Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers: EMP Grenades and you?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
So I was just reading the "x number of things I'm never allowed to do in SR again thread" and an odd thought occured to me: what happens when an EMP grenade goes off in the vicinity of a Techno/Technocritter and how do you rule the damage vs their icon and their person?
Yerameyahu
I wasn't aware anything happened to them.
I'm not sure anything does, but i wanted to check as it certainly hurts cyberware and other electrical fields, and since thats what technos basically are/ can sense I thought dmg would be nasty.
ProfGast
Nothing happens to them. EMP disables and fries electrical circuitry, but Technomancers use resonance and other pseudomagical abilities to interface, so it doesn't actually do anything. Unless the EMP grenade hits the hardware for a node they're in and they're dumped. Then it's just dumpshock.
Yerameyahu
They don't hurt cyberware. At most, they damage antennae attached to the cyberware.
hobgoblin
At best they have their signal reduced by 3 for a moment, potentially dropping their connection to the net.
KarmaInferno
I imagine it might make some of them go, "Whoa, dude, what the hell?" for a moment.

-k
Sengir
While not spelled out in RAW, I think it's fair to assume that an EMP grenade temporarily disrupts all radio communications - which would lead to a serious case of dumpshock for everybody caught in the radius while being in VR.
hobgoblin
Quite likely, as the text says that it reduces a comlinks signal rating by 3 (as it fries the antenna apparently).

So anything with less then 4 now have a signal rating of 0 (if not outright fried).
WearzManySkins
Then that brings up the spells Static and Pulse effects on a TM. Both spells can be created with the option of sustaining. Pulse would be the more effective one.
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Jan 23 2011, 03:31 PM) *
Then that brings up the spells Static and Pulse effects on a TM. Both spells can be created with the option of sustaining. Pulse would be the more effective one.

indeed thats kind of where i was heading at least for corpsec thats super paranoid about onsite hacking
Kyoto Kid
...I find a pair of Ruger Super Warhawks with EXEX usually works good against them. grinbig.gif
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jan 23 2011, 07:28 PM) *
...I find a pair of Ruger Super Warhawks with EXEX usually works good against them. grinbig.gif

ahem im trying to be subtle ruger SWs to the face fails my definition of subtle. (was planning to have a power generator go emp shockwave on the team if they get in a gunfight in the generator area (the transformers would go off and the dynamo IIRC would cause the equivalent of a small nukes emp blast).
Yerameyahu
Sounds like movie physics. smile.gif
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 24 2011, 01:03 PM) *
Sounds like movie physics. smile.gif

nah check out this link under the non-nuclear emp, basically it would mean that a charge or round would have to get lucky (or unlucky) around the transfomer, complete the circuit and then cause an emp shockwave following the right hand rule similiar to the way rail guns work.
ProfGast
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Jan 24 2011, 10:51 AM) *
... subtle ... (was planning to have a power generator go emp shockwave on the team if they get in a gunfight in the generator area (the transformers would go off and the dynamo IIRC would cause the equivalent of a small nukes emp blast).

Subtle? Exactly what is your definition of Subtle?

And yes if you DO need an affect hob's "signal dropper" would work, but unlike a normal comm they don't actually get hardware fried so maybe a mild headache? Disorientation?
QUOTE (ProfGast @ Jan 24 2011, 01:39 PM) *
Subtle? Exactly what is your definition of Subtle?

And yes if you DO need an affect hob's "signal dropper" would work, but unlike a normal comm they don't actually get hardware fried so maybe a mild headache? Disorientation?

lol you havent met a few of my players no im not going to drop a nuke etc but i guess shockwave is over stating although keep in mind, most of the 2070s tech is decidedly optical and therefore not harmed as much. yeah the disorientation/ dumpshock was what i was referencing.
ProfGast
I just think, if you're set on doing terrible things to a technomancer, why not just hit them with some sort of developmental magical Resonance bomb which affects normal machinery like an EMP? No need to go into speculative pseudoscience then.
Fortinbras
An EMP is going to kill anyone with a pacemaker or anyone being operated on in the area, as well as all GridGuide cars and what-not, so just a heads up there. Not that they didn't have it coming.
I give my TMs a -1 to all actions when jammed from the Matrix, like the static zone stat.

But, if you REALLY want to mess with your technomancers...dissonant Sprites. They have tons of nastiness that only messes with technomancers. Plus, little gives your players more pleasure than gakking a dissonant version of themselves.
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jan 24 2011, 02:26 PM) *
An EMP is going to kill anyone with a pacemaker or anyone being operated on in the area, as well as all GridGuide cars and what-not, so just a heads up there. Not that they didn't have it coming.
I give my TMs a -1 to all actions when jammed from the Matrix, like the static zone stat.

But, if you REALLY want to mess with your technomancers...dissonant Sprites. They have tons of nastiness that only messes with technomancers. Plus, little gives your players more pleasure than gakking a dissonant version of themselves.

Well i wanted ideas in case its needed but also just as a conversation piece. I know about dissonance etc not really looking at hosing the techno. I play technos myself and wanted to see if I should reasonably defend against (or try to) this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012