Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers and Rigging
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Elfenlied
Hello all,
trying to create a Rigging Technomancer, and was wondering what I'd need to make it work. Thus far, what I've got is:

CFs: ECCM 6, Analyze 6, Stealth 6, Smartlink
Drones: 1x Ford LEBD, 1x Steel Lynx, 1x Federated Boeing Kull, 1x Rover 2068

What else do I need (CFs, Drones, other gear I might have missed)? Also, how viable is a rigging Technomancer anyway?
WyldKnight
Will probably need Command, you're going to need Agents as machine sprites aren't up to the task, and you should probably stick to one type of drone so you need less mechanical skills and equipment. Sucks when your LEBD goes down but you don't have an Aeronautics shop to fix it, only an Aeronautics kit and Automotive shop.
SpellBinder
Command and Encrypt complex forms as well, I'd think, and maybe might save SmartLink for that first two karma earned and use the BP for 5,000 nuyen.gif of extra gear instead (you can always thread SmartLink for only 1 hit on your first run if you absolutely feel you'll need it).

Might also want to consider a Hermes Delivery Van (Arsenal, page 110) as a way to get around. Can haul and deploy/recover some of your drones easily, unless you'll be tricking the Rover 2068 out to do this instead (Arsenal, pages 134-135 for info on Drone Racks). Will also be better able to carry around your necessary tool kits to fix your drones away from home if need be.

Might even consider a GMC-Nissan Doberman (cheaper, smaller, and less conspicuous than a Steel Lynx and it too can use a gun just as well), and in the way of gun toting drones don't forget you'll need to buy their guns. Would consider firearms with a SmartGun and additional clip options added to them for better aim and the option to load lethal and non-lethal ammo in the same drone.
Sengir
- Some kind of van
- FlySpy or two, with tricked-out sensors
- Unless your game has a definite pink mohawk angle, take the Doberman over the Steel Lynx
- Shield and/or Armor CF. Because it's your brain that takes any matrix damage
- The rules for how agents and sprites interact with drones have more holes than the far end of a firing range. Talk to your GM about what is rolled when before you get started, my rule is that Machine Sprites simply replace the drone's Pilot rating with their own.
Omenowl
Make sure you have a technomancer contact preferably with a good connection and loyalty. Will let you learn some complex forms on the side or you may wish to get a nice group of technomancers for contacts. A good connection rating and a loyalty of 4 for the group would work nicely as well as submersion group.

5 connection
+1 for members 2-19
+2 Sprawl Wide area of influence
+2 Broad reaching matrix resources.

14 build points total that will be the best you probably ever spent.

Also if you are min-maxing then you may want to get as many complex forms as possible to maximize your BP vs. karma ratio. Each 6 rating is 6 BPs or 22 Karma.
Elfenlied
Well, we're playing Karmagen, so it doesn't really matter how I buy my CFs, as long as I buy the correct ones. Will take the Doberman and the Group Connection though, they look nice. Will the Rover 2068 suffice as a van, or should I get another one?
Udoshi
QUOTE (Omenowl @ Jan 6 2011, 07:26 PM) *
Make sure you have a technomancer contact preferably with a good connection and loyalty. Will let you learn some complex forms on the side or you may wish to get a nice group of technomancers for contacts. A good connection rating and a loyalty of 4 for the group would work nicely as well as submersion group.

I strongly advocate a free sprite and a technomancer network contact, for submersion discounts. See unwired for details.

You likely want some amount of Encrypt and Decrypt.
Yerameyahu
The super-Command trick is also super-lame, but it works. smile.gif It's not *required*, though. You can rig as a Technomancer in all the normal ways.
Udoshi
Agreed. It may also be worth investing in a point of ware. PuSHeD and logic-nanites help with hacking, and a control rig does stack with your rigging echoes.
WyldKnight
Last time I checked logic nanites only work in non stressful situations. Wouldn't most hacks be stressful? I guess if you're hacking an easy system no but on average that bonus isn't going to be there much.
Elfenlied
About Drone armament: I was thinking about an Ares Alpha with Sound Suppressor for most normal missions, and Parashield Dart weapons for nonlethal ones. Maybe a Ruger 100 for fire support on the LEBD. What would you guys recommend?
Yerameyahu
There's a thread with a big argument about that, WyldKnight, but it's honestly a GM call. Any good GM would decide it based on balance and circumstances. smile.gif

Depending on the recoil rules you're using, most 'fire support' drones should simply have (L)MGs, except for the need to silence them. smile.gif For nonlethal, I think S&S is a bit better, but it's up to you.
Elfenlied
We're using "weapon's base recoil compensation" + "drone body rating" for RC. The only MG that would fit would be the White Knight.
Yerameyahu
Probably the sanest rules to use, just checking. smile.gif The White Knight is the obvious choice, of course, but don't forget that you don't have to use 10 bullets anyway. RC for Long Bursts is usually easy to get, and you still get the big ammo reserves and slight range bump. Suppression Fire is handy. Anyway, just a thought. Drones basically can't reload, so it can be a pain for some of the 'people' weapons without mods.
Seth
ill probably need Command, you're going to need Agents as machine sprites aren't up to the task

Machine sprites have been (more than) up to the task in the games I run. What am I missing that you think makes them rubbish?
Udoshi
QUOTE (WyldKnight @ Jan 6 2011, 09:24 PM) *
Last time I checked logic nanites only work in non stressful situations. Wouldn't most hacks be stressful? I guess if you're hacking an easy system no but on average that bonus isn't going to be there much.

This is true. You may be able to get around it with a Reality Filter: Focus, which you could learn as a complex form. Thats open to your GM's interpretation, however.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Jan 6 2011, 09:25 PM) *
About Drone armament: I was thinking about an Ares Alpha with Sound Suppressor for most normal missions, and Parashield Dart weapons for nonlethal ones. Maybe a Ruger 100 for fire support on the LEBD. What would you guys recommend?

Dartguns are terrible. They're Exotic weapons, right?
That means another new Autosoft.

No, take a look in Arsenal and find Capsule bullets. Mix up some narcojet, DMSO, and capsule bullets and you've basically got yourself a better, automatic dartgun. With a huge range.

In general, you want to go with one weapon type, so you don't need tons of autosofts. Anything with a belt feed(if you're using arsenal's weapon mounts) to take advantage of the extra ammo is a good choice, but so is the alpha.

You should also look at putting a smartlink on your drones cameras, and smartgun systems on the drone guns. Don't forget you can also modify the guns that go onto drones. My rigger used alphas with Additional Clips to carry both lethal and nonlethal loads at the same time. I Believe it was stick'n'shocks and APDS.

Mr. Unpronounceable
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 7 2011, 07:41 PM) *
Dartguns are terrible. They're Exotic weapons, right?
That means another new Autosoft.

Shouldn't think so - any gun fired from a drone uses gunnery. (IIRC)
SpellBinder
Only if the drone's dog brain is not the one doing the firing; jumped-in it's Sensor or by remote control it's Command + Gunnery. Otherwise it's Pilot + Targeting where the Targeting is an Autosoft program of the appropriate skill type. Going with Targeting (Automatics) is best to give a wide range of weapons. On the plus side, a rating 3 autosoft (automatically included with most armed drones) is a mere 1,500 nuyen.gif , where a rating 4 jumps to a walloping 4,000 nuyen.gif .

Also, check with your GM to see if a drone needs a SmartLink in its sensors or not, as there has been some debate as to whether or not drones need one to get a SmartGun bonus. Even if he/she does, an extra 450 nuyen.gif spent (figuring in the addition of an over/under barrel mounted SmartGun, if it's not already included with the weapon like an Ares Alpha) to get a +2 DP bonus to shooting is much better than 2,500 nuyen.gif to get only +1.
WyldKnight
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 7 2011, 04:14 AM) *
Machine sprites have been (more than) up to the task in the games I run. What am I missing that you think makes them rubbish?

They only get 1 autosoft per 3 ratings. Without that they're just throwing what? 4 maybe 5 dice? An agent on the other hand can get all the progs they need not to mention they can run program clusters to save room. Agent's just seem to do a better job at running a drone. Maybe you can make the drone and gun two separate parts with an agent in the drone node but a sprite in the gun node. That could add an extra layer of security in a way. Someone takes the drone but realizes they can't fire the gun.
Udoshi
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jan 7 2011, 01:38 PM) *
Also, check with your GM to see if a drone needs a SmartLink in its sensors or not,

The rules are very clear - to gain the bonus, you need both a smartlink and a smartgun system to get the whole +2.
The question for your GM is whether or not you can put a smartlink on a camera, but whether it needs to take an accessory slot to put an image link there first.

On the other hand, Top-mount Laser Sight accessories are a rather cheap alternative.

QUOTE (Mr. Unpronounceable @ Jan 7 2011, 12:27 PM) *
Shouldn't think so - any gun fired from a drone uses gunnery. (IIRC)

I wish it were that simple. Sadly, as pointed out above, Targeting autosofts don't work that way.
.... unless, is there any reason you can't take an autosoft for Targeting: Gunnery?
WyldKnight
Because they specifically work for a weapon. Gunnery is not a weapon.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 7 2011, 03:44 PM) *
The question for your GM is whether or not you can put a smartlink on a camera, but whether it needs to take an accessory slot to put an image link there first.
Hmm, I thought the discussions here were different. Maybe I was wrong on that. Either way, there's still a question on the necessity of a piece of gear to check on.
Ryu
You should use Pilot Programs under the supervision/matrix defense of sprites for piloting. Load up on the autosofts for the Pilot.

I would recommend to walk the spider route, focussing on stuff like Mechanics skills and Perception and gearhead connections instead of Gunnery and Vehicle Skills.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012