Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Casting Increase (Whatever) on yourself?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jonny Reload
A really odd question came up between me and my GM..... Can you cast Increased Attribute upon yourself? I mean I can't find anywhere in the book that it says you can, it only describes being able to cast it on other people (Either way, I can still get Spirits of Man to cast it back upon me grinbig.gif but I was just curious if a Mage could just do this himself?)
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Jonny Reload @ Jan 19 2011, 08:28 PM) *
A really odd question came up between me and my GM..... Can you cast Increased Attribute upon yourself? I mean I can't find anywhere in the book that it says you can, it only describes being able to cast it on other people (Either way, I can still get Spirits of Man to cast it back upon me grinbig.gif but I was just curious if a Mage could just do this himself?)

Not technically true. It describes casting a given spell at a subject or target. For several health spells, like Increase [Attribute], it also describes casting onto a voluntary subject. You're a voluntary subject, obviously, so therefore you can cast it on yourself.

Not to mention that there's already an enormous amount of precedent among us SR gamers for casting and sustaining spells on yourself anyway. wink.gif EDIT: That is to say, essentially all of us play it that way already, and have been doing so for a long time.
Jonny Reload
I know this has been the popular belief since SR2 but still... It would be nice to have it in clear black and white rather then saying "Hey! I can be a volunteer too!" biggrin.gif
Larsine
But remember that you have to sustain the spell, so the benefit might not outweigh the penalty.
Udoshi
I'm fairly sure that you can cast touch spells on yourself.Otherwise, all the Detection spells stop working. (spells cast on subject/target, said target gains a sense)

If you're interested in self-buffing, you can Spell Design your spells with Very Restricted Target(self only) for two less drain. You do lose a lot of versatility, though.

For the increase attribute spell, that would now be Force/2-4, which should help a lot with raising already high attributes (force must be >= the attribute, gain hits on attribute). You could then overcast up to force 11 for 1 drain.
Laguna
QUOTE (Larsine @ Jan 20 2011, 06:50 AM) *
But remember that you have to sustain the spell, so the benefit might not outweigh the penalty.

Indeed. Sustaining foci are your friend for this. As are friendly spirits.
Jonny Reload
QUOTE (Larsine @ Jan 20 2011, 12:50 AM) *

Hence the Spirits of Man comment biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012