Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Assensing the shifters
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Seth
In order to not hijack another thread I thought I would ask the same question as for the infected: how easy is it to work out from the aura of someone that they are a shifter. I've just read the Nyx Smith novels on Striper a were-tiger, and I got the impression that shifters looked "odd", but not every one knew what they were. (I understand this is fluff and not crunch...but I quite like fluff).
Makki
in astral, you see a tiger-aura. without masking he can't hide it. you don't even need assensing. if you do, you might find out it's an awakened tiger.
Yerameyahu
AFAIK, their aura looks like their base animal, for one thing. Right?
Mäx
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 15 2011, 04:21 PM) *
AFAIK, their aura looks like their base animal, for one thing. Right?

Yup.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Also, depending on how your GM reads the entry for Masking, a shapeshifter can only do one of the following options exclusively:

• Pretend it is a normal animal
  • Pretend it is somehow a dual-natured metahuman
  • Pretend its magic is higher or lower while showing the animal aura
Seth
Thanks for the replies

Just curious: why cannot the shifter use masking to appear mundane? Even spirits can make them selves look mundane with masking.
Yerameyahu
They can. They can look like a mundane animal.
Medicineman
which still looks kinda stupid when they assume Human Form spin.gif

with a ...kinda stupid Dance
Medicineman
Yerameyahu
I assume that's by design. Play a metahuman character, facrissake. biggrin.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Medicineman @ Jan 15 2011, 03:54 PM) *
which still looks kinda stupid when they assume Human Form spin.gif

with a ...kinda stupid Dance
Medicineman

Then you look like a dual-natured metahuman (like a magician assensing the Astral Plane), and yes, I think it is by design
Mäx
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 15 2011, 10:43 PM) *
Then you look like a dual-natured metahuman

No you look like what ever kind of animal you are.
Yerameyahu
It depends on the masking. I agree that the rules aren't very clear, and honestly the GM can just allow what makes sense. On a personal note, shifters are dumb, so it's fine with me if they get screwed. wink.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 15 2011, 03:45 PM) *
It depends on the masking. I agree that the rules aren't very clear, and honestly the GM can just allow what makes sense. On a personal note, shifters are dumb, so it's fine with me if they get screwed. wink.gif

Hey! No yiffing!

-k
Seth
On a personal note, shifters are dumb, so it's fine with me if they get screwed

And mages are dumb too cos they magic. And technomancers are dumb because they couldn't exist. And dragons are dumb cos they have too many limbs and couldn't exist... I quite like the fact that you can play a wide range of characters in Shadowrun. The only ones I personally have a problem with are the essence drainers...they are just too evil for me ever to want to play with one. Some of the best shadowrun fiction has shifters in it.
Yerameyahu
I said, a personal note. smile.gif I think I made it quite clear. Maybe I like vampires, and you don't (I don't, actually). wink.gif
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jan 15 2011, 05:44 PM) *
No you look like what ever kind of animal you are.

I meant, when using masking and shifting to human form, the best thing you can do is to mask your aura as if you were a dual-natured metahuman.
I know that without masking your aura will continue to be of your original self.
Hamsnibit
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 16 2011, 01:03 AM) *
I meant, when using masking and shifting to human form, the best thing you can do is to mask your aura as if you were a dual-natured metahuman.
I know that without masking your aura will continue to be of your original self.

how about masking as an mundane human?
Depends on your GM if he allows using all the feature of masking or just one at a time. I didnt found any RAW for this one.
In doubt - nobody cares about a "mundane" stray dog, fox, or the regular dove, now do they? May be quite useful for certain things.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jan 15 2011, 12:21 PM) *
Also, depending on how your GM reads the entry for Masking, a shapeshifter can only do one of the following options exclusively:

• Pretend it is a normal animal
  • Pretend it is somehow a dual-natured metahuman
  • Pretend its magic is higher or lower while showing the animal aura

QUOTE (Hamsnibit @ Jan 15 2011, 09:17 PM) *
how about masking as an mundane human?
Depends on your GM if he allows using all the feature of masking or just one at a time. I didnt found any RAW for this one.
In doubt - nobody cares about a "mundane" stray dog, fox, or the regular dove, now do they? May be quite useful for certain things.

Hence what I wrote before...
Jhaiisiin
That;s interesting in this edition. I distinctly remember a previous edition citing that a shapeshifter in the astral appears as both an animal and a (meta)human. This may be as far back as SR2. Oh well. Chalk it up to yet another edition-change casualty.

EDIT: After checking my books, it seems my memory is the casualty. Checked both of my SR Companions and neither had anything like the above. So yeah, oops on me.
Seth
Thanks for the responses. I have come away with the view that every one thinks the astral form of a shifter is pretty obvious: maybe you need 1 success, maybe not.

There is varying views on whether masking would do any good, so I thought I would quote the book:
Masking: A character who learns masking can change the appearance of her aura/astral form to do the following: look mundane, look as though her Magic is higher or lower than it is (+/– your grade of initiation), or look as though she is a different type of astral creature.

I think its pretty clear that the masking power would allow a mage to look as a shifter, a shifter to look as a drake, a spirit to look as a mage...etc.

I can see I need to masking for my little shifter smile.gif
zeborazor
You still have animal features do you not? Or is that a "just for flavor" kinda option?
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Seth @ Jan 16 2011, 08:21 PM) *
Thanks for the responses. I have come away with the view that every one thinks the astral form of a shifter is pretty obvious: maybe you need 1 success, maybe not.

There is varying views on whether masking would do any good, so I thought I would quote the book:

I think its pretty clear that the masking power would allow a mage to look as a shifter, a shifter to look as a drake, a spirit to look as a mage...etc.

I can see I need to masking for my little shifter smile.gif

And that is exaclty my point on how your gm understands how Masking works. My group, for instance, thinks that each option is exclusive and you can't mix them up, meaning that if I'm a magician Elf trying to pass as a mundane human, I can't.
Seth
My group, for instance, thinks that each option is exclusive and you can't mix them up, meaning that if I'm a magician Elf trying to pass as a mundane human, I can't.

Given that English language uses the same word (and context doesn't always help) for inclusive and exclusive OR its RAW to interpret this both ways. My believe is that the RAI for masking are all about making your self appear as something else, otherwise a fire elemental would only be able to appear as a mundane fire, while they can clearly (RAW under free spirit masking) appear as a human. I think that's pretty QED.
Yerameyahu
Free spirits are different from shifters, but even if they're not, 'dual-natured human' is one of the listed examples from this discussion already.
Seth
Free spirits are different from shifter

Sure. My comment was that in English the use of the word OR can have two means. Both equally valid. And without examples we cannot work out which meaning applies.

The free spirit example is one example of where the use OR was an inclusive-or, and I find it unlikely that the rule writers meant inclusive-or for spirits, exclusive-or for everyone else. I think if they had meant that they would have said so.

I don't think its an important point anyway: RAW is only useful to have a baseline, if a group finds that the game is better with a different interpretation of RAW go to it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012