Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matrix team runs
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
WolfJack
I did some, brief, checking through other threads and haven't seen this covered. I know that Matrix clearly states that multiple users in a system all get their own security tallies, Matrix p. 110, but I haven't found anything that deals with two or more deckers working co-operatively.

Example:
Decker A and Decker B log into an Orange host looking for paydata. Decker A handles all the Locate paydata operations while Decker B watches his back for IC. Decker A find the paydata but raises his security tally enough to set off a Blaster IC.

The question: Can Decker B see the Blaster IC, react to and attack the IC??

Also, for clarification, Decker B would have to make Null operation tests while in the host, yes? How often would he make a Null operation test; every time Decker A makes a test, every X rounds, every X minutes, whenever the GM feels like it?

Any help is greatly appreciated. If there are no set rules for the above, what are the majority of feelings from everyone?

-Wolf
mfb
decker B would be allowed to make the usual Sensor test to notice a new icon, when the IC activated. if decker A is getting messed up, he can make a Locate IC operation to find the IC.

decker B would make a Null Ops test just before taking his action.
BitBasher
The problem that makes that not so useful is there is a single security tally that accumulates for both of them, they do not each get their own. By the virtue of both of them just being there it's going to be more difficult.
WolfJack
BitBasher, according to Matrix p. 110:
"Note that user icons generate individual security tallies. For example, if multiple
deckers are hacking a host, each decker’s icon generates its own separate security tally."

So that means that Decker A may have a tally of 10 and a Blaster on him but Decker B might have a tally of 2. Matrix goes on to say that each decker also gets a new copy of whatever IC is appropriate for their security tally. The only that that is across the board is a passive alert.

As another part of this question. Would Decker B be able to see his partner, Decker A, engaged in some kind of battle and if so would he be able to get some kind of bonus to his Sensor test to spot the newly triggered IC??

Re-reading Matrix, (p. 71 & 72) I think I have answered my own question. A BattleTac Matrixlink seems to be the best answer for team missions. According to the description it allows all connected team members to know the status of any user and his cyberterminal, as well as any information acquired through the use of sensor programs, system operations and so on. Information is instantly transmitted to other users who are part of the BattleTac network.
Dashifen
Yes, by my understanding you have answered your own question. With a Matrixlink setup, the deckers will be aware of each others information. I have also used the following concepts: if both deckers succeed in a Loctate Decker operation, usually with a modified TN to make the test easier becuase they know there's another decker in the system, then they can be aware of each other. Then, they can communicate using the make comcall operation. I would rule that any deckers using the same deck (via hitcher jacks or trode rigs) automatically get to see and communicate with each other because they're both working off the same system, too.
Cray74
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Yes, by my understanding you have answered your own question.  With a Matrixlink setup, the deckers will be aware of each others information.  I have also used the following concepts:  if both deckers succeed in a Loctate Decker operation, usually with a modified TN to make the test easier becuase they know there's another decker in the system, then they can be aware of each other.  Then, they can communicate using the make comcall operation.  I would rule that any deckers using the same deck (via hitcher jacks or trode rigs) automatically get to see and communicate with each other because they're both working off the same system, too.

Hmm.

QUOTE (WolfJack)
Re-reading Matrix, (p. 71 & 72) I think I have answered my own question. A BattleTac Matrixlink seems to be the best answer for team missions. According to the description it allows all connected team members to know the status of any user and his cyberterminal, as well as any information acquired through the use of sensor programs, system operations and so on. Information is instantly transmitted to other users who are part of the BattleTac network

MatrixLink...BattleTac MatrixLink...HitcherJacks and 'trodes...

If a couple (or more) deckers were in the same room, all running on their own decks and with independent Matrix connections, the only way they could share information (status, acquired data, system ops, etc.) would be over the Matrix?

It'd seem like you could somehow connect the decks together directly, like a variant of hitcherjacks, without going through the Matrix first.
gknoy
And then there's the case where an Otaku tribe is making a run on some host - I'm sure they don't all take turns, but rather work together (barring ego-related "I'm going solo!" attitudes). It might just be that their skill lets them succeed at the tests to notice the other deckers and icons;

I like the idea of having a TN reduction on Locating a friendly decker if you know she's in the system. You know they're there, chances are you're specifically not hiding from each other.

Also, I imagine that two icons could probably choose to share a security tally -- I'm sure the host wouldn't mind gettign to throw more IC at the loitering decker wink.gif

Speaking ofwhich ... is there a Loiter utility that lets you make null ops more easily? wink.gif
Firewall
I would assume that the trick to seeing one another is not actually seeing the icon, but identifying it as the decker. If you have an oriental persona in a camelot setting, I would say that you stick out like a sore thumb.
I mean, if you have utility programs running around, you would make a perception roll to see the one that is not carrying scrolls and then work out what it is doing (and more importantly, what the metaphor stands for)

So I would rule that deckers who know one another's icons would be able to identify them. But that is personal choice...
WolfJack
QUOTE (gknoy)
Speaking ofwhich ... is there a Loiter utility that lets you make null ops more easily? wink.gif

Yes, actually. wink.gif

Your pal and mine, Deception.

-Wolf
mfb
friendly deckers may identify eachother automatically.
gknoy
QUOTE (WolfJack)
QUOTE (gknoy)

Yes, actually. wink.gif

Your pal and mine, Deception.

:doh:

I KNEW it was something like that, I just couldn't remember what it was called. I feel like a heel for even asking, when I could just have looked it up once I got home [and ordered a copy of Matrix since I only have VR2]. Thanks smile.gif

Deception and a high DF ... *chants mantra* I have a long way to go before i'll be a good decker, hehe.
toturi
Otaku tribes on a Matrix warpath is a terrifying sight.
mfb
heh, they can be, but not every time. i recently had a Dissonant tribe run through one of the message boards at Shadowland--three otaku and two daemons. i started out playing it soft because i didn't want to kill anybody. unfortunately, both daemons and the most combatworthy otaku were taken out before i got my second actions.

i do love me some otaku for cybercombat, though. a starting-level otaku will whup the sheet-far out of any decker under about 200k earned nuyen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012