Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chase Combat
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
klinktastic
Hey all, I've never done a chase scene with bikers involved. Just want to make sure I apply the correct rules for it.

Range modifiers dictated by engagement range: short, medium, long, extreme - pretty basic.

Attacker in moving vehicle = -3 to dice pool

Defender inside moving vehicle = + 3 to dodge pool

My question is, a dude on a motorcycle isn't technically inside of a moving vehicle, he's on top of it and fairly exposed. Would they be eligible to receive this bonus? Just wondering what others have done.

Also, when performing stunts, if the stunt calls for an opposed roll, is that roll subject to all the modifiers (-2 per enemy vehicle, +2 per friendly, +/- diffference in speed)? Or are those modifiers exlusively for the opposed roll to determine who decides engagement range?

Thanks for the thoughts and comments.
Faraday
No significant coverage? No defense bonus. This is why the Horizon Revolution is nice, it'll give you real cover. If they're moving relative to you (gaining, dropping away, going around, whatever), the defender could receive the "target running" defense bonus, however, since it's harder to hit a moving target.

On top of this, peg someone driving a motorcycle (especially if it isn't equipped with a gyroscope) with an electrical round/taser. If they don't make the Body+Willpower (3) test to resist the incapacitating effect, they immediately fall. At vehicle chase speeds. Mwuahahhaha. ^_^
klinktastic
Good stuff. Do the bikers actually get a defense roll? Or is the cumulative -3 (-3 from attacker in moving vee) I know if you're attacking the vehicle, they get reaction + pilot +/- handling. However if you're attacking the dude, do they get at least a reaction? I'm assuming they do.

They do have to ues their complex action to drive or risk going out of control and crashing. So they won't get a full dodge, but they do get a +2 to compensate.
sabs
The Biker as a defender would get the +3 to dodge, because it's dodge. Not Cover/Soak/Armor.

If you're making a called shot for the dude, they still get reaction+handling+vehicle skill.
You can't hit the guy, if he and the whole vehicle gets out of your way.

klinktastic
Ah, I found it here.

In the attacks against vehicles section:

The defender gets reaction + handling. They can elect to 'evasive drive' which uses a complex action and counts as a full defense.

The attacker can choose to shoot either the vehicle or the passenger (both for wide bursts or explosives). Supposedly, passengers are considers to have "Good Cover", which obviously applies to vehicles were you are actually inside the vehicle. However, they suffer a -2 to dodging because they are hampered by sitting in there.

So I'm confused, do you get two defensive rolls? One reaction + handling for the vehicle, and then another reaction for your personal dodge? Seems kind of wierd. Would those rolls stack? Or be separate?

sabs
They would be seperate.

Reaction+handling vs attack = defender wins, total miss, defender loses then you go with next defender roll.

reaction - 2 +4 (good cover) vs previously rolled attack

then for soaking:
Defender body+armor+vehicle armor

On a side note, I think I found one of the most stupid statements ever made in a shadowrun book.

Evasive driving cannot be used against ramming attacks.

SQUEEZE ME? W.T.F. Who writes this shit.
klinktastic
On a motorcycle, I'd argue nix the good cover, but give partial cover? So basically reaction + 2 - 2. I mean, there has to be a disadvantage to not having the frame of a car round you.
sabs
Partial Cover would be alright. Course, motorcycles should have much better handling than they do.
Doc Chase
QUOTE (klinktastic @ Jan 4 2011, 06:26 PM) *
On a motorcycle, I'd argue nix the good cover, but give partial cover? So basically reaction + 2 - 2. I mean, there has to be a disadvantage to not having the frame of a car round you.

The chief disadvantage of a motorcycle is that crashes at speed are generally fatal, and quite painful for the rider even if they aren't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012