Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Less ridiculous names for SR: German
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
raben-aas
So, to get productive and to provide future generations of SR authors with a ready resource of less-ridiculous names, let's pool some ideas. And if you are an author or just a fan that is looking for yet anouther Boschist Krautesque Evil Zounding German Name, feel free to post it and let the DS guys who are from Germany decide if the name is utter crap or not.

For starters, here are some names for military stuff(mostly) military stuff, just named after critters (all real canonical German critter names):

– Todesklapper (Deathrattle)
– Hundsviper (Dog Asp)
– Nachtmanta (Night Manta, listed here because you should NOT use it, as a Manta is a well known/laughed at type of car)
– Teufelshecht (Devil Jack Diamond, the name has a little outdated ring to it, as a "Teufelskerl" and a "Toller Hecht" are/were names for brave/crazy soldiers and other "heroes" who had success against all odds)
– Teufelsmanta (Devil Fish, see "manta" above)
– Torpedohai (torpedo shark)
– Dämonenratte, Teufelsratte (demon rat, devil rat)
– Fenriswolf (fenrir wolf, a GREAT name for any kind of military vehicle)
– Höllenhund (hellhound, another great name)
– Hornbär (horned bear, could be the name of a heavily armored, dead-ugly tank or transport)
– Nebelluchs (Mist lynx, should be the name of a tank as German panzers have a tradition of being called Luchs, Leopard etc.)
– Schattenhund (shadow hound)
– Taliskatze (talis cat)
– Augentöter (Eyekiller, maybe a name for a sniper rifle)
– Dämmereule (Gloaming Owl, maybe a name for a drone)
– Donnervogel (Thunderbird, most def. a vectored thrust vehicle or a jet)
– Feuervogel (Firebird, maybe a lighter variant of the Donnervogel by the same manufacturer)
– Schreckhahn (Cockatrice)
– Sturmkrähe (Storm Crow, should be an "advance position" (recon) vehicle as storm crows announce the soon arrival of a storm (main attack force or bombing))
– Merlinfalke (Merlin Falcon, a fast and maneuverable attack plane/jet ore drone)
– Novaskorpion (Nova scorpion)
– Krake (Kraken)
– Kludde (yeah, that one)

Please ignore all names that have been already used, I didn't check my books first.
Other naming ideas:

Medieval War:
– Hellebarde (Halberd)
– Streitkolben (Mace)
– Streitaxt (Combat Axe)
– Morgenstern (Morning Star)

BTW: ALL names posted here are free for the taking! No copyright issues!
Stahlseele
Most of those Animal/Critter-Names up there suck in my eyes <.<
Furthermore, some of those names have been used for battletech Mechs allready too.
Adarael
I support the use of "Reitschwert" as the name of some variety of fast attack craft.
Medicineman
QUOTE (Adarael @ Jan 7 2011, 01:42 PM) *
I support the use of "Reitschwert" as the name of some variety of fast attack craft.

and Breitschwert (Broadsword) for the heavier Variant

He who dances to Jethro Tull
Medicineman
Adarael
Ahh, exactly! biggrin.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jan 7 2011, 07:45 PM) *
and Breitschwert (Broadsword) for the heavier Variant

Problem is that many readers would probably think the "Reitschwert" is just a mispelled "Breitschwert". Like many old weapon terms, Reitschwert is not exactly a household term anymore.

And I'd strike the Todesklapper from the list because official tanslation or not, it sounds bad nevertheless. "Todesrassler" or something would be far better IMO, and also preserve the allusion to the breathing sound.

PS: I think Augentöter is already taken, not sure though.
Adarael
I don't think it's necessarily "end of line" if something is already taken. Add a numberical value after it. The US has had the P-47 Thunderbolt and the A-10 Thunderbolt II, after all. And there's the P-38 Lightning, vs the F-35 Lightning II. Especially if it's a *cool* name.
Doc Chase
For anyone that's played the Mud and Blood flash game, the Wespe should readily come to mind.
Stahlseele
No, Todesrassler would not be better than Todesklapper.
They are both not really good.
StealthSigma
Krimsonhengst

Geölterblitz
Stahlseele
You're doing that on purpose aren't you? O.o
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 7 2011, 03:46 PM) *
You're doing that on purpose aren't you? O.o

Suggestion #1 - No

Suggestion #2 - Yes

However, from what I recall about German pronunciation, #2 doesn't sound half bad.
Stahlseele
Well, 1 is just wrong.
Krimson is not a german word.
That's the engrish word Crimson with a K instead of the c.
And it is thus a mix between WRONG engrish and german.

And 2 is only wrong because there's a space missing between geölter and blitz.
Yerameyahu
Nothing wrong with wrong, of course.
Stahlseele
It's kinda like Wyld Stallyns i think . .
StealthSigma
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 7 2011, 04:31 PM) *
Well, 1 is just wrong.
Krimson is not a german word.
That's the engrish word Crimson with a K instead of the c.
And it is thus a mix between WRONG engrish and german.

And 2 is only wrong because there's a space missing between geölter and blitz.

#2 was a joke. smile.gif
Stahlseele
And still your joke was less wrong than the other one O.o
and it would work for super cavitating torpedoes for example.
raben-aas
Re: The critter names:

No, I don't like them all, too. But given the fact that they have been around for 20+ years ingame, I find them a fair pick (I can deal with dead-stupid sounding names in the German language, as this happens all the time).

On the other hand, I am one of maybe seven persons in Germany who didn't get into cramps when Feder & Schwert called Obfuscate Verdunkelung...
hermit
Geölter Blitz - an old-fashioned and too colloquial phrase. Kugelblitz, Donnerblitz or something like that might work for a missile though.

I don't think it's necessarily "end of line" if something is already taken. Add a numberical value after it. The US has had the P-47 Thunderbolt and the A-10 Thunderbolt II, after all. And there's the P-38 Lightning, vs the F-35 Lightning II. Especially if it's a *cool* name.

There's the Leopard, and then there's the Leopard II ...

Doc Byte
Just a little thought about ships: We abandoned naming ships for persons after WWII. There won't be another 'Bismarck' or 'Admiral Graf Spee' around but you might stumble over a frigate named 'Berlin' or 'Hamburg' in SR.
hermit
Cities/states/regions/geography are fair game, persons are generally out.

Though there was a battlecruiser named after a person in the GSB ...
Medicineman
....oO(how about a ...U.S.S "Dunkelzahn" ??....maybe the first submersible Aircraftcarrier...?)

With a thoughtfull Dance
Medicienman
Stahlseele
The BIGGER D?
hermit
The USS Dunkelzahn would be perfectly in line with the American naming convention for aircraft carriers (former presidents).
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jan 8 2011, 01:47 AM) *
....oO(how about a ...U.S.S "Dunkelzahn" ??....maybe the first submersible Aircraftcarrier...?)

With a thoughtfull Dance
Medicienman

Nah, that Iron Vulture flying submersible walking aircraft carrier from the other thread.

-k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012