Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removed Trigger FCU cost
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Thistledown
Something that's always bothered me about cannon companion. Under firearm custimization, it lists removing the trigger as having an FCU value of -.5 (_r_). I've always thought this was an error, since removing the trigger should give you more room, not less, but the errata doesn't mention it. I would think that any room needed is already taken care of by the smartlink system needed. Does anybody have any idea why it's listed this way?

The (_r_) also means if its attached to a mounting point instead of a permanent fixture it takes no room. How do you have a temporarily removed trigger? indifferent.gif

Edit: (_r_) was writing as ®.
Limping Jacob
Even if it used a smartlink the gun would still need some mechanical component to make the firing pin hit the igniter on the bullet's propellant, but I wouldn't think that would take up as much space as a normal trigger. If anything, you'd break even, space-wise. So that sounds like a typo to me.
Kagetenshi
I noticed that a while back. Never did properly figure it out...

~J
mcb
It made sense to me. I figure that you remove the physical trigger and replace it with some type of actuator that would disegage the sear when commanded thru a smart link. It seems reasonalble that this actuator and the control and power links would take up more room then the relativel simple mechanical trigger that is tied to the sear.
Kagetenshi
Impossible. You can fire any smartlinked gun without actually pulling the trigger, so the removal of said trigger should not require any further equipment.

~J
mcb
Got me then. Maybe the FCU cost should only apply for removing the trigger from a non internal smartlinked gun?
Kagetenshi
Hm. That could actually make sense. I personally hate external smartlinks, so it hadn't even occurred to me to take them into account. Seems kinda limiting, though; a gun that can only fire when an external accessory is mounted?

~J
spotlite
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Hm. That could actually make sense. I personally hate external smartlinks, so it hadn't even occurred to me to take them into account. Seems kinda limiting, though; a gun that can only fire when an external accessory is mounted?

~J

Well now, that depends - how are you marketing your gun?

"got Kids? Try the latest from AresArms, with removable trigger for the ultimate in firearms safety!"

I can see a demographic you could sell that to - after all, trigger guards are so last century....
Kagetenshi
A removable trigger that could be put back into place, yes.
The target audience for what you're talking about won't be implanting smartlinks in their body much, I think.

~J
spotlite
QUOTE (Thistledown @ Mar 17 2004, 06:45 AM)
(emphasis mine)

The (_r_) also means if its attached to a mounting point instead of a permanent fixture it takes no room.  How do you have a temporarily removed trigger? indifferent.gif

Edit:  (_r_) was writing as ®.

I was basing what I said on this - if it takes no room, its a removable, replacable, but still funcitonal trigger. So it would work marketing wise. To just remove a trigger so you could fire it cybernetically brings us back to that argument about the electronic components being more bulky than the simple mechanical mechanism.

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, anyway?

Anyway, question - what about designing or modifying cyberguns? Or do you just follow the 'heavy pistol takes up x ECU' rule regardless of the specific gun or mods?
Kagetenshi
The electronic components are more bulky. It's just that they're already present in a Smartlinked gun, so removing the trigger ought to either reduce the amount of stuff present or leave it unchanged, not increase it.

~J
spotlite
Then I think its one to point out to Fan Pro for the Errata, cos you're right, that doesn't add up.
A Clockwork Lime
FCU also seem to represent "limiting your ass so you don't cram too much crap in a gun," even though I'm not particularly fond of that mentality. I mean, simply replacing metal parts with ceramic parts take up a huge amount of space (up to 0.75 ECU for Ceramic Components 3). And whether you're adding length or shortening a barrel, you lose 0.5 FCU -- unless you saw it off, at which point you lose no space. Yet oddly enough, making the weapon smaller for a dwarf or larger for a troll doesn't change the amount of space available.

There's a lot of odd things about the CC's creation rules, but overall they tend to do a decent job at limiting what you do with a firearm. The Remove Trigger option is, indeed, a baffling one, but so are a couple others as previously mentioned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012