Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using Jackpoint as a means to kick off a plot hook
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
grahariel
Okay, so I've got a plot hook mapped out, but I don't want to deliver it to the PCs by the Johnson, but something different. The idea is that someone stole an ancient artifact of power from a Wuxing research lab. Wuxing has kept it under wraps. Now, I could have a Johnson come to them and offer them the job, but they haven't done anything too note worthy to warrant Wuxing to trust the PCs with such a critical task. So, I had the idea that one of the Technomancer's contacts, an AI once played by a player from a previous game, inform him about a recent thread on Jackpoint that had gone up some five minutes ago from when the PC gets the message. The Jackpoint thread has different people discussing the whole Wuxing thing even though no one but Wuxing should know about it. Word has reached Jackpoint that Wuxing is essentially a rumored seven figure payout for the retrieval of both the artifact and the person responsible. The info the PCs gleam from the Jackpoint thread are 1) Wuxing's supposedly willing to pay out seven figures as well as a com code to contact them about the offer, 2.) Rumors have already hit that the artifact is believed to be somewhere in Seattle, and that both Ares and S-K are on the move to get to it before Wuxing, 3.) The Wanabuchi-Rengo are looking to grab it to gain a foothold in the massive gang war they're losing (results from last campaign following the disappearance of Ryumyo), and 4.) rumors that several Runner teams have already tossed their hats into the ring for the money and street cred.

Please comment on the set up of the plot hook if you want, but what I'm really asking is can I use Jackpoint in game to launch the plot? And if so, are there any world rules I should be aware of in concern with Jackpoint such as accessibility, security, and the such.
Fortinbras
You might want to use ShadowSea rather than JackPoint. ShadowSea is more of communal mix of runners rather than the exclusive club/narrative device that is JackPoint.
Fatum
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jan 30 2011, 06:41 PM) *
You might want to use ShadowSea rather than JackPoint. ShadowSea is more of communal mix of runners rather than the exclusive club/narrative device that is JackPoint.

That's the point I believe (pun unintended). ShadowSea and ShadowLand are available to pretty much general public, you can't feed secret information through them.

QUOTE (grahariel @ Jan 30 2011, 09:33 AM) *
Please comment on the set up of the plot hook if you want, but what I'm really asking is can I use Jackpoint in game to launch the plot? And if so, are there any world rules I should be aware of in concern with Jackpoint such as accessibility, security, and the such.

I'd say Jackpoint can be used as a narrative device. However, since it's a private VPN coded by FastJack (and he's the best damn hacker ever, it's canon), if my players tried to penetrate it, and not get there legitimately by gaining street cred (and I believe yours don't have enough street cred, if Wuxing is not willing to work with them), I'd just go "No, the cryptography is like nothing you've ever seen, it'll take years to crack with your resources". After all, whole megas (like Horizon) are after Jackpoint, and yet are unable to penetrate it.
Makki
one PC needs a Jackpointer connection, ofc with a valid background.
ProfGast
QUOTE (Makki @ Jan 30 2011, 07:18 AM) *
one PC needs a Jackpointer connection, ofc with a valid background.

Connection 6, Loyalty 3 : Great-uncle FastJack? rotfl.gif
Fatum
QUOTE (ProfGast @ Jan 30 2011, 09:36 PM) *
Connection 6, Loyalty 3 : Great-uncle FastJack? rotfl.gif

Aha, right there with 6/6 President of UCAS, 14/6 Brackhavens and 3/6 Tom the Thor Operator.
ProfGast
Offhand, UCAS president would have a higher connection rating than 6.
not gonna overthink the other two you put down though biggrin.gif
Fatum
Single contacts can't have connection higher than 6, which is worldwide influence.
grahariel
This is good. I looked up ShadowSea on the Sixth World Wiki and it's in red. Anyone got any info on it that'd help me making more real in-game? And as far as ShadowLand goes, wasn't it replaced with Jackpoint after Crash 2.0?
ProfGast
Granted, they don't put down rules for connections higher than 6 for a single individual.

HOWEVER, UCAS president is probably a wee bit higher than the examples of: "mob boss, corporation executive, Mr. Johnson or Fixer with international ties"

Thus why I say 6 isn't appropriate.
Mardrax
Oh come on, as if any president before or especially after Dunkie have been anything but straw puppets. ;p
Fortinbras
QUOTE (grahariel @ Jan 30 2011, 04:47 PM) *
This is good. I looked up ShadowSea on the Sixth World Wiki and it's in red. Anyone got any info on it that'd help me making more real in-game? And as far as ShadowLand goes, wasn't it replaced with Jackpoint after Crash 2.0?

Runner's Companion p.130. Good times.
ShadowSea is more like the old Shadowland of old. There are more people on it than JackPoint, but there are secure private networks within the system based on one's professional rating. ShadowSea uses a "rep" system to help determine the runner's accessibility level.
If you would like something even more secret you might want to use The Exchange.

JackPoint is almost exclusive to the best of the best runners. I wouldn't give access to it to your players right away, but rather put it off in the distance as a goal for attaining Prime Runner status.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012