Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Metamagics
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Ramaloke
I was wondering if anybody had any homebrew metamagics that they'd be willing to post up. I'll start with a few of my ideas.

Karmic Bridge
A character who learns the Karmic Bridge metamagic may act as a conduit between two characters (who must both be willing, the initiate may designate herself as one of the two characters involved), allowing them to transfer karma to each other.

Essence Gift
A character who learns this metamagic can make a gift of his essence to another character. The exchange is permanent, and my not augment essence above six.

Burden
The initiate may (with a willpower + magic vs willpower + body test, 1 hour) burden another character with a weakness or negative quality he possesses. The effect lasts for one day. If the weakness or negative quality has multiple ranks of severity only a portion of it is transfered. For example if the initiate has a Severe Addiction he can burden another character with a Mild Addiction. For the duration of the burden the initiate would be treated as having a moderate addiction. It is possible to burden somebody with the entirety of the quality or weakness, but this would require several tests. The weakness or quality must be inherent to the initiate. He may not, for example, burden somebody with his debt (as per the In Debt quality) as it is reliant on a third party. If the target is killed the transferred effect returns to plague the initiate.

Curse
Prerequisite: Burden
This is advanced version of the Burden metamagic allows the initiate to permanently transfer a negative quality or weakness to another character using a prolonged ritual (willpower + magic vs willpower + body, 1 day). Since the bond formed is of a permanent nature, the target may be used as a material link to the initiate. As with burden, if the target is killed the transferred effect returns to plague the initiate.
Kesendeja
Spirit Master
The mage may summon 1/3 of their initiate grade in extra types of spirit. This is in addition to their normal five. It may be taken multiple times, each time raising the divisor. (Taking it a second time makes it 1/2 of the initiate grade, a third time means its equal to the initiate grade.)
Udoshi
I'd like to see a metamagic that lets a magician Summon more than one spirit at a time(not bind, just summon). Lets say, Half magic in extra spirits, round down.

As a balancing factor, limit the Force of the extra spirits to Initiate Grade.

So an initiate 1 magician with magic 5 has the ability to summon up to two extra force 1 spirits, in addition to the primary Summoned spirit. Initiates again, goes up may have up to two extra spirits at force 2.

Around 3-4 initiations is where it starts to get good, but then again, there's a lot of other useful metamagics. Just SOME sort of metamagic for the summoner types would be nice, but nothing that allows something ridiculous like popping 4 force 9 spirits out without paying binding costs at all. Thats just broken. A metamagic that lets a conjuror have some a few lower-powered spirits(that AREN'T watchers) might be nice.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 17 2011, 10:26 PM) *
I'd like to see a metamagic that lets a magician Summon more than one spirit at a time(not bind, just summon). Lets say, Half magic in extra spirits, round down.

Reusing the name, different effect.

Master Conjurer
The mage may now conjure multiple spirits of the same type. Maximum force remains the same, but it may be split up between 1/2 Initiate grade's worth of entities.
Nyost Akasuke
Master Conjurer would be pretty nifty.
Lansdren
My thoughts on a multiple summoning metamagic would be like this

Minion Master
Each level of this metamagic allows a summoner to summon and control a additional sprit. Total force of all summoned spirits is limited to Magic Plus Initiation level. This Metamagic can be taken twice.

Might be a tad powerful at high initiations especially if a mage ups his magic too.
Starmage21
QUOTE (Lansdren @ Jan 18 2011, 06:34 AM) *
My thoughts on a multiple summoning metamagic would be like this

Minion Master
Each level of this metamagic allows a summoner to summon and control a additional sprit. Total force of all summoned spirits is limited to Magic Plus Initiation level. This Metamagic can be taken twice.

Might be a tad powerful at high initiations especially if a mage ups his magic too.

It would be better if this metamagic extended the number of unbound spirits to the magician's charisma.
Ascalaphus
Advanced Counterspelling
The initiate can also use Counterspelling (and if possessed, Shielding and Absorption) against magical Critter Powers.
Alternative version: use Initiate Grade instead of Counterspelling.

Longevity (Adept only)

Ageing past the optimal maturity age is reduced by Magic * 10%, to a minimum of 0%.
Kesendeja
Source Magic
The mage has studied enough traditions that they no longer take penalties working with different traditions.
Prerequisite: Arcane at rank 5

Spirit Kin
Double the maximum force at which a single type of spirit may be summoned.
Prerequisite: Spirit Affinity for the spirit in question.

Spirit Master (Revised)
May add a number of additional spirit types to your normal tradition equal to your initiate grade.
Prerequisite: Summoning Rank 4

Master Summoner (Revised)
The maximum force stays the same but may be split among initiate grade number of entities.
Prerequisite: Summoning Rank 4
TheOOB
Some of these are really powerful. Conjuration is extremely powerful as it, the idea of granting more then one new type of spirit, or more than 1 summoned spirit at a time with metamagic is frankly absurd.
Tanegar
At the risk of being seen to toot my own horn, I still think Genius Loci is a pretty neat idea.
Lansdren
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Jan 19 2011, 06:35 AM) *
Some of these are really powerful. Conjuration is extremely powerful as it, the idea of granting more then one new type of spirit, or more than 1 summoned spirit at a time with metamagic is frankly absurd.

I agree it could be nasty which is why my suggestion has a limiter on total force. Odds are most summoners would be M5 and min level one Initiate if you summoned and had two spirits operating you would have at most a force of six split maybe 3+3 or 2+4. Now taking into account to summon them your taking drain twice (not a major issue but still should be noted), this summoning also takes time in a combat situation.

Spirits can be very nasty at higher forces but at low ones they function much like drones.
Ascalaphus
Oh, right, missed an obvious one;

Cosmopolitan Conjuration
The mage can Summon and Bind one additional type of spirit.
Either a spirit of a class he can already summon, but now as Possession/Materialization (the opposite of what his Tradition normally summons), or a new class not normally assigned to his Tradition (a Guardian spirit for a Hermetic for example), with the default Possession/Materialization ability.
This metamagic can be taken multiple times.
Stormdrake
AH had a list of new metamagics he was going to include in the now defunct High Magic book. Let me look around and if I can find my copy of his posted notes will add them.
Makki
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Jan 20 2011, 02:33 PM) *
AH had a list of new metamagics he was going to include in the now defunct High Magic book. Let me look around and if I can find my copy of his posted notes will add them.

http://www.box.net/shared/l8lq3sjhu7
that's what you want
Stahlseele
Spirit-Mastery.
Can learn one Spirit Power per Rank of this MetaMagic.
Can use the Spirit Power as a Spell for a number of initiate Rank times a (convenient cycle).

Prerequisites:
Ally Spirit MetaMagic.
Channeling MetaMagic.
Big Ritual MetaMagic.
Has to Summon Spirit that has the wanted power first.
Maybe bind it, but can only get the one service of the spirit teaching the wanted power to the mage.
The spirit goes free immediately after the mage has learned the power.
Meaning you now have to deal with a Spirit that wants you dead for knowing it's true name and how to use it's special tricks.
So either prepare to destroy the spirit immediately afterwards, or bribe the spirit with mucho karma and the promise of using LAES once you are done.
Stormdrake
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Jan 20 2011, 02:33 PM) *

Thanks Makki.
Lansdren
its sad that that stuff of AH's will never see official use there were some cool ideas there
Lansdren
One new metamagic I was thinking of suggesting for my game was

Magical Extrapolation
Requirements - Combined Arcane and Intuition score of 7

With this metamagic a spell maybe cast with a change to its range from Touch to LOS to LOSA with a increase in drain by 1 point above the base DV for each extrapolation.

Example One
Base deathtouch spell DV (F/2)-2
Extrapolated to Manabolt DV (F/2)+1 (One extrapolation)
Extrapolated to Manaball DV (F/2)+4 (Two extrapolation)

Example Two
Base Powerbolt DV (f/2)+1
Extrapolated to Shatter DV (F/2) (for use of less noticeable contact based spell)

The idea is that if you know how to throw out a spell then its not that far fetched to see how to adapt it. Rather then having to learn huge amounts of spells you can extrapolate out what you need based on what you know but at a higher cost.
Ascalaphus
Most existing spells have an increase in Drain of +2 per greater Range already. Extrapolation would then be a cheaper way of casting them, particularly extrapolating Touch to LOS(A) spells; Drain reduced by 2!
Lansdren
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 21 2011, 02:57 PM) *
Most existing spells have an increase in Drain of +2 per greater Range already. Extrapolation would then be a cheaper way of casting them, particularly extrapolating Touch to LOS(A) spells; Drain reduced by 2!

No its a additional cost on top of the normal cost for the new spell.

Normally
Death touch is (F/2)-2
Manabolt is (F/2)
Manaball is (F/2)+2

If you jumpted from touch to bolt it would make bolt (f/2)+1 (or one more then the normal spell)
and touch to manaball would be (f/2)+4 (Plus two as its two ranges from the touch spell the mage actually knows)

Might not have explained it right but the examples showed what I was aiming for
Ascalaphus
Ah, I see. In that case it looks pretty interesting. I'd remove the Prerequisite however. This isn't D&D, there shouldn't be all kinds of prerequisites for every feat.
Makki
exactly. the only prerequisites possible is making it an advanced metamagic. so you need to first think of smaller version

Metamagic: Magical Interpolation
The Magician may switch the damage type from stun to physical or vice versa for an additional +2 drain to the spell he's using.

Advanced Metamagic: Magical Extrapolation
Ascalaphus
In don't think it needs prerequisites at all. If the Drain is always higher than learning the spell the hard way, then it's probably balanced enough. After all, you also paid an opportunity cost by buying this metamagic.
Lansdren
the prerequisit thing I think I got from looking at AH's draft work. And I was hoping to give a in character reason for being able to invent something on the fly.

Its not really needed for it to work though

I think the idea holds water as it means you can with a few spells deal with a number of options and just risk more drain. It particually makes sense with indirect elemental combat spells. If I can throw lightning at you it make sense that I can make lots of lightning come at you with more effort.
Ascalaphus
It does encourage taking the "middle" spell though; extrapolating from LOS to Touch and LOS(A) is cheaper than from Touch to LOS(A) or from LOS(A) to Touch. Not sure if that is bad.
J. Packer
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 21 2011, 09:33 AM) *
It does encourage taking the "middle" spell though; extrapolating from LOS to Touch and LOS(A) is cheaper than from Touch to LOS(A) or from LOS(A) to Touch. Not sure if that is bad.

Maybe it needs to be thought of not as a linear progression, but as a circle. So there's no two levels to travel if there are only three spells in the family (which I think is pretty universal) - it's always just one step away. Makes it a little more flexible, I guess, but also gets away from the "I'll always take the bolt version" idea immediately. Might need to have a sterner drain penalty than just "one more" - maybe "two more" or a dice pool penalty instead, as that would allow for a finer granularity of penalty.
Ascalaphus
I'd go for a simple +1 Drain across the board. You don't want to make extrapolated spells too expensive to use, and dice penalties might not actually matter to a lot of casters. Drain is a harder dice pool to increase than Spellcasting. Also, it feels clunky to put it in dice pool.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 21 2011, 10:09 AM) *
I'd go for a simple +1 Drain across the board. You don't want to make extrapolated spells too expensive to use, and dice penalties might not actually matter to a lot of casters. Drain is a harder dice pool to increase than Spellcasting. Also, it feels clunky to put it in dice pool.

This, basically.

If anything, base it around the Spell Design adjustments, since you're basically adjusting it on the fly.

Speaking of, I'd like to see a metamagic that enables Freecasting.
Straight Razor
extended projection: half's the Ess loss due to projection.
this was a plot device for a group of mages it lived in bacta tanks, and sis everything out of body.

spell holder: caster can sustain one chosen spell without and negative mods.
usually limit this to one time only, and the spell has to be in line with the tradition.

adept spell: gives the PhyAdept one spell that they can cast as if they were a full mage.
use this with twisted way adepts,

Shared power: can grant one power to any other person in LOS
also twisted adept

Group avatar summoning: all members of the group must each temporally donate their entire magic rating to the groups avatar spirit. this will summon said spirit at a force equal to the points donated. this leaves the group members mundane till the spirit is dismissed or banished.
Ascalaphus
Hmm, I like the idea of a sustaining metamagic..

Sustaining

You can sustain one spell that you cast or that's been cast on you, regardless of force, without penalties.

Should you be able to take it more than once? Only once per "school"? Should you pick "school" at the time you take the Metamagic?
J. Packer
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 21 2011, 10:52 AM) *
Hmm, I like the idea of a sustaining metamagic..

Sustaining

You can sustain one spell that you cast or that's been cast on you, regardless of force, without penalties.

Should you be able to take it more than once? Only once per "school"? Should you pick "school" at the time you take the Metamagic?

It ought to have something limiting it. Living Focus is a full point power for Adepts, and it still leave them laden with the -2 for sustaining the spell.
Ascalaphus
Maybe give it a Force limit of the mage's Magic and/or Initiate Grade? That makes it a lot less powerful though.
Makki
technomancer have something similar. reduces the penalty by 1 per technique taken
Udoshi
QUOTE (Makki @ Jan 21 2011, 11:16 AM) *
technomancer have something similar. reduces the penalty by 1 per technique taken

Its also been repeatedly nerfed to hell.

The current version isn't worth taking.

If it were one echo instead of 2, maybe.
J. Packer
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jan 21 2011, 11:09 AM) *
Maybe give it a Force limit of the mage's Magic and/or Initiate Grade? That makes it a lot less powerful though.

How about if it were limited to spells of a force equal to twice the Initiate Grade. That way, even a first level initiate could sustain a force 2 spell without penalty, and once you hit the big leagues, you're sustaining a force 10 or 12 spell with no effort.
darthmord
QUOTE (J. Packer @ Jan 21 2011, 02:47 PM) *
How about if it were limited to spells of a force equal to twice the Initiate Grade. That way, even a first level initiate could sustain a force 2 spell without penalty, and once you hit the big leagues, you're sustaining a force 10 or 12 spell with no effort.

Interesting idea but it also guts a chunk out of quickening... not that quickening had much going for it in the first place...
Straight Razor
the balance for the sustaining meta, in my mind anyway. Is that, it is a limited version of living focus. It can only hold one specific spell, and only when cast by the initiate him self.
by 3rd ed mechanics PhyAdepts got one power point for initiating, living focus is one power point.
So, a meta matamagic is equal to a power point.
living focus can hold any sustainable spell; sustaining can hold only one, named at the time you take it.
living focus can hold a spell cast by anyone; sustaining only works for the initiate

pbangarth
How about an analogue to Counterspelling, in the Conjuring sphere?

Counterconjuring
The initiate is able to add Initiate Grade dice to the declared target's (rare, but could be multiple, I guess) resistance to any of the Conjuring Skills. LOS is needed to maintain the protection. In the case of spirits (ally, free, wild), this applies for themselves even without declaration.

One could protect one's own spirit(s) from being Banished, or Summoned away after a successful Banishment. Or a Free Spirit could protect itself from Banishment.
Makki
when I read Counterconjuring I thought of adding Initiate grade dice to resist critter powers...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012