Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: acronyms...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
fourstring_samurai
a lot of acronyms get thrown around on DS, and while I can figure out most of them, some baffle me. so i want to start a thread where we post a common acronym and its meaning, eventually explaining most if not all of them.

i'll start.

IIRC: If I Recall/Remember Correctly.
Kagetenshi
IMO/IMHO/IMNSHO: In My [Not So] [Humble] Opinion

YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary

AFAIK: As Far As I Know

HMHVV: Human-Metahuman Vampiracy Virus

SotSW: Shadows of the Sixth World (Ok, that one's just a blatant self-advertisement wink.gif )

~J
Kanada Ten
The many of the books acronyms are on the web here.

John Campbell
Acronym Finder is your friend. It'll give you most of the non-Shadowrun/Dumpshock-specific ones.

For the Dumpshock specific, the one that I think requires explanation is "BBB", or "Big Black Book", referring to the Shadowrun core rulebook. I hate the term; it's stupid and confusing because it doesn't actually stand for any title of any actual book. I just refer to the thing as "SR3" or "the corebook".
RangerJoe
It took me a long time (too long, actually) to figure that BBB == Big Black Book == SR3 core rules.

<<<Nice to know I'm not alone smile.gif >>>
Zazen
I was never a big Doom player but the fact that SPISPOPD stands for Smashing Pumpkins Into Smoldering Piles Of Putrid Decay still sticks in my mind after a decade or so.
Kagetenshi
KOTH: King of the Hill

LMOTH: Last Man on the Hill

IIHAT: If I Had a Trow

~J
Crusher Bob
Actually, it can sometimes mean 'Big Blue Book' since for some editions and some printings, the main book was blue.
Large Mike

And of course BABY is the Big All Black Yearbook. Also known as very hard to get core rules.
Abstruse
AKA The-Book-That-Goes-For-$500-Every-Time-It-Shows-Up-On-Ebay Book. Also, Book-Abstruse-Doesn't-Own-Because-He's-Poor.

The Abstruse One
fourstring_samurai
yearbook? is this a super duper edition of the original rules?
Lindt
Hardcover, limited edition. Very l33t.
fourstring_samurai
1st edition?
I know someone who has that.
time to swindle.

edit: he doesn't play shadowrun, so he has no idea what he has.

also, is it limited edition because its hardback, or is there more than one edition of hardback?
spotlite
I think each version has its own l33t hardback first printing rule book.

I'm very jealous.
nezumi
I have a paperback first edition, got it as a wedding present, but its mighty worn. One of my friends had the hard cover second edition. I think it made it an extra six months before pages started falling out.
Abstruse
The BABY is different from the plain hardcover edition I believe. Only 1000 (?) were printed and they were all numbered, except for a very rare few that were sold/given out at a convention without numbers, and those generally go for a lot of money.

The Abstruse One
Large Mike
BABY, a.k.a. the book that will be hardest to get for my collection. It may require a shadowrun of it's own to procure it. Good I'm such a huge SR geek, that *automatically* makes me good at crime, like reading books in Morrowind. wink.gif
kevyn668
Are you guys talking about the Silver special edition book or just a first edition? I have two hard cover 1st eds and I think I have a soft cover or two somewhere.

So, are you telling me that the hard cover is worth money? Interesting....if its true.
tisoz
QUOTE (kevyn668)
Are you guys talking about the Silver special edition book or just a first edition? I have two hard cover 1st eds and I think I have a soft cover or two somewhere.

So, are you telling me that the hard cover is worth money? Interesting....if its true.

No, the BABY is a 3rd edition hardcover. The 3rd edition hardcover was a limited edition (only 1000 and some exist.) First and second edition hardcovers are not much rarer than those editions softcover.

A bit of trivia: several 1st edition softcovers have the cover on upside down. Mine came that way and I doubt it was all that rare.
Homme-qui-rigole
Back to acronyms, what the frag means SCIRE ?
CardboardArmor
Self-Contained Industrial-Residential Environment

AKA the Renraku Arcology, everyone's favorite place to go to die. Though I think that's currently bucking for that position with the CZ (the Chicago Containment Zone) and the Aztechnology pyramid down in Aztlan.

Edit: Seeing as this is the Acronym thread, I added what CZ meant. In case anyone didn't know. Fat chance, right?
Kanada Ten
My Self-Contained Life, now showing on GENZTV...

[ Spoiler ]
danbot37
but cz can also be cyber-zombie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012