any chance you'd be willing to play something we don't have, especially like a missionary? Your call.

By the way this would be a good time for in character descriptions and introductions.

Oh, ok, sure, I can make a missionary. Not a problem actually. I'm making the character up right now.
PBTHHHHT
Ok, here's my missionary

Character Stats
[ Spoiler ]

Origin Path
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]
Zyerne
Background is up, along with a name.

I glossed over the actual daemon attack as Karoline's covered that in detail. I had sent her a PM asking for a change in Synthia's backstory but as she's (I think) sick, I've ammended Ysabell's to fit hers as it stands.
Karoline
Yes, I've been sick, but am finally a good deal better. Trying to catch up on stuff.
LurkerOutThere
I accidentally posted what i'd meant to post here in the IC thread so if you've looked recently look again at my last post. I've included some tests to be made if you care to. As an aside please use invisble castle for dice rolling and please put it in your IC posts unobtrusively, I dislike flipping back and forth between threads when trying to tell folks what happens. As today when the information be gleened from the test is more informational then strictly secret I've put it in spoiler text and will trust you all not to peek unless your skill roll earned it.

As a last aside if at any point you ever want to roll something go ahead and do so rather then ask permission, worst that will happen is i'll just tell you it's not applicable. Your roleplay of the situation may help convince me.

We've just about got everyone set so i'm giving a few a chance to hammer some backstory stuff out as we continue. As an aside you'll usually only ever see posts from me of any length in the evenings/late nights as I work stupid hours and I can't access dumpshock from work.
Karoline
@Tanegar - Not to be a stick in the mud, but isn't a Magos like one of the top people in the Machine Cult? I ask because my 40k lore isn't that great, but I'd gotten the impression that if you were a Magos you were basically in charge of a forge world or fairly close.
Karoline
Wow, that took forever to write. A combination of me being tired and me having to go back and change her speech pattern quite a bit. Had her talking more like a little noble than a ratting.
LurkerOutThere
If ya'lls rolls so far are any indication I'm gonna speed a fair amount of time cackling evily.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Karoline @ Jan 26 2011, 01:21 AM) *
@Tanegar - Not to be a stick in the mud, but isn't a Magos like one of the top people in the Machine Cult? I ask because my 40k lore isn't that great, but I'd gotten the impression that if you were a Magos you were basically in charge of a forge world or fairly close.

I was going to have Hakkonen be an Explorator-Adept, but Lurker promoted him to Magos. I'm pretty sure you're right: an Explorator-Magos should be in charge of a fleet or at least his own ship, but I'm not going to make a huge issue of it.
LurkerOutThere
It seemed reasonable to me if he's going to be in charge of any other cultists attached to the ship/fleet.

Plus if he's not worthy of the title he can be recycled into a servitor smile.gif

with the self imposed exception of your own character Karoline your all pretty reasonably impressive movers in your own circle.
LurkerOutThere
......tired...braindead....will post more tommorow and get presents out to the late comers.
Zyerne
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jan 27 2011, 12:16 AM) *
If ya'lls rolls so far are any indication I'm gonna speed a fair amount of time cackling evily.

It would seem scrutiny isn't a strong point amongst starting characters.

As to rank, both Augustian and Ysabell are fairly junior in their respective services, Naval Lieutenant and Guard Captain being roughly the same rank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012