Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suggested Availability
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
theartthief
Just wanted to get some feedback and ideas on something that occured to me while driving to work this morning.

Let's say a group of runners wants to have a mobile command center with a triage unit and some B/R shops in it. Could you convert an old school bus (or similar vehicle) for this purpose?

This brings up some other questions:

1. What is the availability / price of an old school bus?

2. Are there rules printed up somewhere reguarding this level of vehicle "customization"?

3. What would an episode of Road Rules look like in 2060? grinbig.gif

Thanks,

- theartthief
Limping Jacob
1. Consult your local Rat Shaman or other junkyard-dweller-type contact. School buses aren't illegal or uncommon. So maybe 1 or so? 5000-20000 nuyen.gif , depending on condition? I say wing it.

2. Check whatever rigger book is compatible with your edition of Shadowrun. Or wing it.

3. BAD.
BitBasher
I believe a single shop when stored can fit in a van, but that's packed up, and you cannot use it that way. Theres no way several shops would be usable in a bus. Heck, the space necessary for medical treatment gear will suck up a big part of that.

But lately my ability to supply accurate information is something like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. I really need to unpack my books.
Herald of Verjigorm
Rigger 3 size definitions:
Shop: 52 cf, 250kg (that's 6.5 cubic meters find a bus and compare)

That is the weight and size for one shop. Multiple shop like units would each take as much space and weight.

This is in the vehicle design section, but shop costs are defined as "cost of shop," so just double the normal shop price to add one to an already existing vehicle (house suggestion).
Fahr
something like a GMC4201 might be big enough for what you want to do - and would likely be the basis of a bus chasis

for a bus type vehicle designed by the rules... I can work one up tonight...

-Mike R.
BitBasher
Herald, im pretty sure that's 52cf stored, not ready to use though...
TechnoDruid
Also, take a look at the People Space Requirement table on pg 120 R3. That may help walk you through, giving you a better guidline to make an educated GM decision (law). biggrin.gif
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (BitBasher)
Herald, im pretty sure that's 52cf stored, not ready to use though...

Find the line, what I read didn't specify (not that I read it in great detail). It was right with the facilities (200cf for computing, 300cf for regular, 500cf for vehicle) and I don't think those rules are for packed up facilities but for ready to use moble facilities.

I am pretty sure the packed up rules are elsewhere and come out to lower cf usage, but I can not at this moment remember which book to scrounge through to find that.
BitBasher
Yeah, I'd love to but my books are in a box. Admittedly the box is in my livingroom but I havent unpacked them after my last move. Standard disclaimer: I may be wrong, as of course I have proven numerous times lately.
Herald of Verjigorm
Ah, the stuff is in R3 on page 120. My listed costs are for the tools, while there is a chart (on the same page) that shows how much extra space and load is taken up to actually use the shop.

1 patient in a medical bay takes 162 cf and at least 350 kg. That is on top of the shop or facility costs to have all the neccessary tools and work surfaces (or whatever).
Jpwoo
I would think that putting that much stuff in a bus is just asking to get all your stuff taken away from you.

GM's feel bad about killing people, but they take great pleasure in wrecking cars.
RangerJoe
Maybe the solution is to have some intermediate value between shop and kit. Generally speaking, a kit is the kind of tools you carry with you, whereas a shop is the class of tools that fits in a room (or two). I can see a bus tricked out with a couple of work benches, some bolted on displays and computers, and a compressed air system. That way your GM will give you the tools available (kit) bonus, as well as the excellent working conditions (well lit, stable if not moving, etc.) bonus to b/r tests. Does this seem reasonable?
Method

If you want a more multipurpose B/R shop you wouldn't nessisarily need all those extra tools. There would be a great deal of overlap (a screwdriver in a firearms B/R shop is the same a screwdriver in a vehicel B/R shop... you get my drift). I would reduce the space / cost of each additional B/R "shop" by, say, 75% to account for this overlap, as really all you would need to add is whatever specialized tools the second or third "shop" requires.

And as for triage, if you can find/afford a Valkryie (sp?) module its really the only space efficient way to go.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Jpwoo)
I would think that putting that much stuff in a bus is just asking to get all your stuff taken away from you.

GM's feel bad about killing people, but they take great pleasure in wrecking cars.

Really this sounds like a CLUE file waiting to happen here. "Not satisfied with the visability and style of driving around a black van with painted/tinted windows, this runner group decided that they wanted to drive around in a heavy-laden bus with painted/tinted windows, setting off the spider-senses of every Lone Star cop in a twenty-mile radius." biggrin.gif

It's a fun idea, and a funnier image ("Quick! To the Runner-mobile!"). If it were me as GM, though, I'd let them build the thing, pack anything in there they could possibly want, then show them how dumb of an idea it is by pulling them over every half-mile nyahnyah.gif What's the Concealability of a converted, heavy-laden school bus with tinted (or worse, *untinted*) windows anyway? Around -47?
BitBasher
What's the Concealability of a converted, heavy-laden school bus with tinted (or worse, *untinted*) windows anyway? Around -47?
The tinted windows thing means frag in SR, as by canon every single vehicle comes standard with tinted windows that you cannot see through from the outside.
theartthief
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

It's a fun idea, and a funnier image ("Quick! To the Runner-mobile!"). If it were me as GM, though, I'd let them build the thing, pack anything in there they could possibly want, then show them how dumb of an idea it is by pulling them over every half-mile nyahnyah.gif What's the Concealability of a converted, heavy-laden school bus with tinted (or worse, *untinted*) windows anyway? Around -47?

ROTFL!!!! rotfl.gif

Really, I laughed so hard that my side and lungs were hurting. My wife just didn't get it. TNs mean nothing to her anyway. I haven't managed to get her hooked on SR yet. I hadn't thought that the "Runner Mobile" would be so funny, yet it is. OUCH, side hurts from just thinking about it.

Actually, my idea was more along the lines of one or two beds, with a med kit + and a B/R shop for electronics OR guns OR etc.

This would have fit in with our longest running campaign in college which included a hermetic mage pimp who had five friends for life (his prostitutes) and a shapeshifting ferret shaman (GM's fiancee).

- theartthief
Drain Brain
Funny, all I can think of is the cybered Troll sitting up front in a linen shirt, grinning, singing "We're all going on a Summer Holiday" Cliff Richard Stylee...
Aesir
This could work with the concept of runners hiding in plain sight, like described in 'Shadowbeat'. Maybe they have their own TV-show? A childrens show perhaps. 'Jolly Runners and the Magic School Buss'. Granted, it would require a less than serious campain setting. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012