Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: First Run
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Panticles
Color Guidelines:
Location/Time stamp is BOLD ORANGE(#FFA500)
Speech is CYAN and inside ""(#00FFFF)
Names are to be in BOLD
Thoughts are in ITALICS
Texting/Matrix actions are YELLOW(#FFFF00)
Astral actions are VIOLET(#DDA0DD)

Dice Rolling:
Just in case I forgot to mention, all dicerolls are to be done on Invisible Castle and posted in the OOC thread. Remember that the syntax for standard rolls is Xd6.hits(5), with 'X' being the amount of dice.

Active Characters:
Cindy (Seth)
[ Spoiler ]
Jake (J.Packer)
[ Spoiler ]
Derek (Drace)
Dawn (Thanee)
[ Spoiler ]
Lamia (WearzManySkins)
Damien (Digital Heroin)

Reservists:

Shout out to Rastus from the Dangerous Game PBP for the OOC stuff. I kind of used it without your permission so feel free to let me know if that's not cool and I'll change anything that needs to be changed.

Feel free to introduce yourselves here and post your character in Spoiler tags.
Seth
Let me introduce you to Cindy: a 16 year old rock star of national fame who unbeknown to the masses is also a Yakuza representative (Any claims that this is modelled on Frank Sinatra are of course wrong). Cindy had the bad luck to fall into the wrong crowd (the Yaks) who take the majority of the cash, but she is making the most of that. Cindy has the fame, the clothes, but no security. It is of course not known (hopefully by anyone) that she is a shifter.

Cindy's mother was a shadowrunner (like Striper in the novels), who managed to get Cindy a real SIN after the second crash. Sadly her mother has not been heard of for 8 years and Cindy fears the worst.

Cindy is not optimised for shadowrunning (combat skills around 8 to 10 die), but is OK at talking to people (Yakuza contacts, and most social skills at 14), and sneaking/shadowing (stealth 11). How ever if you want someone to play that electric guitar, or sing for you: she's your girl (artisan 14 die / captivating performance 16 die).
Let me introduce you to Cindy: a 16 year old rock star of national fame who unbeknown to the masses is also a Yakuza representative (Any claims that this is modelled on Frank Sinatra are of course wrong). Cindy had the bad luck to fall into the wrong crowd (the Yaks) who take the majority of the cash, but she is making the most of that. Cindy has the fame, the clothes, but no security. It is of course not known (hopefully by anyone) that she is a shifter.

Cindy's mother was a shadowrunner (like Striper in the novels), who managed to get Cindy a real SIN after the second crash. Sadly her mother has not been heard of for 8 years and Cindy fears the worst.

Cindy is not optimised for shadowrunning (combat skills around 8 to 10 die), but is OK at talking to people (Yakuza contacts, and most social skills at 14), and sneaking/shadowing (stealth 11). How ever if you want someone to play that electric guitar, or sing for you: she's your girl (artisan 14 die / captivating performance 16 die).

[ Spoiler ]
Panticles
Looks good Seth, just need to update this with your Fixer contact.
J. Packer
As I've been greenlighted, I'm going to stake a place to put my character once we get started.

[ Spoiler ]

Had to do a serious revamp after I re-read some of the rules. I had way too many CFs for example.
Background:
[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
Dawn, Urban Witch

[ Spoiler ]
Panticles
J.Packer, Flash looks good. Nice simple backstory gives us plenty of room to expand on.

Thanee, Dawn is Felice's street handle right? I'll add you to the team roster.
Thanee
Yep. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Seth
I am checking that I can use the Invisible Castle correctly. So here is my starting cash: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2841357/ or 1,900 nuyen.
Thanee
The important part is that you always include the same character name there, so your rolls are saved under the same name. smile.gif

And when making typical SR dice rolls, best use the Xd6.hits(5) syntax (not for starting cash, of course, that was perfectly right).

Bye
Thanee
Digital Heroin
And here is the ever-lovable Frankenstein. Don't worry folks, he may be able to punch with the force of an Assault Cannon... but it's not like he's on the verge of a psycotic breakdown due to having too much cyberw- oh, yeah... maybe worry:

[ Spoiler ]
Seth
Woot we are off! Just so you know this is my first pbp, so I am particularly looking for to it.

OK outside the Triangle I make a visual / audio perception roll (both are same: intuition 3 / perception 1 / magically enhanced senses 2 / visual or audio enhacement from gear 3 = 9 die
Audio / Visual scan: 2 successes each
Assensing an embaressing 3 die: 1 sucess

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/758731
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/search/758731

Edit: Sorry for the IC double post...I double posted so I put some stuff in so it read a bit better. I need to learn how not to double post on these forums!
WearzManySkins
Lamia
[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
"but the Johnson wanted to meet in person, which was pretty bloody strange in this day of wireless instant communication"

This is pretty much the norm, actually, so not really that strange.

Wireless communication can be intercepted/logged/traced, therefore shadowy meetings usually take place in the meat.

Bye
Thanee
Digital Heroin
Yes, Frankenstein just walked on up in armor with a tie over the top of it. A very tiny tie, as he borrowed it from Doc Sanderson.

Fifteen minutes of standing around, he was basically casing the place:

Visual Perception, 10 dice: 4 hits
J. Packer
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jan 18 2011, 10:45 AM) *
Yes, Frankenstein just walked on up in armor with a tie over the top of it. A very tiny tie, as he borrowed it from Doc Sanderson.

Yes, but is it a skinny, 80's tie?
Digital Heroin
The doc prefers his ties wide, and novelty. I imagine this one has smiley faces on it.
Seth
Nice thing about ties is that they catch the gravy, and stop it spoiling the shirt armour
Drace
Blah, so it seems that my post never made it through before my comp crashed, so here is the updated character sheet:

Character sheet
[ Spoiler ]

Lifestyle: 15 – Middle
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Also, doing a quick perception of the room, looking for the johnson, visible gang members, anyone seeming out of place or looking like they are scanning the crowd aswell.

And seeing as how Invisible castle wont let me register/sign in here is a random dice roll for the perception. One with normal vision, the other with ultrasound
Normal: 1 hit
Ultrasound: 2 hits
5d6.hits(5)=1, 5d6.hits(5)=2
Panticles
Sorry for the delays folks but I've been working 10 hour days followed by riding around on a bus for another 4 hours so haven't had any time to get online. Will read through and do a quick post to get things moving. It's going to be ugly so I reserve the right to edit it as needed!

@Seth - I'm glad I could be your first. Be gentle.smile.gif

@Thanee - Oho! I thought everybody was meeting in the Matrix nowadays? Good to see that paranoia never changes!

@Digital Heroin - Good spotting!

@Drace - Got your perception roll.
Panticles
Ok my new post is up, but basically it's pretty mud but it does give you guys a chance to interact a little bit before we get down to the introduction with Mr Johnson. Essentially you have all turned up at relatively the same time. Feel free to have a bit of a talk amongst yourself before I move you guys into the restaurant.

I'll have a map and a better post up some time tommorrow, with any luck!
Thanee
Intuition + Counterspelling against Lamia's Physical Mask -> 4 hits

@WearzManySkins: I'm assuming your Physical Mask is at Force 3 and sustained by your Sustaining Focus?

BTW, Sustaining Foci must be bought for one specific type of spells (i.e. Illusion or Manipulation). I suppose yours is for Illusion spells?

Bye
Thanee
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jan 20 2011, 04:15 AM) *
Intuition + Counterspelling against Lamia's Physical Mask -> 4 hits

@WearzManySkins: I'm assuming your Physical Mask is at Force 3 and sustained by your Sustaining Focus?

BTW, Sustaining Foci must be bought for one specific type of spells (i.e. Illusion or Manipulation). I suppose yours is for Illusion spells?

Bye
Thanee

Interesting Counterspelling is a not a automatic feature, I see no where that were stated you were counterspelling, I so guess you are constantly counterspelling, unless you are metagaming. Damn one less action for you.

We have one GM we do not need another.
Thanee
As far as I understand it, the mage is always protected unless it is against a surprise attack (in which case active defense is needed).

If Counterspelling was not declared in advance, it may not be used to defend others, unless the magician has delayed her action (see Delayed Actions, p. 145).

Note that a magician can always use Counterspelling to defend herself, unless surprised.

And as I see it, the illusion will automatically be resisted, the first time you look at it, hence the roll.

As for the focus... There is no reason to get all snarky. I was just pointing out some missing information in your sheet, that I did notice. Since I do not expect you wanting to cheat with it by using it for different spell types, I figured it would be useful for you to know (it's quite common that players do not know about this little detail; I cannot know whether you do, or do not and just missed to list it, so either way it seems useful to make you aware to it, so you can correct the error). smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Seth
I so guess you are constantly counterspelling

Activating counterspelling is a free action. As I understand it once activated it is sustained. I am very weak on the whole counterspelling issue: I am not sure how its meant to be played, but I thought all mages had it active on them when in stressful environments: such as a meet with a Johnson or a run
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jan 20 2011, 06:34 AM) *
As far as I understand it, the mage is always protected unless it is against a surprise attack (in which case active defense is needed).

And as I see it, the illusion will automatically be resisted, the first time you look at it, hence the roll.

As for the focus... There is no reason to get all snarky. I was just pointing out some missing information in your sheet, that I did notice. Since I do not expect you wanting to cheat with it by using it for different spell types, I figured it would be useful for you to know (it's quite common that players do not know about this little detail; I cannot know whether you do, or do not and just missed to list it, so either way it seems useful to make you aware to it, so you can correct the error). smile.gif

Bye
Thanee

I disagree that Counterspelling is a automatic feature of magical types. In my games it is not, but this is not my game, that is this GM's call.

In my case please refrain from your Character Review/Editing Services.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 20 2011, 06:39 AM) *
Activating counterspelling is a free action. As I understand it once activated it is sustained. I am very weak on the whole counterspelling issue: I am not sure how its meant to be played, but I thought all mages had it active on them when in stressful environments: such as a meet with a Johnson or a run

Yes once declared (Taking a Free Action to do so) it stays in effect until stated that it is no longer in effect/use.

Most Mages in games usually do the Assensing the Team Members. Doing that will/can reveal some information depending on the roll, but beings such as our selves would be revealed that we are not what we appear merely by looking at us on the Astral Plane.

Us being dual natured, always see into the Astral Plane, when non dual natured beings look into the Astral plane we have a chance of noticing that.

Since it has gone to this point I will roll out my Physical Mask once I am back at my home and any drain for such.

Intent was not to stay hidden from those being met with, but to keep the "Straights" from freaking out when a Naga slithers by.

Seems that Invisible Castle does not like my work computer at all, unable to log in.
Thanee
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 20 2011, 04:27 PM) *
I disagree that Counterspelling is a automatic feature of magical types.

In the meantime, I have found an even better quote for you. smile.gif

Magic Actions
Free Actions
Declare Counterspelling Protection: A magician who wishes to protect others with Counterspelling (p. 185) must spend a Free Action and declare it in advance (a magician never needs to declare that he is using Counterspelling on himself).

That one should be clear enough, really.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 20 2011, 04:35 PM) *
Since it has gone to this point I will roll out my Physical Mask once I am back at my home and any drain for such.

That's a good idea for sure. The whole reason why I found your sustaining focus error is because I was looking for information on that spell (in order to be able to figure out whether the resistance test was successful or not), but apparantly you didn't even make a spellcasting test for that one, yet. So, it seemed a reasonable assumption, that you have that spell in effect pretty much all the time, hence it will be cast into the sustaining focus, quite obviously. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jan 20 2011, 11:00 AM) *
In the meantime, I have found an even better quote for you. smile.gif

That one should be clear enough, really.

That's a good idea for sure. The whole reason why I found your sustaining focus error is because I was looking for information on that spell (in order to be able to figure out whether the resistance test was successful or not). It seemed a reasonable assumption, that you have that spell in effect pretty much all the time, hence it will be cast into the sustaining focus. wink.gif

Bye
Thanee

Physical Mask is listed in the SR4A book, my character information only lists the spell not the effects/resists etc. So your claim above is suspect.

To me it is not an error. Again cease your Character Review/etc, you seem borderline OCD if not totally such. This is the last I will say on this matter, any more such from you, will not get any response from my self.

ASS Sumptions are not always correct, as you will see later. grinbig.gif
Thanee
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 20 2011, 06:21 PM) *
Physical Mask is listed in the SR4A book, my character information only lists the spell not the effects/resists etc. So your claim above is suspect.

I know how the spell works. wink.gif I was hoping to find some info on your spellcasting routine, so to say, since there was nothing posted about it here on the OOC thread.

To me it is not an error.

Spell Foci
Spell foci empower a magician’s Sorcery skills. There are three types of spell foci: Spellcasting foci, Counterspelling foci, and Sustaining foci. Each spell focus must be attuned to a specific category of spells (Combat, Detection, Health, etc.) when it is created, and this cannot be changed.

There you have it - in cold print.

Bye
Thanee
Big Fella
No need for a perception and countermagic for me! (much more fun this way biggrin.gif )

mmm nice girly troll.
Thanee
smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Drace
Wondering on the GMs response to whether the PhysMask works on ultrasound or not? Since ultrasound is a radar "sense" not sight, and goes off of sound, but on the other hand, the mask makes the targeted character "assume" the characteristics of the intended image. Not sure if it works more like shapechange and alters the ultrasound.
Thanee
@Drace: Physical Mask is a Physical, Realistic, Multi-Sense illusion (unlike Improved Invisibility, which is Single-Sense, i.e. visual only), so it should affect Ultrasound, too.

Bye
Thanee
Drace
Thats what I thought, thanks. Was re-reading the books. Have never actually had mask/physmask used before in a game suprisingly
WearzManySkins
@Thanee
Magic Actions
Free Actions
Declare Counterspelling Protection: A magician who wishes to protect others with Counterspelling (p. 185) must spend a Free Action and declare it in advance (a magician never needs to declare that he is using Counterspelling on himself).

This merely states you do not have to use a Free Action to use Counterspelling, not that it is automatically in effect.

So basically you are always/constantly counterspelling on yourself?
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jan 20 2011, 11:29 AM) *
I know how the spell works. wink.gif I was hoping to find some info on your spellcasting routine, so to say, since there was nothing posted about it here on the OOC thread.
<snippage.
Bye
Thanee

Ergo Metagaming
Thanee
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 20 2011, 09:46 PM) *
So basically you are always/constantly counterspelling on yourself?

Effectively, that's what it means. I would rather describe it as constantly being under the protection of your own counterspelling, though. Counterspelling is not really something that you actively do, it's more of a passive protection. The only action you take is extending the protection onto others. Even that only requires minimal action on your part.

QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 20 2011, 09:50 PM) *
Ergo Metagaming

Metagaming is, when the character acts based on knowledge the player has, but the character has not, right?

So, no, it is not.

As a player, of course, I do know that Lamia is masked by a Physical Mask spell (even though I do not know what Force and how many hits the spell has, obviously, since that information does not exist, yet). Dawn does not know this, yet.

However, as a player, I also do know that Dawn will roll to resist the spell as soon as she observes it, so this event does prompt the resistance roll; it is not something that is done actively by Dawn, it just happens automatically.

On the other hand, if I had switched to Astral Perception, that would be closer to metagaming (even though it wouldn't be completely off to do so at this point, so it's more borderline; you even mentioned yourself, that you would assume a mage to do so), since that would then be an action based on knowing (as a player) that there is something interesting to find out that way, but which Dawn couldn't know about.

Bye
Thanee
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Thanee @ Jan 20 2011, 03:08 PM) *
Effectively, that's what it means. I would rather describe it as constantly being under the protection of your own counterspelling, though. Counterspelling is not really something that you actively do, it's more of a passive protection. The only action you take is extending the protection onto others. Even that only requires minimal action on your part.

<snippage>
For My Magical Types it is a choice to use Counterspelling. Running around with it in constant use, since it is basically magical jamming, leaves too wide a avenue for a GM to have NPCs interact with you.

Does Counterspelling show up on the Astral Plane? AFB right now.
Digital Heroin
I'm going to stay far far away from the magical debate, save to add one very revelant quote:

`Enhance your calm John Spartan.`

Now I know for a fact that Frankie boy ain't gonna see through the spell, nor on any plane of conscience try. He's just gonna smile and try not to be dumb.

Big Fella: I'm not entirely sure, but that troll that's being hit on might be a dude...
Big Fella
A dude? Lamia a dude?

She looks like a fine trolless to me: big arms, nice greatcost, loads of charisma...what more could you want... (legs maybe)

Oh well Gtore doesn't need to know about these spell things...if he can see it, it must be real. nyahnyah.gif
Thanee
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 20 2011, 10:24 PM) *
Does Counterspelling show up on the Astral Plane? AFB right now.

I'm not sure that is spelled out somewhere (which would mean probably not).
Either way, I don't think it is strikingly obvious, like a spell, for example.

More likely something one has to assense for. But that is pure speculation at this point. smile.gif

Assensing would make it pretty easy to realize, that Dawn is awakened, though (IIRC it was just 1 hit necessary to learn that fact).

Bye
Thanee
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Big Fella @ Jan 20 2011, 03:33 PM) *
A dude? Lamia a dude?

She looks like a fine trolless to me: big arms, nice greatcost, loads of charisma...what more could you want... (legs maybe)

Oh well Gtore doesn't need to know about these spell things...if he can see it, it must be real. nyahnyah.gif

LOL the character is a female Lamia, the Physical Mask Spells shows a female Troll, ergo only thing close to her size and mass.
Hard to have a believable illusion of petite elf walking across a floor and hear the floor boards straining.
Digital Heroin
Go me for being slow as Frank is... I totally missed that, and then went 'wait, is Gtore hitting on the Trog dude in the fancy suit?' I need to stop indulging in a beer at lunch.
WearzManySkins
Physical Mask
Physical Mask Spell 4 Hits
Drain
Drain Test 1 Hit 3 Stun

@Digital Heroin
You get beer during lunch? grinbig.gif
WearzManySkins
@Thanee
Since you do not have more successes than my 4 ie we are both equal you do not see thru the Physical Mask. Note the spell is being sustained not off loaded into a sustaining focii.
Digital Heroin
I don't especially get beer at lunch... but I go to the lower decker's lounge and get one with lunch. It's a bit of naval tradition... ok, I lie, but we are traditionally allowed two beer per man per day at sea, and often that logic extends to the work day. A tipple every now and then never hurts a man, and I'm usually two hours minimum out from driving home, so it works out well.
WearzManySkins
QUOTE (Digital Heroin @ Jan 21 2011, 10:47 AM) *
I don't especially get beer at lunch... but I go to the lower decker's lounge and get one with lunch. It's a bit of naval tradition... ok, I lie, but we are traditionally allowed two beer per man per day at sea, and often that logic extends to the work day. A tipple every now and then never hurts a man, and I'm usually two hours minimum out from driving home, so it works out well.

Obviously not a USN sailor/ship. twirl.gif
British?
Australian?
Canadian?
Digital Heroin
Canadian, eh. And you're right, we're one of the big three navies that realizes beer makes things better.

Ask the helmsman we had who was always plastered...
WearzManySkins
One workday when my USN ship was in Japan. Two Australian Cruisers pulled into that port during the night.
The next day, I had a lack of work to do, but did not want to be caught not doing anything. I got an idea, I asked my Leading Petty Officer if it was OK for me to go over to one of the Australian Cruisers for a tour of the ship.

My Leading Petty Officer thought it was a great idea, since he would not have to worry about me getting caught.

Went over Cruiser and asked for a tour, the Officer of the Deck said Yes. He hooked me up some of the Cruiser's Personnel that did the same job as me, to give me tour.

The tour lasted 15 minutes, the other 3.5 hours where spent drinking beer down in their Mess.

They carried me back to my ship passed out, and put me into my bunk.

I was the only and last sailor from my ship to go on a tour of that ship during my ships working hours. grinbig.gif
Thanee
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 21 2011, 12:30 PM) *
@Thanee
Since you do not have more successes than my 4 ie we are both equal you do not see thru the Physical Mask. Note the spell is being sustained not off loaded into a sustaining focii.

Actually, no. It's the other way around.

The spellcaster must generate more hits than the observer for the illusion to be considered real.

Ties go to the defender, so to say.

Looking at your spellcasting roll above, I'm wondering how you came up with such a high Drain, though?

What Force did you cast the spell at? For those 4 boxes of Drain, it needs to be F6 at least (which would cause physical Drain already, as it exceeds your Magic).

As a friendly advice... you really should list the Force together with the spellcasting roll. It is quite an important factor. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012